rahziel

Lego 75955 Hogwarts Express

I am just disappointed that we do not get the train windows with it, but in the past something like the Knight bus (4866) had enough windows for two passenger cars... On the other hand, it will be easier and cheaper to build more cars via bricklink. However, I do not mind the lack of magnets and the train is very good-looking overall.

11 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I've got to know, would you say the color of the actual frogtarts express in the movie is closer to lego red or dark red?

I'd be tempted to say GWR 5972 was painted dark red but I'm not entirely sure. The carriages were MK1s in BR Maroon, so they were definitely dark red; I suspect the loco was painted to match them, but I'm not certain. Wikipedia states the loco was painted "crimson" for it's role in the films, but that's doesn't really clear much up. I'd suggest looking for yourself; try Google-image searching "Olton Hall", and you'll see it's not exactly clear-cut. In my opinion, Bright red is as good as Dark red, and TLG will have used it as it's cheaper and stands out more.

It's dark red. Which is a crying shame, as if they had done it dark red, I'd have some dark red train windows to use for other british coaches.

1 hour ago, Redimus said:

It's dark red. Which is a crying shame, as if they had done it dark red, I'd have some dark red train windows to use for other british coaches.

Maybe designers decided to reserve a Dark Red take on the Express for a potential D2C incarnation of the locomotive and its coaches. Something for the future, perhaps? :shrug_confused:

I actually really like this set and I will definitely be getting it, this will be my year for trains as I have none as of now. 

I really can't believe everyone is fine with no track pieces for it to sit on though, I would have gladly paid a few dollars more for a couple of track sections and feel the set would look more complete with them. 

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I really can't believe everyone is fine with no track pieces for it to sit on though, I would have gladly paid a few dollars more for a couple of track sections and feel the set would look more complete with them. 

For me, I'm absolutely fine with no track!

(I intend to buy many copies of 75955, mainly to make a decent length heavily modified train, but also just generally for some of the incredibly useful parts this set includes!)

I think it was a smart move on the front of TLG, as it keep the cost down of the set, thus making it more accessible to a greater number of people. Also, for some Harry Potter fans, they want a good looking Hogwarts Express, but may not want to run the train and just have it on display thus it suits that market.

Track packs are relatively inexpensive, so that should keep most happy enough, and for those hardcore 9V people out there, like myself, it means we don't have to acquire too much of 'Satan's Track'!

I just can't wait for the release of this!!!

Track pieces can be purchased separately if you need them.  There are track packs available at the LEGO Store or S@H and other retailers.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Maybe designers decided to reserve a Dark Red take on the Express for a potential D2C incarnation of the locomotive and its coaches. Something for the future, perhaps? :shrug_confused:

D2C?

8 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I actually really like this set and I will definitely be getting it, this will be my year for trains as I have none as of now. 

I have more than enough PF tract that I don't use, and (at least with my current set up) plenty of spare 9v track too, so for me it's a plus point that I'm not being forced to buy track I neither want or need.

Just now, Redimus said:

D2C?

Direct to Consumer, or in other words, a large, brand store exclusive set. 

Now the track pack is changing to include a little bit of everything, including track with trains won’t be as vital, helping to keep set prices down and hopefully increase the range. I imagine that the City sets will always include it for ‘out of the box’ playability, but those in other themes won’t need to...

My only gripe with this set is the lack of train windows. It looks like we are unlikely to be seeing anymore of them. 

Lack of magnets it no issue (I use bar couplings anyway) and I like the brick-built buffers. The loco could be better but all the parts are there to mod two sets into a proper loco leaving you with some useful spares and an extra carriage. 

Leaving out track and PF is also good because it brings down the price to one that non-train fans would be willing to pay which may encourage them into the train line.

I'm hesitant. For one I want a steam engine, but this one just looks terrible. I think buying two to make one decent loco would make sense, but since I'm not much of a creative guy myself I'd wait to see what others come up with before trying to modify the engine myself. 

Promobricks did a interview with one of the designers of the new Harry Potter sets. Thanks to Google translate, we can see that there seems to be a way to motorize the new Hogwarts Express!

Quotation from the website:

When asked why the train was not equipped with power functions, Mark John Staffort gave a surprising answer: internally, there were deliberations about how to motorize the train, especially as many fans would have wanted just that. In the end, they opted against the price but against it - but a conversion is not a problem. In the train there is enough space to accommodate the engine and the battery box. Speaking of price: That's also the reason why the set no railroad tracks are here. Train fans finally have enough rails at home.

I am very excited to hear this! I am hoping to get it sometimes and motorize it with the new POWER UP components IF it will be available to be bought separately. I initially thought to turn the motor and the battery/receiver box into the tender like I did with my Constitution and PF. But now after reading the interview, I wonder if the motor can be attached in the front of the locomotive since there are four train motor wheels already in the same place. But it probably would be a problem when it goes along a curve unless the motor is attached to more moving parts. 

Any other ideas?

Link: https://www.promobricks.de/lego-harry-potter-neue-sets-in-2019-stickerboegen-und-power-functions/62430

Edited by Gideon8

On 19/05/2018 at 5:54 PM, Johnny1360 said:

...... this will be my year for trains as I have none as of now. 

WHAT!?

I think the set look excellent apart from its 'squashed' look, and the fact that the carriage only seems to have four wheels.  This will be my seventh train, to be followed soon after by 60197 x 2 and 60198.

Edited by Vilhelm22

I've already started designing my own version of the hogwarts express. Currently it uses an L Motor as the base motor, and I have plans to have it very well hidden inside the locmotive. I also have plans to hide the Infared receiver fairly well, which I will probably swap for an S brick. 

On 5/21/2018 at 6:10 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

This right here his the hogwarts express I aspire too.  It doesn't even look like lego at first. 

More Pictures are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/31223598@N08/page13

EDIT: Here is another really good MOC: 

I'm happy to see people still talking about my Hogwarts Express after having built it so long ago, that is actually quite an old version and due to many new elements and some parts from this new Hogwarts Express set I took to refining my design.

So here is the loco as of today, the tender isn't quite finished yet and there may be some places yet to refine on the loco such as the cab interior and inside of the firebox which is big enough to hold a 2 x 3 red light brick for a lit fire. I will be using the nameplate piece from this new set which is something I have never been able to include due to brick built solutions being much too blocky.

Also my old design was 7 wide as that is the unofficial agreement within British loco builders for the max build width, but I did a test a while ago to convert it to 8 wide which was a huge upgrade in terms of structural stability. The footplate of my 7 wide version is made from 2 x 3 plates and 1 wide plates so it is very fragile and has to be picked up from certain points in order to not fall apart, but with it being 8 wide I can now use whole plates which are a huge step up.

Converting to 8 wide has also allowed me to make the connection of the L motor in between the middle and rear drive wheels much more solid to a point where it's gone from the weakest point to the strongest point of the loco. I hope to have this updated design brick built by the end of the year but it depends on what happens and how much I need to buy compared to how much I already own.

Just to be clear with the odd wheel size in that old screenshot, they were the LEGO train wheels which were placeholder wheels for Big Ben Bricks XL drivers but I have since been able to use the 3D models he provides on his site to almost fully visualise my design, there are a few parts that LDCad doesn't place quite right such as the pipe for the side of the boiler.

wNmHAYI.png

yLOpHQ8.png

Edited by ZANTHERA

2 hours ago, ZANTHERA said:

I'm happy to see people still talking about my Hogwarts Express after having built it so long ago, that is actually quite an old version and due to many new elements and some parts from this new Hogwarts Express set I took to refining my design.

So here is the loco as of today, the tender isn't quite finished yet and there may be some places yet to refine on the loco such as the cab interior and inside of the firebox which is big enough to hold a 2 x 3 red light brick for a lit fire. I will be using the nameplate piece from this new set which is something I have never been able to include due to brick built solutions being much too blocky.

Also my old design was 7 wide as that is the unofficial agreement within British loco builders for the max build width, but I did a test a while ago to convert it to 8 wide which was a huge upgrade in terms of structural stability. The footplate of my 7 wide version is made from 2 x 3 plates and 1 wide plates so it is very fragile and has to be picked up from certain points in order to not fall apart, but with it being 8 wide I can now use whole plates which are a huge step up.

Converting to 8 wide has also allowed me to make the connection of the L motor in between the middle and rear drive wheels much more solid to a point where it's gone from the weakest point to the strongest point of the loco. I hope to have this updated design brick built by the end of the year but it depends on what happens and how much I need to buy compared to how much I already own.

Just to be clear with the odd wheel size in that old screenshot, they were the LEGO train wheels which were placeholder wheels for Big Ben Bricks XL drivers but I have since been able to use the 3D models he provides on his site to almost fully visualise my design, there are a few parts that LDCad doesn't place quite right such as the pipe for the side of the boiler.

Man that looks good. are you going to do a brick built version? 

On 6/22/2018 at 6:34 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

Man that looks good. are you going to do a brick built version? 

The one you posted my LDD picture of has been brick built since 2010 and improved over the years, this refinement of the design is due to new elements being made available and I think it's just time I updated it since I've not touched the model for a few years now. Plus the new nameboard piece is great since I can finally add one.

More pictures here if you want to see a few different angles https://www.flickr.com/photos/53208525@N06/page2

d6Ouvh4.png

Edited by ZANTHERA

18 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

That is a really nice looking hogwarts express. it puts all the official models to shame 

Thanks, I always wanted to improve on their design. I knew it was designed for kids but it's a shame they never did a more accurate version. My version actually has the firebox curved bricks seen at the top from the original Hogwarts Express set I had new back in 2001, in fact there are quite a few pieces from that set in my MOC.

I've discovered that Bright Red actually varies depending on the year, the red seen in the '90s and early '00s is a slight more pinkish red than todays red which is much closer to orangey red, now that I've seen how much of difference it can make I want to try and make my rebuild out of the newer red rather than a mix of old and new red, plus this current MOC has some very new looking elements and old scratched up ones which I also want to avoid.

The majority of elements are from 2010 when I ordered many of the elements directly from LEGO through their Design By Me service so are quite new.

23 hours ago, ZANTHERA said:

Gn2hWjx.png

NLLuUbk.png

Very nice design and a contender for the “ultimate” Hogwarts Express.

I’m currently working on an 8 wide Venice Simplon Orient Express project and have been looking for an 8 wide steam loco design (since I have no experience at all with steam train MOCs). I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to share/sell your design so I could adapt it for that project?

On 6/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, ElectroDiva said:

Very nice design and a contender for the “ultimate” Hogwarts Express.

I’m currently working on an 8 wide Venice Simplon Orient Express project and have been looking for an 8 wide steam loco design (since I have no experience at all with steam train MOCs). I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to share/sell your design so I could adapt it for that project?

I've been asked for the design before and honestly I'm not too sure if I want to share it before it's fully finished or at all as I've spent many tens of hours designing it, plus I honestly wouldn't know what to ask in terms of selling instructions to it.

One of my other recent builds is this minifig scale 1969 Dodge Charger which has had a lot of interest in instructions too, the thing is it's only an LDD model for now and I haven't even made it in bricks myself yet, so don't want to give the instructions out so people get to build it before I as the designer get to.

It's not quite able to be built in red yet due to the front brackets at the wheel arch not being available in red but LEGO have recently introduced a 1 x 1 version of this bracket which will hopefully be made in red.

7JLgUpN.png

Edited by ZANTHERA