17 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I dunno, this set just looks like someone raided the parts bin and put a load of random things together to call it a set.

You want the 42080 discussion topic, that's next door. :tongue:

The movie of the B-model clearly shows that the bed cannot possibly empty itself (*) when the model is in short-wheel-base, as I feared earlier up in the thread. Again this is not a dig against LEGO, because I still think this set, actually both its models, are beyond cool.

It's more of a "dig" against VOLVO. I literally cannot think of a use for this feature, and yet, there it is.

I'm sure I'll be feeling very stupid when VOLVO eventually explains it all.

Also gotta love in the movie how you can briefly see the adult/dad swoosh the drone out of its' docking station. They make the scene last for a microsecond, and you actually only see his hand, almost as if it's not supposed to happen, but it's there all right and we all know that's exactly what we'll be doing ourselves :) (Well, technically, not me, as I won't be getting this set due to owning 42030 already).

(*) I mean in real life - I'm sure a LEGO payload will roll out just fine :)

1 hour ago, JimDude said:

The movie of the B-model clearly shows that the bed cannot possibly empty itself (*) when the model is in short-wheel-base, as I feared earlier up in the thread. Again this is not a dig against LEGO, because I still think this set, actually both its models, are beyond cool.

Besides being able to carry stuff uphill without spilling the contents like I wrote earlier, maybe it's to be able to "take a dump from high ground": as the pile of material on the ground grows, it needs to "raise its butt" to allow for the rest of the material to be dumped and not get clogged by what's already out.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Being able to carry stuff uphill without spilling the contents 

That can't be it. If you tilt the truck - by driving it uphill - until the bed is horizontal, then the center of the bed is resting directly above the rear axle. Which is of course bad for more than one reason. It would also be quite the hill (we're talking about approx. a 30* angle give or take a few degrees), and there's no way a wheeled vehicle would be useful for that, especially in area's where this type of vehicle is typically deployed (read: in mud).

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

[M]aybe it's to be able to "take a dump from high ground": 

Well, that could work in theory, but as you can see, the angle of the bed when tipping it over is not sufficient to let anything - other than LEGO :) - slide out. Then there's the issue of the pile of dirt that you'd want to dump on top of blocking the rear wheels. You can't back up far enough to have the bed empty on top of the previous pile.

I'm ~sure~ I'm giving this way too much thought :D.  Maybe there's a EuroVolvo forum out there where this would be more appropriate…

Edited by JimDude
formatting

If this model had pnaumatics instead of LA, with arm function connected to the counterweight function, I think it would be much more playable.

Maybe I'll buy 42080 to have the necessary components.

Idea for a MOD :wink:

5 hours ago, Lipko said:

The B model looks much more convincing than the A model.

I agree. While functionally, both are simple, the B look like something that could happen, and the A seems to have too much visual embellishment. 

Just one question - does anyone have partslist?

That's very interesting. I find the part about the camera arm striking. The Volvo designers didn't see it as needed, until the kids pointed out that they wanted to know if the machine could see them. That's a part of engineering that is often left out.

That eyestalk is 100% rule of cool. You could just as easily install cameras all over the chassis, but then it would be boring

That eyestalk is 100% rule of cool. You could just as easily install cameras all over the chassis, but then it would be boring.

On another note, I’d LOVE for Lego to make the Volvo Sfinx.

15 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

On another note, I’d LOVE for Lego to make the Volvo Sfinx.

That's just what I was thinking. This could be the start of a whole "future concept" series in Technic. That would be great.

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Nice find. When looking at the real thing I see that new 95 tractor tires would be more realistic...

Is there a real thing though? I'm not so sure. Also, it makes absolutely no sense for LEGO to design and produce new tires that are only 10% smaller than those used on the 42054 Claas.

Seeing the concept video made me even more interested in this LEGO set. Feels like a definite buy for me, especially since I don't own the Volvo 350F. Only thing I'm missing is a green volvo straight-six engine.

Edited by zoo

1 hour ago, zoo said:

Is there a real thing though? I'm not so sure. Also, it makes absolutely no sense for LEGO to design and produce new tires that are only 10% smaller than those used on the 42054 Claas.

At Volvo, they say that theoretical it can be made tomorrow because it is based on available technology. smaller tires have sense if you want to make classic tractors or harvester - they have about 10% smaller tires at rear...and 107 tires on a bit heavier mocs do not turn so easily :wink:

Love the Volvo prototype!

Now the Lego version looks a little more "ugly", I think Volvo designers made some adjustments on the final design.

The Lego version will need some external review in my opinion. The top of the real version is completely flat, the back is black and not DBG, the sticker 02 is placed on another panel... I don't see the time to buy the set to make these aesthetic improvements! 

10 hours ago, I_Igor said:

At Volvo, they say that theoretical it can be made tomorrow because it is based on available technology. smaller tires have sense if you want to make classic tractors or harvester - they have about 10% smaller tires at rear...and 107 tires on a bit heavier mocs do not turn so easily :wink:

They say it can be made, yes, but it doesn't exist yet. Who knows that the final specifications would be.

You seem to be very focused on correct scales on models. How many real life combine harvesters have larger front tires than those on the Claas Xerion?

I see another problem with smaller tractor tires and that is what wheel to put them on. The only ones I can think of that has somewhat the right dimensions are the wheels used on the 8880 Super Car and I'm not sure if they are properly constructed to be up to the task. So, in my world they would have to introduce a new wheel as well for these tires to happen. Sure, you could put slightly smaller tires on the Claas wheels but if used together with the 107 diameter tires on the same model, it would look a bit weird.

Sorry for the rather lengthy post, but I felt I wanted to elaborate on the topic a little. :)

Edited by zoo

Interesting video by Volvo and Lego. I like the set, though its not as smooth as it could be. Watching the video I thought why is this set not a mind storms project. That way it could be programmed to go around and do whatever.

H

20 minutes ago, zoo said:

They say it can be made, yes, but it doesn't exist yet. Who knows that the final specifications would be.

You seem to be very focused on correct scales on models. How many real life combine harvesters have larger front tires than those on the Claas Xerion?

I see another problem with smaller tractor tires and that is what wheel to put them on. The only ones I can think of that has somewhat the right dimensions are the wheels used on the 8880 Super Car and I'm not sure if they are properly constructed to be up to the task. So, in my world they would have to introduce a new wheel as well for these tires to happen. Sure, you could put slightly smaller tires on the Claas wheels but if used together with the 107 diameter tires on the same model, it would look a bit weird.

Sorry for the rather lengthy post, but I felt I wanted to elaborate on the topic a little. :)

I see no problem about longer post; what I meant is that harvrster could use CLAAS tires at front and 95s on rear. If you look at Lexion by CLAAS you can see in brochures that on ftont they use some 800/65r32 and on rear 620/75r26 (just one example for tire options). First one has some 1855mm diameter and second (rear) has some 1600mm in diameter... I know that one my good friend worked for CLAAS in harvester development for years until April this year...he worked also on terratrac system; but it is another story... about scales - IMHO it is nice to have your moc collection in same scale - like a little world of your own...so I prefer to make mocs in 1:17.5 or 1:18 scale; but this is my choice so noone has to agree. Sorry for too much offtopic.

Zeux by LEGO is very nice indeed and I do not care if it is not perfect in every detail 

8 minutes ago, Horace T said:

Interesting video by Volvo and Lego. I like the set, though its not as smooth as it could be. Watching the video I thought why is this set not a mind storms project. That way it could be programmed to go around and do whatever.

H

That would be great - interactions and integration of both LEGO themes :thumbup:

34 minutes ago, Horace T said:

H

Like cleaning out the litter box. Weird that at fist I didn't like this set at all, now it's starting to grow on me though, planned on getting it anyway just for bucket and wheels. 

I too would like to see slightly smaller tractor wheels, hopefully @I_Igors one man campaign pays off. 

@Johnny1360 thanks for support :classic:

When you look at real prototype and compare bucket from side view and tire diameter model should have smaller tractor tires

9 hours ago, I_Igor said:

If you look at Lexion by CLAAS you can see in brochures that on ftont they use some 800/65r32 and on rear 620/75r26 (just one example for tire options).

IMHO it is nice to have your moc collection in same scale - like a little world of your own...so I prefer to make mocs in 1:17.5 or 1:18 scale; but this is my choice so noone has to agree.

I get your point and I too will be very happy when LEGO decides to produce smaller tractor tires. 1:18 scale sounds like a good scale if one where to use the same scale for all their MOCs. I just think that the future tires would be more useful if they were a bit smaller than 95, say 84-88mm. I built a few tractors (without any regard to scale) back when I was a kid in the early 90:s, using the old 82 and 63 diameter tires and think that is a good size for a lego model. I see many MOCs around here that are way too large and heavy to be fully functional.

I would like to officially throw my support behind @I_Igor's campaign for smaller CLAAS tyres. I'd like to see a size fitting the pullback rims. :sweet:

Anyway, the inaccuracies on the ZEUX don't bother me. It still looks great.

A few more posts about tractor tyres and Jim will show up and split them into a new thread about tractor tyres so you guys can discuss to your heart's content. :tongue: