rahziel

LEGO 60197 Passenger Train

2018 is becoming a good year to lego train fans, we wanted more of course, but give us material to moc at least, hehehe...

60197 Passenger Train (677 pieces - 129.99 €) As you probably already know, these two trains will come with a new Power Functions receiver and a 10-speed Bluetooth remote. For the passenger train, it will be necessary to acquire at least two copies to have a complete train ... This fun set includes a motorized locomotive with a 10-speed Bluetooth remote control, an opening train front, a driver's cab with an opening window, 2 cars with removable roof, seating and tables, a circuit complete oval with 16 curved rails and 4 straight rails, as well as a buildable dock with 2 seats and a map of rail services, train signage and 4 LEGO figures.
Note that two packs that will extend the basic circuit provided in these sets are provided: 60205 Train Tracks & Curves (20 pieces) and 60238 Switch Tracks (8 pieces). (Seen on Promobricks and Hothbricks)
60197-1.jpg

41426920734_0bd4ce6ffb_o.jpg

Edited by rahziel

It looks like this is based on the re-branded Eurostar trains. While I'm still not a fan of the front, like how the lights are right up next to each other, it does look FAR better with stickers than it did in the leaked images.

I thought the front would be a clone of the earlier 60051, glad to see its a bit different, also happy to see there's two carriages instead of the previous set, they seem the same design, damn it... but better work material than two cabs...

So what’s the bet here? Are we looking at yellow or keetorange?

Also, I wish they’d give us a properly shaped pantograph like in the Horizon Express :cry_sad:

Edited by Bartybum

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

So what’s the bet here? Are we looking at yellow or keetorange?

Also, I wish they’d give us a properly shaped pantograph like in the Horizon Express :cry_sad:

I think yellow-orange.  There seems to be a slight shade compared with the minifigure's yellow hands.

Me only cares about PF 2.0. :grin: Looking forward to seeing what the battery box looks like, as well as the plug design.

I like it.   The leaked images were always missing the stickers, and they add a lot of detail.   I especially like the way the front piece is blended into the rest of the train with the stickers.   The dithering on the rear end of the locomotive between the grey and blue stripes was probably unnecessary.  I might leave that sticker off of mine.   When funds allow, I'm definitely buying two of these.   I do like how there's a diner car and a coach (based on the coffee cup sticker on one, and a seat sticker on the other), so although they might be identical builds on the outside, I'd expect the interiors to be different.   Four cars and two locos should look very nice running together.  Much easier to get a "complete" train with this set than 60051.   First decent price drop, I'll bite.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Is it just me, or does the locomotive's front window look like the Speed Champions canopy part?

Well spotted, looks like it is indeed that piece, definitely not a "clip on" like the previous assembly.

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Is it just me, or does the locomotive's front window look like the Speed Champions canopy part?

Good work, I reckon it has to be that part. Interesting (and good) to see that they didn't make a new part to go with it.

5 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Me only cares about PF 2.0. :grin: Looking forward to seeing what the battery box looks like, as well as the plug design.

Pretty much the same here. I'm more interested in how big the battery box/receiver/etc is, and hence if they'll make PF in small locos easier. I'm also wondering what else they'll bring into the PF2.0 line; my first guess would be lights. On this set, the studs behind the headlights appear to be hollow, implying LEDs could be installed behind (similar to 60051).

14 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I think yellow-orange.  There seems to be a slight shade compared with the minifigure's yellow hands.

Bright-light orange [BL] I guess.

Already getting some ideas of buying one and building a few passenger cars and diner car.

Maybe make some banked curves and turn this into a bullet train

2 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I'm curious to see the new remote controller :classic:

Hey, that was my thought ... always the same with these folks (that I like so much!).

Will go for it (the cheaper passenger train) just for the sake of the new controllers.

Best
Thorsten

Well... I think I like it. Normally I am not too crazy about the big nose parts, but this could be a better one. Not least with a windshield that looks like LEGO.

It is nice to see that there is an onboard bistro or maybe even restaurant. It is not often we see that nowadays. I hope it has a different interior compared to the passenger coach.

The train is quite AFOL friendly, as you just have to buy two sets in order to have a full train with four coaches and two locomotives without any MODing needed. This is also a double-edged sword, though, as most AFOLs most likely cannot accept half a train and hence have to boy two sets :sceptic:

I look forward to see more pictures of this - and the other new trains.

1 hour ago, LAKAbricks said:

The train is quite AFOL friendly, as you just have to buy two sets in order to have a full train with four coaches and two locomotives without any MODing needed. This is also a double-edged sword, though, as most AFOLs most likely cannot accept half a train and hence have to boy two sets :sceptic:

I think most AFOLs would want a longer train than two locos and a coach, so they'd buy another set to expand it anyway. It's not too much of a double edged sword

I somewhat wonder if this new front assembly for the locomotive was designed for a future with the Friends theme in mind, given its much softer look compared to the front assembly utilized for 2014's passenger train. :shrug_oh_well:

1 minute ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I somewhat wonder if this new front assembly for the locomotive was designed for a future with the Friends theme in mind, given its much softer look compared to the front assembly utilized for 2014's passenger train. :shrug_oh_well:

I could also see it being used on an aircraft, if rotated 90 degrees (Attached with SNOT technique).  The hinged canopy would make a great cockpit area.

Yay, I'm now a Citizen...  That was my 100th post!

5 minutes ago, icemorons said:

I could also see it being used on an aircraft, if rotated 90 degrees (Attached with SNOT technique).  The hinged canopy would make a great cockpit area.

Sure, but I was particularly thinking that we could potentially see this part used on a passenger train set for the Friends theme sometime in the future. :wink:

11 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Funny, the thought of MODing it to a Friends train has crossed my mind.  It would go well with my Friends locomotive MOC from a few years ago. I even used the same yellow-orange / bright light orange for the trim.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, CarrollFilms said:

Did anybody else notice the new looking train track?

Hmm, I was just thinking there's small difference on the outer side, when they connect, but it doesn't seem so - it's just emphasized somehow on the pictures... 

Edited by Bartosz