peedeejay

[MOC] Modular Sushi Bar

Hi everyone,

I would like to present my newest modular building: A modular sushi bar.

The lower level features the sushi bar including a 和室 (japanese room) which is currently packed with a lot of salary men and woman which have been invited by their boss for after hour drinks. Within the restaurant you can choose to either dine the traditional way at the bar where the itamae is serving you directly or sit down with a group of people at one of the tables. The middle and upper level features an apartment.

It took me a while to get a new build done due to lack of time and inspiration but once I started again it was quite a breeze. I enjoyed using some new pieces, especially all the new tiles which are round or partially round. Also finally I could build windows using the new double jumper tile as a base. The biggest challenge from an architectural standpoint was the topmost corner of the building which took me quite a few tries until I was happy with it (I fell in love with the new semi cut 1x2 round slope!).

Statistics

Parts: 4999 (coincidence! ;-))

Build time: around 60h within LDD and 8h with real bricks

Bricklink orders: 12

Below you can find a selection of images. All of them can be viewed here: http://kawano.de/LEGO/Sushi_Bar/sushi_bar.html

Again a building instruction is available for purchase for those who would like to build it themselves! Also complete building kits (instruction + all necessary bricks) will be available soon but in reduced quantity (PM me if you would like to make a resveration).

Sushi_Bar_01_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_04_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_05_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_06_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_07_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_11_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_12_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_13_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_14_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_18_t.JPG

Sushi_Bar_23_t.JPG

Hooray the brilliant Peedeejay has returned with an amazing new modular! Gorgeous design. I love the varying depth of the exterior facade, the protrusion of building where it rounds the corner and the balconies, the vertical build of the masonry profile bricks and the overall color scheme. You've made excellent use of recent and new parts and great utilization of interior space. So many creative and detailed building techniques everywhere. Absolutely amazing and inspiring work. I'll be looking at this for quite some time. Amazing work!

Boy, you certainly went crazy with all the newer quarter tiles, macaroni tiles, and cut-corner bow slopes on the exterior of this build! A most excellent modular! :thumbup: :classic:

Nice work!

Love the details on the exterior, especially the extensive use of all those newer parts. Still rare to see all of them at once. The interior is exceptional as well, great detailing throughout!

Not sure about the vertical masonry bricks, though. Never seen something like that in real life.

The new double jumper plate is so useful. When I read your description, I thought you'd use it to center a 2-wide window over 3 studs, but using it to attach the windows and the flower-beds in front of them is very nice aswell. Wish that piece was available in tan, really could've used it on my medieval townhouse to attach the knight...

Cool building... and so many curves!  I think the vertical masonry/profile bricks work pretty well for giving it a little extra visual detail there.  Interesting shape to the building footprint as well.  Nice interior details; I like the private paneled room.

Constructive criticism:  I think it needs some kind of more visible exterior signage to denote that it's a restaurant, and to me it looks like the protruding corner should be the main entrance which seems to be supported by the actual door being obscured by that bench and thus even less visible without a sign or awning or something.

Nice build!

This looks fantastic and is the quality of an official modular as far as I'm concerned. I love all the detailing around the windows with and how you've used all those curved tile pieces. I also really like the colours used on the exterior.

The interior is also lovely and jam packed with details. It's a brilliant MOC. :thumbup::classic:

Very smart looking building! I like the window framing on the top two floors. The interior is very nice, I don't know what a sushi bar should look like inside as I've never been in one! :laugh: I am maybe in slight agreement with @deraven that perhaps it could do with some signage so as to tell its a restaurant but other than that great job! :thumbup:

Here's your longly awaited modular! But hey, you now what? It was seriously worth waiting for it! :sweet:

That's one of the most unique modulars I've seen! Great use of new parts like everyone said, amazing techniques, depth and color scheme, and the interior is brilliant as all your other modulars! I agree that a sign would be nice. I'm also not totally sure about the white curtains but it may grow on me! Otherwise, this is a top notch modular! Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

I think you should share your wonderful work on Flickr as well, your gorgeous modulars deserve to be more popular!

Edited by LegoModularFan

Terrific! Some great details. I really like the corner display window. Also great use of the newer curved tile pieces.

great exterior, and terrific interiors!!! the only thing is that from the outside you can't tell this is a sushi bar without looking trough the windows :) it's in disguise!

Amazing, the interior is so precise and detailed and the exterior looks also great. I love the vertical brick between the windows. I think that I might steal borrow this idea from You. :wink:

On 14-5-2018 at 8:26 AM, RogerSmith said:

Not sure about the vertical masonry bricks, though. Never seen something like that in real life.

I agree. I think it would look much much better with the other side on the outside.

Wonderful modular! Gives me so much inspiration! Thank you!!!

Edited by BrickyBoy

Wow! As always an amazing building with many nice details.

Just one thing I would change is the glass at the separated room and also insert the printed one.

That is beautiful mate. Especially love the SNOTing with the 'brick' bricks on the upper floors. Nice touch.

Pretty good job, nice place to eat sushi and live !

it seems that one of the customers (lady eating red crab) has no face ? ;)

Thanks everyone! (Been away a while so this comes a bit late..)

Regarding the missing signage. I tried to build one and after 4 or 5 failed attempts and nothing that really convinced me I decided to go with the "hidden gem" story. A restaurant that is so good that it really doesn't need any additional signane. Lame excuse, I know. :laugh:

The vertical bricks are something that you can see sometimes within my home town Hamburg (we have a lot of brick built buildings here), however usually not in the way I used them, since in my build they are kinda part of the supporting structure of the facade and not just for decoration, but I thought "what the heck, let's go a bit crazy on this one". ;-)

I am planning to post some building techniques on the pillars and corner tiles soon. Hopefully someone will find them useful.

Hi

this looks amazing the details are stunning!!!

Great Great Work!!!

Greetings