Murdoch17

Hogwarts Express with Hogsmeade station (real world MOC and a LDD WIP)

Since the 2018 Hogwarts Express (set 75955) is lacking in realism, (with the engine and tender in particular!) I decided to revise my custom version with ideas from the set, including printed 1x4 curve tiles with Hogwarts Castle printed on them.

48026925577_cd76dd4715_z.jpg

The locomotive is a heavily modified version of LDDModelmaker's Black 5 model with some parts from set 79111, Constitution Train Chase.

The tender features a three wheeled bogie design modified from the one in Anthony Sava's ALCO MRS-1. The middle axle moves side to side, as to allow going through switches and curves without issue.

48026853368_99552629a8_z.jpg

The inside of the cab features two gauges and the firebox.

42108658562_c04e64e508_z.jpg

In this false-color image, the red parts slide, the blue ones stay put to allow for the loco to go around curves and switches. (BTW: There are parts underneath that keep the sliding bogie from falling out.)

48026817481_2873215d46_z.jpg

The roof and side wall of each coach come off independently from each other, to reveal four seats for students and / or the occasional teacher.

48026853278_a32d853909_z.jpg

The Hogwarts Express is usually made up of four corridor BR MK I passenger coaches, although sometimes a special fifth coach is attached with an open floor plan. (however, in this Lego design, they are all open floor plan!) Also, the end car is not accurate to the films, but is what I prefer to the alternative: a gangway leading nowhere with no red light on the end.

48026925442_ce812d5d80_z.jpg

In-universe / Film History for the Hogwarts Express:

Leaving from Kings Cross' Platform 9 & 3/4 to Hogsmeade Station at exactly 9 AM, the Hogwarts Express carries students (and sometimes faculty) to and from Hogwarts' School of Witchcraft & Wizardry in the Harry Potter series of books and movies. It has been seen in every Harry Potter film, from it's first appearance in the beginning of Philosophers Stone to it's (so far) last at the end of Deathly Hallows. (part two)

The Hogwarts Express is usually only in the film for a short while, and it is generally a pleasant journey from Kings Cross to Hogsmeade, although Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and a certain Flying Ford Anglia might beg to differ!

50537297577_c660ab2b15_z.jpg

This 100% fictional version of Hogsmeade station (as in, not really based on any of the Harry Potter films) was inspired by several sets, mainly set 21324 (123 Sesame Street) and bits of my older Hogsmeade station MOCs from years past. The model is modular, and features a detachable track-side platform, ground floor, second floor, and roof. The platform is five tracks long, and starts three studs away from the rail head, making it a breeze for larger engines with wider pistons to pass through unrestricted.

50536422523_6bc18bdbb1_z.jpg

The street side features the same basic look as the other side, but in this case their is a staircase.... which could cause a problem for luggage trolleys as their is no ramp! As also used on the rail side, this Hogsmeade 1 x 4 tile should be placed on the four exposed studs on the second floor.

50537147326_1212c2ca8e_z.jpg

The upper floor features the station master's office with an little break room for an off-duty engine crewman to sleep in.  Also up here is a fireplace and two desks, one of which has an oil lamp on it.

50537147341_11a7e818b6_z.jpg

The lower floor features a bench for passengers out of the Scottish fog and rain. Also, the two ticket booth's share a single cash register, so the two ticket agents best be extra sure how much money goes where and who did what!

50537147381_789853f10e_z.jpg

Every floor & platform is grouped separately in LDD, as shown here.

As usual, comments, questions, suggestions, and complaints are always welcome!

EDIT 10/27/2020: Hogsmeade station LDD model replaced, screenshots and words updated accordingly. Real life pictures coming eventually. (Hopefully soon!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Good work on modelling "Olton Hall"! All I'd need to do is change the colour to black or dark green, and I'd have an accurate representation of the GWR Hall class. The coaches look pretty good too; an economic reproduction of the ubiquitous BR MK1s, even if I'd prefer the last coach to still have it's gangway connection. And certainly better proportioned than the new set. Well done.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, Jimbricked said:

10 times better than the New one that is coming out soon! Great job!

On 5/17/2018 at 12:01 AM, High_Admiral said:

Looks Good Murdoch! 

On 5/17/2018 at 5:29 AM, ColletArrow said:

Good work on modelling "Olton Hall"! All I'd need to do is change the colour to black or dark green, and I'd have an accurate representation of the GWR Hall class. The coaches look pretty good too; an economic reproduction of the ubiquitous BR MK1s, even if I'd prefer the last coach to still have it's gangway connection. And certainly better proportioned than the new set. Well done.

Thanks all I really appreciate the feedback!

42155277711_784fc0fbf7_z.jpg
I took someone on Facebook's idea and removed the odd-looking yellow boiler bands, and added the words "HOGWARTS RAILWAYS" to the tender, while the engine number (5972) has been moved to the cab walls, all in printed black 1 x 1 tiles. I hope everyone likes it, because these changes have been added to the first post in the updated pictures and text.

This model will remain digital until the new Harry Potter sets come out and the (hopefully) printed curved tiles / 4 x 4 dish are made available to buy on Bricklink... if they are not printed, I will modify the design to remove them. At the same time when I order this, I will also upgrade my 2-10-0 9F freight loco and re-wheel my Emerald Night. (That loco had sadly lost it's driving wheels to another loco in the name of progress, but it will rise again!)

(Slight bump)

47958192321_2ee2e43110_z.jpg

This complete model has been ordered from Bricklink as of 5/28/19. Expect to see it in real bricks very soon... but until you do, check out the revised coaches in the remade first post!

BUMP

48026925577_cd76dd4715_z.jpg

The model has been built in real bricks, and uploaded to the first post. See more of it above!

It's nice to see an appropriately sized tender, I love that design!

On 6/12/2019 at 6:47 PM, SD100 said:

It's nice to see an appropriately sized tender, I love that design!

On 6/12/2019 at 8:19 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Looks even better in real bricks! The studless boiler top is a nice improvement over the official set.

Thanks you guys, glad you like the Express.

...On a related note: I just need to finish combing the 2010 / 11 Hogwarts castle with the 2018 / 19 version to give the train something to run next to. It's taking some work, but it's turning out nicely. I've pre-ordered the Clock Tower set from Barnes and Noble so I can finish the current layout, and mocked up my own version of the 2011 set as it was too expensive to buy. (plus, I made so many changes, such as adding the Chamber of Secrets to the lowest level of the older "Battle of Hogwarts" set!) I'll post the pictures of the Castle in a related thread when they are done.

48154413667_99f849d984_z.jpg

Hogsmeade station has been designed, and will be built soon. Enjoy the pictures in the first post in the mean time!

48849438663_f3ec1d6004_z.jpg

Slight bump! I've designed a better Hogsmeade station (as seen in the updated first post), and hopefully it will be built next month... I also have finally taken the pictures of the Hogwarts Castle, and plan to upload them at around the same time as the station.

Keep your eyes peeled for more pictures in the mean time!

sorry for the BUMP / UPDATE (and the triple post):

50537297577_c660ab2b15_z.jpg

I was inspired by the look of "123 Sesame Street" (Ideas set 21324) to redesign my Hogsmeade station again. I've taken inspiration as well from all my previous versions, such as the drain pipe from 2004's "Motorized Hogwarts Express" (set 10132) and the idea of double doors from my last MOC station from this time in 2019. The first post has been updated, and will be again once this is built in real bricks.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17