Yatkuu

Jurassic Park Rollercoaster - Finished!

Hello Eurobricks!

Like a lot of folks I am super excited about the new rollercoaster sets being released by LEGO. For some reason however, the 1st thing that struck my mind when I heard about all this was... a Jurassic Park coaster ride. The original JP movie is an all time favorite of mine - and the release of the JP sets definitely placed me in a Dino mood.

I have no experience in building coasters - and I may very well end up failing this project - but I am thinking that with the help of the EB community I would stand a better chance to succeed in my project.

As you all know, the coaster tracks are not yet (widely) available - as a matter of fact I own zero tracks right now. BUT that has not stopped me from taking a head start with this project and I have already built a few structures . So, this topic is a Work in Progress thread - I want to share the progress and pick your brains for ideas if I ever get stuck.

Without further ado - here is what I have so far.

The starting point of the coaster will be the JP Visitor Center.

vc1.jpg

Right now it is essentially a half visitor center.. and it has no roof... and I took a bit of a creative license with the design. I do think it is however reminiscent enough of the movie building to be recognizable.

The idea is that the track will line up with the back of the building - I will probably build a platform on the other side to finish everything up so the track would be framed by the building on both sides. The building is quite large, I am planning to build a gift shop on one side and a restaurant on the other and try to fit a space for MF to wait in line for their turn...

The roof will definitely be a challenge - I will have to balance the need to have a structure to "finish up" the look - but at the same time try not to hide the interior too much from view as I plan to show this creation at public displays. I don't plan to connect all structures of the coaster with baseplates - that would be too big for me - but rather have all the pieces floating and only being connected by the tracks to allow for some flexibility.

vc2.jpg

I am hoping that the height of the building will allow me  to insert a small track drop at the exit so the cars can gain a bit of momentum (like in the official coaster set).

Update - Visitor center with a roof!

vc3.jpg

Next "stop" will be... the JP gate - of course.

jpgate.jpg

Pretty simple - the idea is that the track will run through the gate.

Next will be the Raptor pen.

raptorpen1.jpg

Here as well, the idea is that the track will run through the building - right in the middle of it.

raptorpen2.jpg

I left a hole in the back wall under the tower for that reason and the tower is somewhat modular to allow access to the inside.

And this is where I see my first technical challenge - I am hoping that it would be possible to build some sort of "flywheel" system inside the tower structure using power functions in order to give the cars a boost of acceleration to get them moving. There should be enough room to fit a battery box and a motor with the necessary Technic contraption (at least I hope). A contraption that would use a wheel and tire on each side to "shoot" the car up the track. (the best comparison I can think of is how an automatic Nerf blaster works. The problem is - I have absolutely zero Technic building skills and I don't know if this plan is even remotely realistic.

After the Raptor Pen, I'm thinking of having a steep incline (that is, IF the high incline track pieces seen in the creator fairground set are ever available in grey) followed by a drop and some turns - much like the official coaster set. Instead of using beams and scaffolding I am hoping that the whole thing could be dressed up as a small mountain - volcano perhaps? But I have not gotten this far yet.

Update - I give you the Jeep Wrangler T-Rex chase scene!

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

The Jeep design is based on the 2 Wrangler models of my good friend Pixel Fox - see here and here.

Hello everyone, time for a new update - I got my hands on some rollercoaster tracks!

So, I was able to lay down a first draft layout design, just to see how all the pieces could fit together.. and here is a video for it.

Jurassic Park ride - track layout draft #1

(for some reason I can't seem to be able to embed a video so the link will have to do.)

Also, I worked on some "flywheel" designs.

My first attempt was to try to have wheels on each side of the track, forming a sandwich to get the wagons to move. This was an epic failure.

Here are 2 videos showing the results - beware of the sound, this thing was very loud... not sure why, maybe some connections were not right. Either way this did not work, at all. FYI, the motor being used in this design was a train engine.

Flywheel attempt #1

Flywheel attempt #1 - FAIL!

So, I decided to investigate how LEGO had figured out that problem with the official coaster. This should have been my first move... because it worked like a charm.

Flywheel attempt #2 Success!

Now to be fair it is not exactly a flywheel system, the wheel are only on one side - and I used a chain link to get the wagons up the slope... but it works, it's super smooth and quiet so it's a definite win. This time I used a medium Motor with an IR remote to control the speed.

Update February 2019 - At last the project is complete!

Here are the final pictures.

46973241051_cb5798f08c_z.jpgWelcome... to Jurassic Park by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

46116978875_17da170444_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the visitor center (front) by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

47030470621_2369332117_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the visitor center (back) by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

46306654374_3a11b1fb58_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the loading platform by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

46116972595_582c5d19cf_z.jpgWhen the Dinosaurs ruled the Earth by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

46061939895_38f31a8098_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the Raptor pen by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

46276571514_d9a757f5e9_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the swamp by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

33134990568_7feeb15ce2_z.jpgJP roller coaster - the T-Rex chase by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

And a video of the roller coaster in action!

Thanks again for everyone who commented on the project, it was a lot of fun and a solid learning experience on my end.

Edited by Yatkuu
WIP update #3

It’s a great idea. The pieces you have made so far look really good.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress of this.

Sorry I am unable to help with your questions. I haven’t used the rollercoaster track pieces, but I’m sure somebody will be able to help and maybe you can get some ideas from the power functions feature of the new rollercoaster set.

I can't add much to that, but I'll also chime in to say that the pieces you've built so far look fantastic!  Even if the rollercoaster part ends up not working out, I'm sure it'll look great.  :classic:

Agree with the above. I really love the Jurassic films and you've captured the elements wonderfully. Your designs are simple yet extremely recognisable, it's great! The dead cow in the Raptor pen is a nice touch. :D

I can't help with technic stuff, but you did such a great job with these awesome builds, I especially love that raptor pen, probably the best one I've ever seen! I look forward to seeing this all finished, a rollercoaster going through these already great builds sounds very interesting.

It's looking awesome mate.

For the flywheel contraption to speed up the cars you mention - the official set uses something similar at the top, so just use that as the jumping off point.
You'll be limited in how much 'push' they can give you, mostly at it'll catch on the car behind each time, but, like the official set, you can alway use a few of them in sequence, and it's really just a matter of spacing them right on either side, so they don't add to much friction (have a look at how the Ferris Wheel works as well, similar mechanism) A basic mechanism shouldn't be too hard once you get started.

And can't wait to see the finished product, good luck mate.

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic comments!

I got one update today with the visitor center that now has a roof.

vc3.jpg

It is a pretty convoluted design of wedge plates... but I think it looks okay. I was also able to incorporate 4 windows to get more light inside of the building.

Now I think I will tackle some fences for the t-rex scene.

trexpen.jpg

The challenge here will be to find a way to put some wire on them.

I need some LBG flex tubes in big quantity and these pieces are just waaaay too expensive for that purpose.

I am actually considering to pick up a non-LEGO alternative... I know, not ideal. I heard of this vendor that has some pneumatic flex tube sold by the meter but I would prefer to find some custom flex tube as I think it would look better.

Anyone has any tips on that?

28 minutes ago, Yatkuu said:

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic comments!

I got one update today with the visitor center that now has a roof.

It is a pretty convoluted design of wedge plates... but I think it looks okay. I was also able to incorporate 4 windows to get more light inside of the building.

Now I think I will tackle some fences for the t-rex scene.

The challenge here will be to find a way to put some wire on them.

I need some LBG flex tubes in big quantity and these pieces are just waaaay too expensive for that purpose.

I am actually considering to pick up a non-LEGO alternative... I know, not ideal. I heard of this vendor that has some pneumatic flex tube sold by the meter but I would prefer to find some custom flex tube as I think it would look better.

Anyone has any tips on that?

This year's Dilophosaurus set had several new (?) wire pieces in pearl silver. That's probably your best bet. 

9 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

This year's Dilophosaurus set had several new (?) wire pieces in pearl silver. That's probably your best bet. 

Nice! I didn't know this piece.

This looks great so far! The buildings are really well recreated and look just like the real thing. I can't add much about rollercoaster pieces though. Jangbricks has made a quite extensive review and speedbuild video on it. Maybe that provides some feedback.

Apart from that: keep up the good work. This looks already very, very promising!:classic:

8 hours ago, Yatkuu said:

Nice! I didn't know this piece.

They are available from bricks & pieces for $.52 each, which beats Bricklink for price and available quantity. 

Search 27965

Edited by Boettner Builds

Hi everyone, time again for an update. First of all thank you for the advice on procuring the flex tube and alternates!

In regards to the parts sourcing for the project, I still don't have any tracks but I do have one update for anyone interested. I found that the track pieces can be purchased from the Parts and Replacement section of the Shop at Home so I placed an order there - it beats the BL prices by a wide margin! LBG flex tube can also be ordered this way so my fences will soon be all wired up!

Now for the project update... I give you the Jeep Wrangler T-Rex chase scene!

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

The Jeep design is based on the 2 Wrangler models of my good friend Pixel Fox - see here and here.

I am planning to use this scene as a backdrop for a section of the roller coaster.

On 27/5/2018 at 5:49 PM, Yatkuu said:

Hi everyone, time again for an update. First of all thank you for the advice on procuring the flex tube and alternates!

In regards to the parts sourcing for the project, I still don't have any tracks but I do have one update for anyone interested. I found that the track pieces can be purchased from the Parts and Replacement section of the Shop at Home so I placed an order there - it beats the BL prices by a wide margin! LBG flex tube can also be ordered this way so my fences will soon be all wired up!

Now for the project update... I give you the Jeep Wrangler T-Rex chase scene!

I am planning to use this scene as a backdrop for a section of the roller coaster.

I need to get an LDD File of this - best JP Jeep design I think I have seen!

Edited by LuxorV
Please do not quote images from the same page, and especially the post above yours. Thank you.

Hello everyone, time for a new update - I got my hands on some rollercoaster tracks!

So, I was able to lay down a first draft layout design, just to see how all the pieces could fit together.. and here is a video for it.

Jurassic Park ride - track layout draft #1

(for some reason I can't seem to be able to embed a video so the link will have to do.)

Also, I worked on some "flywheel" designs.

My first attempt was to try to have wheels on each side of the track, forming a sandwich to get the wagons to move. This was an epic failure.

Here are 2 videos showing the results - beware of the sound, this thing was very loud... not sure why, maybe some connections were not right. Either way this did not work, at all. FYI, the motor being used in this design was a train engine.

Flywheel attempt #1

Flywheel attempt #1 - FAIL!

So, I decided to investigate how LEGO had figured out that problem with the official coaster. This should have been my first move... because it worked like a charm.

Flywheel attempt #2 Success!

Now to be fair it is not exactly a flywheel system, the wheel are only on one side - and I used a chain link to get the wagons up the slope... but it works, it's super smooth and quiet so it's a definite win. This time I used a medium Motor with an IR remote to control the speed.

Edited by Yatkuu
Links to fix

Hey yatkuu I've been trying to get in contact with you I've messaged you in a few other places but eurobricks seems to be the place you are most active. I was wondering if you had an email or something I could contact you at thanks.

Roughly 6 months in the making, at last my roller coaster project is complete! Final pictures are visible in the original post above.

This layout was presented at the NCLug public display "LEGO Palooza" 2019 at the Moorhead Planetarium in Chapel Hill NC. The creation was a big success, the visitors - big and small - all liked it. The parents noticed the details such as the velociraptor claw in Grant's hand, the goat next to the T-Rex.. the raptor pen fences all bent and broken.. thing that fans of the original movie would care about. The kids were all about the dinos.. and Sponge Bob.

Sponge Bob is my "secret weapon" when it comes to public displays. I always hide him and Patrick in my creations - it never misses and the kids go crazy when they see him. This time I had Patrick in one of the coaster wagons, and Sponge Bob was riding a Pterodactyl.:laugh:

The little scenes from your coaster are really nice. Even if the roof from your visitor center is a bit to study to my taste, it is reconizable at first look. I like how you turned it into the coaster queuing. You managed to recreate the spirit of JP with its typical locations.