3 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

hm autonomous Battrax...

Well perhaps not autonomous, I like to imagine a future where minifigs are still relevant. But other than that, those wheels indeed look sweet for an RC battrax ^^. 

By the looks 2 large LAs (one for the boom, one to swing the back wheels up and down to wedge the rear end up). The bucket and a gear rack like from 42043 (driven by a worm by the looks) and a bunch of black 5x7 frames, but nothing really jumping out here. All the functions are direct drive by the looks and essentially no complexity.

I can't see how the steering is done at the back - could be via linkage instead of rack? Front steering is standard - no Ackermann.

Reasonably nice collection of parts maybe, but nothing very exciting. Looks pretty neat though. Think I'll get 42030 instead :)

1 minute ago, Kelkschiz said:

Well perhaps not autonomous, I like to imagine a future where minifigs are still relevant. But other than that, those wheels indeed look sweet for an RC battrax ^^. 

and they are suitable for any ground (sorry for a bit offtopic)

I found a bit more photos. Unfortunately, I have limitation for 10k in upload size ^.^ on forum. So, there is a link:

https://imgur.com/a/ZV6njJP

Request for somebody: please, copy photos in this thread :blush:

Edited by Ox1337

I think I know what the knobs are for! The front structure seems to move, and there is a gear rack in another picture.

Look in the above link for source of pictures.

There is another knob at the back. No idea what it is for. o.O

HoYOIYY.jpg

So there are totally 5 knobs. 1 knob is a 20z gear, serving as a HOG steering. 3 12z-gear on the side, 1 12z-gear at the back.

When I look at all the pictures I think the bottom LA is for tilting the hole structure the dig deeper (or to lift the bucket higher) and for creating a smaller turning radius.

The back looks like a balancing body that can move back and forward controlled with the knob at the back (visible when you look at the different pictures: position of the balance weight towards the HOG).

All function do not look linked and all controlled manual.

Edited by MikeTwo9398

Perhaps the rear structure can move backwards like a moveable counterweight? That could explain the rear gear wheel being in-line with the gear rack seen in closeups

Just now, nmono said:

This is a cool model, it looks like a scorpion with the tail raised!

It really does! Wonder if that's what Volvo were going for.

I think it is indeed true that the counterweight can slide back and forth.

42081_Prod.jpg?resize=640,440&ssl=1

IMG_5710.jpg?ssl=1

Look at the distance between the 20z gear knob and the 3x7 curve panel!

49 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think you're right, good catch!

52 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think it is indeed true that the counterweight can slide back and forth.

So I was right?

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So there are totally 5 knobs. 1 knob is a 20z gear, serving as a HOG steering. 3 12z-gear on the side, 1 12z-gear at the back.

So we have

• steering
  • arm
  • bucket tilt
  • moveable counterweight
  • rear axle height adjustment

That's 5 functions for 5 knobs. Don't know the exact mapping yet, but 5 function isn't bad. If it has fake engine, that's 6 functions, which is quite good even.

If somebody will motorize this thing, I think it will be an impressive machine.

But manual functions, expecially with LA, are really too slow.

I have a little bit of bitter feeling of dissonance. Model of AUTONOMOUS vehicle is all MANUAL. Don't get me wrong, cool vehicle and no - I don't suggest implementing mindstorms program-ability in it. But of all of the sets don't you feel like this one should've been powered?

Think about it - it has a descent size to fit functions and the tail bit is screaming to put a battery box inside as a counterweight.

Do you guys think they have a "add motor set" plan on this one? Or did they scrap motorization somewhere along the way but kept the frame size?

Edited by Omikron

10 hours ago, I_Igor said:

And my mobile phone has problem with display - it stil shows 42071...defenetly display bug...btw very interesting model.

I think it just took awhile for someone to change it, looks fine now on my phone/desktop. 

30 minutes ago, XtremeBuilder said:

I think it just took awhile for someone to change it, looks fine now on my phone/desktop. 

I was joking :wink:

There is a sticker hiding under the panels, which suggests that the frame may be opened to observe some inner feature like an engine.

Untitled.jpg

Just now, JonathanM said:

Do you have the link to the super-hires photo @Omikron?

I posted links to new sets in the 2018 set discussion topic.

I will double it

42081  :tongue:

Edited by Omikron

Thanks!

By the looks the orange connector at the rear folds up with the stickered panel (panel folds up towards the center?) while the one at the front is connected to the DBG panel on the side. I guess neither orange connector is fixed to the bent liftarms?

If the set is assembled correctly the upper grey panel with the "02" sticker can not open in this configuration. However the lower panel can open upwards.

I think either a mistake was made during the assembly or the upper panel with the "02" sticker is not intended to move. Based on the black pins configuration between the 2 panels. However a simple correction may make both panel operable.

EDIT: If orange axle connectors are "handles" and not connected to the frame then both panels open. Upper one opens upwards and lower one opens downwards.

Edited by Omikron