Hello to everyone.

I'd like to present a new project. I'm building an Underground Mining Loader. The idea came to me two years ago when Lego released the set Mine Loader (42049). By the time, I was expecting this to be the flagship model (1H) of that year, but it turned out to be a medium-size model. So I built my own. I took parts mainly from my Volvo Loader (42030) and built a version with a much lower profile. The result was ugly but functional. It's being on a corner getting dust.

A couple of weeks ago I took this Moc apart and I'm rebuilding it from scratch. I'm not showing the "original" because it's really ugly. I hope I can make a decent model, something between good-looking and functional. Although most of the ideas come from the previous Moc, the "improved version" it's proving to be a difficult job.  I think it would take a couple of weeks to finish the improved version. Here're some pictures from the first part. I'm happy with the results. I think 1/5 of the job is done.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to replicate a specific machine, but I have taken inspiration from the Caterpillar portfolio  

Thank you for your time.

****Pictures of the final model****

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_5675.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

Lateral access to motor. For maintenance purposes, I guess.

IMG_5667.JPG

Hardly noticeable IR receivers ;)

IMG_5669.JPG

Easy access to motor.

IMG_5674.JPG

Cabin with chair and control panel. No floor.

IMG_5673.JPG

Easy access to battery and cables. You can also accommodate the rechargeable battery.

IMG_5678.JPG

Edited by dagupa
Pictures of final model added.

13 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Good start! 

Just out of curiosity, did you take pictures of the other?

Sorry, no. But you are not missing anything, it was really ugly. With this one I feel confident. Today I spent almost 6 hours trying to figure out the correct geometry for the lift arm. I confess I got some help from a CAD software. It's finally done and it works fine. 30% done.

Here're some pics and a small video:

Here's the video

640x857.jpg

640x478.jpg

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

It looks a little long, is supposed too be?

You are absolutely right. I didn't realize how long it was until you pointed out. Thank you.

I have to cut at least four studs while keeping the lift arm long enough to dump the load over the hauler.   I'm thinking about moving the anchor point over the motors but that would increase the height two studs and one of my main goals it's to keep a low profile, after all, it's an underground loader. Back to 20%

Thank you for your comment.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:45 AM, Aventador2004 said:

I would recommend that you shorten the arm to where it bends.

I shortened the arm about there.

I also moved the motors backwards, which allows the anchor point to be place 2 studs back. Now the tires are very close the bucket. It does looks better but the downsize is that the weight (anchor point) is almost four studs away from the wheel hub, which technically would be the ideal place.

I still like the long lift arm but, from an engineering point of view, that was just terrible. The actuators were dealing with almost double the weight.

I will work a little more on the gears and the inside mechanics and I’m moving to the body. I don't know about adding a clutch gear. The actuator's driven gears slip when they reach the fully extended/contracted position so, most of the time, the motors don't stall except when the batteries are running low.

640x478.jpg

640x478.jpg

IMG_5650.JPG

On 5/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, suffocation said:

Awesome work so far! The looks and mechanics seem to be spot-on.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:20 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Great mechanics now. The longer been has better range, less power.

Thank you. There's still a lot of work to do. 

I made some progress with the body structure. The motor is located on the back of the loader.

No suspension since that would add at least two studs/units between the tire and the mudguard and my main goal is to keep a low profile.  After all, it's supposed to be driven through tunnels most of the time.

The black stairs and yellow handrail help maintenance personal to access the motor and other mechanical stuff. It's located in the rear part of the machine.

640x478.jpg

640x478.jpg

Looking great, That yellow is a sight for sore eyes, 

not ever seen an underground loader strangely enough considering where I live so look forward to the final model!

On 5/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, MangaNOID said:

Looking great, That yellow is a sight for sore eyes, 

not ever seen an underground loader strangely enough considering where I live so look forward to the final model!

That yellow is also a nightmare to render. I saw one once in Oregon, US. It was an old model in an already dying mine.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:10 PM, Aventador2004 said:

Nice So far, best of luck!

Thank you. It's been a hard work, but I have a lot of vacation days.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:37 PM, jorgeopesi said:

I love it without even being finished it, very good work.

I hope you like the final model. I think one more week to complete it

640x478.jpg

640x464.jpg

Marrying the body with the front part:

640x255.jpg

640x325.jpg

I have just discovered this topic. Well done! (so far). Only thing that bothers me is usage of Volvo bucket, which does not look like buckets from underground loaders (they do not have teeth):

R1600H.jpg

I am struggling with my own underground loader for few months now, so I will keep fingers crossed for finishing your model :)

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

I have just discovered this topic. Well done! (so far). Only thing that bothers me is usage of Volvo bucket, which does not look like buckets from underground loaders (they do not have teeth):

You're right. Most underground loaders have cleanup buckets, almost like they are trying to keep a clean cut. Maybe they don't have to break through the rocks and just deal with loose materials.

I don't know how to model a bucket. Maybe someone else will give it a try. Also, I used a lot of pieces from the Volvo set, so using the bucket was the easy solution. Guess where are the tires coming from? :)

I hope I will have a fully working model in one week.

15 hours ago, dagupa said:

Maybe they don't have to break through the rocks and just deal with loose materials.

Yes, they don't. In underground mines solid rock is treatened with explosives, so V shape structure with teeth is not needed, because it uses smaller forces to penetrate the crushed rocks.

15 hours ago, dagupa said:

Guess where are the tires coming from? :)

70595 maybe? :P

70595-1.jpg?201605201119

I'd go for panel built bucket. But it will be much heavier than Volvo bucket. Or 3D printed one...

I have made a quick sketch of panel based bucket. It is big, bulky, and awfull :)

lyzkamin.jpg

It does not resemble original bucket, but shows my idea. It could work, but with better built shape.
On other hand, bucket used in my loader is brick built with technic bits:

800x952.jpg

And it almost perfectly fits in dimensions of real bucket:
800x385.jpg

Very nice buckets, when I have build one I always have tried with the one with more panels for functionality and playability. 

On 5/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, Aventador2004 said:

Volvo wheels?

Yes, sir. Tires and yellow wheels. I guess when Lego designed set 42030 they scaled the wheels and the bucket to be realistic, so I used those wheels and bucket to scale mine. 

On 5/28/2018 at 3:08 PM, M_longer said:

I have made a quick sketch of panel based bucket. It is big, bulky, and awfull :)

It does not resemble original bucket, but shows my idea. It could work, but with better built shape.
On other hand, bucket used in my loader is brick built with technic bits:

And it almost perfectly fits in dimensions of real bucket:

Wow. The second bucket is really nice. I don't have the bricks to build it but I will do a CGI to see how it looks with the technic body that I'm building. I not sure what to expect since my model is made entirely out of technic pieces. I do like the bottom of the technic bucket (first one), but the upper part seems too square. Where can I see your loader?

I think I'll have the model working by Friday. I've been working 8 hour per day on it. I'll post some pictures to see what you guys think.

6 hours ago, dagupa said:

but the upper part seems too square

Yeah, it was quick sketch :)

6 hours ago, dagupa said:

Where can I see your loader?

Well... it still is just a frame with wheels, but it will taken apart and rebuilt from scratch with new pneumatic valves from 42080.
WIP photos are here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/M_longer/lkp-0903

800x450.jpg

Edited by M_longer

It is always a pleasure to see him building machinery even using these wheels, I have to take a closer look to this bucket, I didn´t know that it had mechanism.

9 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

It is always a pleasure to see him building machinery even using these wheels,

MIL-SPEC ZXL 1.9", with 106mm diameter. Almost exact match for Xerion wheels, but with more "underground" look (agrar tires look bad on that model, I tried).

9 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

, I have to take a closer look to this bucket, I didn´t know that it had mechanism.

There's a movable wall inside, pushed by two cylinders. It can be seen in action here:

Edited by M_longer