Dorino

[MOC] 7898 Crane - version 2

Hello everyone!

7898 Cargo Train Deluxe was released before i was pulled back to Lego world. As a fan of any kind of cranes i decided to build the one that came with the set. Unforunetly or fortunetly i didnt have some of the pieces so i had to improvise. 

Here's my take on it.

20180515_215327

First and most obvious change is colour change from green to blue, like always dictaded by limitation of my lego collection. 
Most of the parts used for "cabin" comes from 60052 Cargo Train

20180515_215355

I tried to keep crane cabin similar to original one with little tweaks. I also tried to add more details to it.

20180515_215944

Here it is with boom extended. I also increased total lenght of it by 2 studs. 

Thanks for watchimg, hope You like it, more photos in my flickr album

Also question, does anyone know what was TLG inspiration for this model? 

Edit : I think there should be at least one photo for comparison :)

075.jpg

Edited by Dorino

I love this redesign, simple but much cleaner and detailed than the original 7898 crane!

Keep it up!

-RailCo

Nice, I wanted to rebuild that one too - but since I don't even own 60052, my plan was to bricklink it all (I even attempted at locomotive with space for AAA battery holders instead of battery pack, but I need to learn how to build custom baseplates properly to finish it. Can share the model if you want). And yes, some of the green parts bump the price up a bit.

Currently I put the idea on hiatus, as the leaks showed the new cargo train is going to include crane as well.

Thanks for sharing your stab at it, appreciated and good to know there's more of people who, after getting back to Lego, are faced with sad fact that many great things have been discontinued long, long time ago:(

I am unfamiliar with the gray and black supports for the crane boom. Do you know the part number or set number it comes from?

15 hours ago, Rail Co said:

I love this redesign, simple but much cleaner and detailed than the original 7898 crane!

Thank You, even though making it simpler wasn't really my plan :)

8 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Nice, I wanted to rebuild that one too - but since I don't even own 60052, my plan was to bricklink it all (I even attempted at locomotive with space for AAA battery holders instead of battery pack, but I need to learn how to build custom baseplates properly to finish it. Can share the model if you want). And yes, some of the green parts bump the price up a bit.

I am pretty sure doors made it go high, i am starting to join all the people complaining about trains lacking doors.

8 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Currently I put the idea on hiatus, as the leaks showed the new cargo train is going to include crane as well.

Thanks for sharing your stab at it, appreciated and good to know there's more of people who, after getting back to Lego, are faced with sad fact that many great things have been discontinued long, long time ago:(

Luckily for You the train photos leaked just today. I just realised that another reason why i built this crane was to find excuse for not buying this years train. Will need to find way of getting new power function bits anyway.

49 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

I am unfamiliar with the gray and black supports for the crane boom. Do you know the part number or set number it comes from?

Sure!
87617 Cylinder 1 x 5 1/2 with Handle (Friction Cylinder)

63965 Bar 6L with Stop Ring

Edited by Dorino

Good work! I like the cab modifications, the new shape and colour work quite well. I reckon it will matche up nicely to the 60052 loco, in the same way that the original matched the set's loco. The extra small details and tiled base are nice too. The only thing I think you could improve are the outriggers; either make them a little more substantial and purposeful, or take them off entirely (wagon-mounted rail cranes I've seen never have them). I fear I may have to build a similar model now...

@1963maniac I believe they're these parts: 
Cylinder 1 x 5 1/2 with Handle; 87617 (designed to work with Bar 5L with handle; 87618)
Bar 6L with stop ring; 63965 (or any other long bar piece)
Technic, Axle connector with Axle hole; 32039

(Oops, Dorino posted just before I submitted mine!)

Edited by ColletArrow

Hi! Your version is far better than the original one with that 7725-ish cabin (which I frankly find horrible, loving 12v trains:wink:) - it looks more refined and solid! :thumbup:

Good job!

@DorinoI like the hydraulic rams you put in on the boom of the crane.   That "feature" was one of the poorer performing parts of the original 7898 crane.  You could never find that "sweet spot" between the boom being raised high enough, and extending outward far enough to realistically pick up the set's included car and place it on the intended flatcar.   I experimented with moving the boom out by one stud, moving the ram pivot point by half a stud, or one stud, and changing the flat geared pieces on the cab roof by one stud, but I couldn't find a compromise I liked, without distracting too much from the original aesthetic.   By going to an actual hydraulic ram setup using those pieces, there is infinite adjustment, rather than the discrete lock steps of the original design.  I'm going to try this the next time I get my 7898 out of storage.  Thanks for the idea!