Rotation is purely cosmetic, the instructions confirm that. Also, there are 10 speed levels controlled by just pressing the + and - buttons multiple times.

6 minutes ago, Timoonn said:

So the rotation is just for "cosmetic"? You cant control something with the rotation?

It does not matter for the trains, but with the rotating center up/down can be easily adjusted to be left/right.

Do you think the orange PFS train controler is going to be removed from sales?

Edited by Timoonn

After releasing this? Absolutely. Especially after they ended up having to recall The original for catching fire, that sucker will be off the market as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, Timoonn said:

So the rotation is just for "cosmetic"? You cant control something with the rotation?

That's too bad.  I liked turning the knobs on the old PF IR Speed Controller.  I suppose you can gut the remote and make your own circuit board with functional knobs. 

1 hour ago, Timoonn said:

Do you think the orange PFS train controler is going to be removed from sales?

Probably at some point when the existing inventory has been sold off.  I wonder if they have stopped production yet.

16 hours ago, dr_spock said:

That's too bad.  I liked turning the knobs on the old PF IR Speed Controller.  I suppose you can gut the remote and make your own circuit board with functional knobs. 

Actually, I find it quite useful. My brain doesn't translate up&down controls to left&right with existing PF controllers. Unless you upgrade them with wheeled control.

I'm concerned more about the size. Revealed controller seem to be tiny, not really comfortable to use by AFOL's hands.

Another issues, is that "+" "-" are kind of flat - there's no raised edges. This could result in worse touch feedback.

Edited by zux

The connector looks like the connector for the lego boost, is it the same? There is also a separate connector in the "education" line, maybe it is that one?

I have always wanted a merger betwen the different lines, maybe it has happened?

Can somebody give an example of a scenario when you might rotate buttons at other angle than strictly horizontal or vertical?

11 minutes ago, Dalafik said:

Can somebody give an example of a scenario when you might rotate buttons at other angle than strictly horizontal or vertical?

When you want to steer, I would prefer horizontal vs vertical button placement and vice versa for FWD and REV motion.

Unless you meant specifically for trains.

Edited by technic_addict

Exactly - it's either horizontal or vertical. Why would I need to rotate, for example, 30 degrees clockwise?

4 minutes ago, Dalafik said:

Exactly - it's either horizontal or vertical. Why would I need to rotate, for example, 30 degrees clockwise?

Oh, I missed the part about "other than H or V"

Maybe to control something which is at an angle like a boom?  as the boom raises and lowers, you rotate the dial to match so the direction of extending and retracting are the same.

2 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Maybe to control something which is at an angle like a boom?  as the boom raises and lowers, you rotate the dial to match so the direction of extending and retracting are the same.

Plausible, but one has to be very bad at visual perception to benefit from this.

I managed to get my hands on two train sets, so @JopieK and I will do a review. There will probably more answers before we are done with it though.

77C5E865-561D-4855-BB6D-B1C781FF26FD.jpeg

I have one question burning at the back of my head, in case you got the opportunity to try it out working: is the controller setup (for example, setting the +/- buttons either for accelerating/decelerating for trains, or full forward/reverse for cars and tanks) done via a phone/tablet, which is then no longer required for normal play?

3 hours ago, Dalafik said:

1b3d9bb131753596a0a77f98a4d4d5e3.gif

There are as I understand it two more leads compared to the previoues one. It worked with a passive converter before. No more?

5 hours ago, Dalafik said:

You guys are over thinking this. You have to rotate past 30 or 45 degrees to get to 90 or 180 degrees. Just because you can stop there doesn't mean you have to nor that Lego intends you to. And let's be honest had Lego only put a positive stop at 90 and 180 degrees we would be complaining that we can't stop it at 30 or 45 degrees!

2 hours ago, AVCampos said:

I have one question burning at the back of my head, in case you got the opportunity to try it out working: is the controller setup (for example, setting the +/- buttons either for accelerating/decelerating for trains, or full forward/reverse for cars and tanks) done via a phone/tablet, which is then no longer required for normal play?

Cars and tanks, like trains, accelerate from a stop to full speed through a progression of increased speed. In this case 10 steps. 10 clicks of the + button will equal full forward speed and 10 clicks of the - button will give you either full reverse speed if starting from a stop or bring you to a stop if already at full speed. There won't be any programming of the buttons required. 

12 minutes ago, sed6 said:

You guys are over thinking this. You have to rotate past 30 or 45 degrees to get to 90 or 180 degrees. Just because you can stop there doesn't mean you have to nor that Lego intends you to. And let's be honest had Lego only put a positive stop at 90 and 180 degrees we would be complaining that we can't stop it at 30 or 45 degrees!

:grin: So true.