TheLegoDr

Benny's x-wing X-Wing X-WING

I started building this last summer, but never was able to take pictures of it. When I finally did, I revealed it on AFOLs of Facebook to much fanfare, but I thought I would share it here as well.

First picture is an angle shot. It is a modified 9493. I extended the nose, modified cockpit and engines. But I used that set as a starting point, then changed things as it came along.

28247163588_6a0ee5c396_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

This is a rear shot of the engines.

28247163528_ce7d743f28_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

Cockpit area. Added some extra decals so Benny knows his surroundings better.

40312893510_4041cd6e5a_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

With s-foils in attack position. Front view.

42119812521_b0581ecd1a_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

Side view. I think this is one of my favorite angles.

40312893440_98d62631b4_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

Rear view.

28247163608_019c186256_c.jpgNeo Classic Space X-Wing by TheLegoDr, on Flickr

I know I've seen many classic space inspired X-Wings, but I liked doing it myself as well. It was a big hit at the few local LEGO shows I've taken it to. I have since built a 48x48 landing pad similar to the 928 landing pad, but no pictures taken yet. I have also built a classic space Y-Wing and currently working on another station/landing area for an A-Wing.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Plus, any critiques. I'm new to classic space inspired builds. I don't have a lot of these colors, so it is all new purchases for me, so I don't always have the greebling needed. I have given thought to going back and smoothing out the wings better and exposing less studs.

Cool reinterpretation! It looks nice and balanced and the classical colour-scheme works very well with it.:classic:

The spoiler is a fun idea. I actually would have exaggerated the classic space elements a bit more. Maybe more translucent pieces (guns, marking lights) and more redundant wings, fins and antennas. Still an excellent MOC! :classic: :thumbup:

Sweet, sweet, sweet! I love x-wings and I love classic space! Awesome model of the two blended together! :sweet: :thumbup:

5 hours ago, danth said:

Very nice! Love the spoiler, great touch.

Same here regarding the spoiler! :thumbup: :grin:

4 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I actually would have exaggerated the classic space elements a bit more. Maybe more translucent pieces (guns, marking lights) and more redundant wings, fins and antennas.

I guess I'd have to agree with this, as just a few more touches of Classic Space would've been nice.

Great build. Looks like the R2 unit is just the head piece. I'd try to make it removable but instead of using an R2 use more of a classic space robot. (Maybe not an exact classic space robot but something that fuses it and the design of the R2 together.)

Probably my favorite X-Wing build, period.

Just the right amount of detailing and greebling I think.  It looks serious.  And it might have been mentioned before but the spoiler is a great touch.

Thanks everyone!

I thought the spoiler set it apart from a traditional x-wing, so I'm glad people like it.

As for more classic space, I'm sure that is true. This was my first step into neo classic space so I'm sure there is room for improvement. I didn't want to go overboard like Benny's spaceship, so I went a more subtle approach.

I do agree on the R2 unit. I used his head because of the color scheme, but I agree on making a more classic looking droid. By remodeling the cockpit area to accommodate the new windscreen, I didn't have a lot of room for a droid, so his head was placed there. I figure he can still monitor and track things, just can't get up and move around.