Sign in to follow this  
Andy98

NYCC Green Lantern 2011 Questions

Hey,

I need some help with verifying/authenticating a NYCC 2011 Green Lantern.  I got this minifigure from a private seller in Pennsylvania who said he went to the NYCC and got this minifigure.  All completely normal until I received the minifigure today, where upon I discovered it was missing its second face.  It has the smirking face on one side and nothing on the other.  The smirking face appears to be the exact same as the ones in pictures but I don't have another physical one to compare it to.  All the parts of the minifigure have the Lego logo on them including the head.  The seller also didn't provide the original card claims to have lost it.  My questions are:

1. Does anyone with the 2011 Green Lantern have a missing face?

2. If not, is this one a fake or a misprint?

3. How do I upload photos?  Says I can't upload photos beyond a certain size?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy98,

As far as I know (and a quick search seems to confirm), all of the official Lego releases of Green Lantern minifigures (except maybe the John Stewart version?) all have dual-printed heads, so if yours only has one it's more likely to be a fake/bootleg than a misprint.  I haven't seen anyone reporting the definitely legitimate minifigs having only 1 face, but there weren't that many released so who knows.

It would probably be a good idea to very carefully inspect the rest of the figure (inside the head, and in the head-stud, on top of the head peg of the torso, etc.) for the Lego logo along with the feel of the plastic and look of the printing, etc., to see if it looks authentic.

Feel free to post higher-res, detailed photos of the parts and I'm sure folks here can help. FYI on that topic per your question: The paperclip/upload option on Eurobricks that you're talking about is only for very small images to be used in your signature line here on the board.  You only get 100K total, so even 1 regular image would exceed that available space.  For sharing photos of MOCs, etc., you'll want to use a 3rd party service and I think most folks would recommend Flickr.

Here's a tutorial on linking/embedding Flickr images in your posts: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/97921-flickr-tutorial/

Thanks for your response! I uploaded some photos.  All parts have the Lego logo and I'm thinking that maybe I just cant find the head piece on BL?  All parts feel authentic and details are incredible.

I honestly don't really know what to make of this figure.

-Andy

40322884660_cdbd7574fe_z.jpgIMG_5959 by Andrew Gill, on Flickr

27259466847_7bf32f76ae_k.jpgIMG_5973 by Andrew Gill, on Flickr

40322864130_8b8e536dd0_k.jpgIMG_5975 by Andrew Gill, on Flickr

Looks like you have a decent quality reproduction/bootleg printed on (probably) genuine Lego parts.

The printing is far too raised to be official Lego pad printing (or has highlights included in the print that aren't supposed to be there), and while it does look pretty good it's not as crisp as a legit print (especially the "glow" around the lantern logo on the chest).  I mean, at least the head is a reproduction- the eyes of the mask aren't as finely detailed as they should be, the mask should be darker green (though that could be the lighting in the photo), and the print is shifted down (the cheekbone/jaw detail should stop right where the head piece starts to curve at the bottom, and these print down onto that area), and of course it should have the second face which it doesn't... which casts doubt on the rest of the fig as well.

Closely compare it to this know-legitimate example:

Lego SDCC Green Lantern

I agree with the above, I wasn't sure about the face, it could just be the angle of the shot, but they do appear t be off vertically.  Combine that with the one vs two side print, it is suspicious. That gets you looking deeper and the light lines around the lantern are also off. Then there is the missing backing card, again highly suspicious. The print on the back does seem to be raised significantly compared to normal lego print. One of those things in isolation may be feasible, but there are so many things that are not quite right.

Thanks guys.  After more examination, it does appear to not be a genuine NYCC Green Lantern.  I agree with you both that too many things are wrong. All the printing is slightly off(back especially) and the printing is raised. I'll contact the seller and see what we can work out.

On a totally completely different note, Anyone want to buy a totally legitimate NYCC 2011 green lantern for $5??? :wink:

Edited by Andy98