rahziel

LEGO 60198 Cargo Train

2018 is becoming a good year to lego train fans, we wanted more of course, but give us material to moc at least, hehehe...

The powerful LEGO® City 60198 remote-controlled freight train is loaded, it just has to go!This fun LEGO City set includes a motorized locomotive with a 10-speed Bluetooth remote control, a driver's cab, a crane wagon with an extendible and rotating pole, a container car with 2 containers, a log car, a vehicle with doors armoured cars that open, a forklift truck with a complete safety cage and forks.This LEGO set also includes a complete oval circuit with 16 curved rails, 16 straight rails and a switch with lever, a control center with a ladder and 2 pallets to build with banknotes, gold bars, a scooter. Snow and 6 LEGO figures. Freight Train will set you back 189.99€, source brickset.com
60198-1.jpg

41426920824_f3a5b74ccb_o.jpg

lego-city-6098-cargo-train-2.jpg

What do you think?!

I don't like it. I don't feel like they ever put a good amount of material. They always do that "both sides identical" thing and it's repetitive. 

1 hour ago, Jimbricked said:

I don't like it. I don't feel like they ever put a good amount of material. They always do that "both sides identical" thing and it's repetitive. 

The last round of trains we got two cargo trains and one of them was not dual cab so they don't always do this, in fact of the train sets listed on brickset going back to 2006 less than half are dual cab engines. In any case: "In Europe, most modern locomotives are cab units with two cabs, one at each end."- Wikipedia Locomotive Cab

I think its awesome. Looks much better than those leaked pictures which seems to be the common theme lately; can't stop the leaks so only garbage images until we're ready. Kids who have even a tiny interest in trains are going to flip for this. Lots of play potential, the crane car is really cool, the forklift is one of the better ones Lego has done and the bank transport ties in to the City and the truly never-ending police vs thieves motif.

44 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

The last round of trains we got two cargo trains and one of them was not dual cab so they don't always do this, in fact of the train sets listed on brickset going back to 2006 less than half are dual cab engines. In any case: "In Europe, most modern locomotives are cab units with two cabs, one at each end."- Wikipedia Locomotive Cab

I think its awesome. Looks much better than those leaked pictures which seems to be the common theme lately; can't stop the leaks so only garbage images until we're ready. Kids who have even a tiny interest in trains are going to flip for this. Lots of play potential, the crane car is really cool, the forklift is one of the better ones Lego has done and the bank transport ties in to the City and the truly never-ending police vs thieves motif.

After looking over it again and taking into consideration what you've said, I agree. These actually look amazing.

I'm excited about this!   Never before have we gotten a train set that has had 16 straight track pieces.   Granted, we've lost one switch, compared to prior versions, but as far as track is concerned, that's my only complaint.   I've waffled back and forth over which "version" of the locomotive I liked better, the leaked prototype French one, or the one featured here.   I would've been fine with either, but I like the one TLG has chosen to go with.   There's a lot of stuff in this set.   Would it have been nice to get double axle bogies on each of the cars, sure.   Overall, I think TLG has done a fine job.  This should appeal to kids, and get decent sales.   I'll buy one.  Probably a second one once prices drop, too.

I got say too, that I prefer the initial locomotive from the leaked picture early this year, this set has a lot of nice elements, as price, no way 250$, brickset.com refers 60198 Freight Train will set you back 189.99€ in germany
800x413.jpg

@rahziel I was wondering how long it would be before my old topic was linked to! I would definitely have preferred the preliminary loco we saw, it had far more interesting shapes on it. However, this design really isn't as bad as I feared.

The set also makes up for the loco by the crane; I love that it features a worm-drive gearbox to raise and lower the boom as well as the obvious winch. I also note that the whole set is clearly designed to play with the rest of recent CITY sets. The bank truck and gold bricks will work with the police and mining themes, the snowmobile in a container can play with the upcoming Arctic line, the log cars can be loaded from the 60181 Forest tractor and the crane and containers are compatible with the 60169 Cargo terminal; the containers are the same size and the cranes have the same colour scheme. I reckon it's an excellent play set, and not too awful as a train set either.

Wow, based on the latest images, it's looking like TLG didn't make things easy to add lights to 60198.  The ditch lights appear to be attached to the top of  solid 1x1 bricks in SNOT orientation, and the lights atop the cab appear to be mounted to part 99780, which has a solid back, although the studs themselves are hollow.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=99780&idColor=1#T=S&C=85&O={"color":85,"iconly":0}

If the object is to make the ditch lights work, there isn't a lot of room to snake the existing #8870 LEDs into the nose, while routing the wires either over, or under, the part 6583 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6583#T=S&C=1&O={"color":1,"iconly":0}

I took the liberty of building the nosepiece, based on bricks I had on hand.  Without cosmetically altering the exterior appearance, I was able to hollow out everything behind the 2x2 tile on the front, and beneath the 2x3 sloped bricks.   There's a lot of space to be made, albeit at the expense of structural rigidity.  But the 1x6 plate portion of part 6583 runs directly behind where the LEDs would locate.   I'm struggling to find a way to mount them at the moment.

I'll post pics of this experiment later, after I have had a chance to take them.

I still haven't bought this set.   I was working on a mock-up, to try to work out the easiest way to light it, but it got packed away when I moved on to other projects, and I haven't picked it up again.

6 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Anybody figure out how to put lights in this model? 

5 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Anyone change the locomotive to a more American looking one?

Hey! You had the previous one! ;) let's enjoy something European this time ;>

10 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Anyone change the locomotive to a more American looking one?

Just use the last cargo train (blue)  to pull this 

Not trying to offend anyone, but to me the train seems to be a mix of a European and a North American train.  Guessing it could be modded to go either way.  Just wondering if anyone had and was willing to share pictures.

Just tell yourself it's a New Haven EP5 :thumbup: :grin:

New_Haven_EP5_1955.JPG

More seriously, making a US style hood unit is hard with those windscreens.  I searched the web for existing mods, but didn't find any. 

You could maybe get an F40PH out of it?  They come in green for Go Transit, or a fake shortline livery. :classic: 

I've been working on this again, also.   Purchased a 60198 recently, and was pleased to find out that the prototype cab I had built before its initial release was pretty much spot-on.   My solution is similar to @Goldenmasamune, but slightly different.   I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:19 AM, andythenorth said:

More seriously, making a US style hood unit is hard with those windscreens.  I searched the web for existing mods, but didn't find any. 

You could maybe get an F40PH out of it?  They come in green for Go Transit, or a fake shortline livery. :classic: 

I don't know, the super chief had that same windsheld (well, the fixed glass version of it). Should be easy enough to MOD in to a BN F-unit

bn04.jpg_thumb.jpg