For a while I thought I was looking at renders, but I was wrong. This is coming together great, really cool to see the progress!

Thanks a lot for the encouraging feedback :sweet:

7 hours ago, Jim said:

You will be needing a Car Expert tag soon :wink: 

:cry_happy:

The rear axle doesn't look like what I'm going for, the wheels are simply attached to two technic bricks, I want something that kind of looks like double-wishbone independent suspension.

I came up with an alternative last night.

Rear axle lower subframe:

41291152185_439d608f14_c.jpg

The black frame will attach to the underside of the gearbox, the tan cross axle pins are what the wheels attach to and the upper holes will provide attachment points for the rear subframe.

This means that I'll be adjusting the rear subframe next, in order to fit the new rear axle installation. I will give the skeleton structure a little bit more thought this time, considering I'll have to connect air intakes and exhausts. But I will get there eventually :wink:.

Edited by Sebeus I

This is looking really slick !

It's not so technic, but I like it a lot, the interior is simply beautifull :wub:

This is turning out great! All the little details are coming together really nice! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Rear Subframe:

28377517638_e124e7afe3_c.jpg

This new subframe will make it easier to route the exhaust pipes through the dense chassis structure.

28377517978_33af5ba57f_z.jpg

I'll have to make some modifications to the underside of the engine and transmission though, in order to fit in the new subframe.

28377518328_dae1b2f99a_z.jpg

But I'm sure it will work out this time :classic:.

Fuel Tank:

42251244881_8ce50034c2_c.jpg

I almost forgot this rather indispensable component. It will be located behind the seats, just in front of the engine.

41349857535_6ce8e32b39_z.jpg

I should still attach the filler necks (one on each side) though.

I might have the next update ready by tomorrow.

The rear suspension looks great, but it is a bit flimsy... It is only the friction on the stud of the jumperplates that prevents the whole assy from rotating, right?

I do love that slight taper in the grey beams :wub:

I really dig these Model Team type builds and this is no exception. Great work so far, following with great interest, so many good ideas here. Look forward to seeing it finished. 

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The rear suspension looks great, but it is a bit flimsy... It is only the friction on the stud of the jumperplates that prevents the whole assy from rotating, right?

At the moment, yes. But the construction will become more sturdy once the gearbox is in place as that one will connect to both lower suspension frame and upper subframe.

Electronic Control Unit:

41559018484_ec22d7bee9_z.jpg

The ECU, in a plastic case ofcourse, to protect it from water and dirt. This one goes underneath the dashboard.

The main wiring harness attached to it. these wirings are often referred to as 'cuttlefish' in an assembly area.

Battery:

42233544742_75f63b62e8_z.jpg

Located in the lower front of the vehicle. Normally it should have some warning stickers.

I didn't bother to make a fuse box, not really relevant on this scale, besides, I haven't foreseen any airconditioning, windscreenheater or any other device that might need a fuse anyway.

Oil reservoir:

41559017684_9ae0549482_z.jpg

Assembly:

40477658000_08f82372e4_c.jpg

Everything comes together...

41562885484_8d7cd90cc4_c.jpg

To be honest I have no Idea what the welding kit is supposed to represent, just a meaningless detail I guess :grin:

The only thing that remains now before I can start on the bodywork are the exhaust and air intake pipes.

Edited by Sebeus I

2 hours ago, Sebeus I said:

To be honest I have no Idea what the welding kit is supposed to represent, just a meaningless detail I guess :grin:

Hydraulics for suspension? Power steering fluid? Engine coolant? I know, last one sounds a bit odd, but radiator could still be in the front, so it would make sense. 

If it were near the engine it'd be the nitrous boost; perhaps it's a tank for air-assisted braking or something?

Interesting suggestions :laugh:.

I've completed stage 1:

Complete Chassis:

27482211917_0d9dbfa7e9_c.jpg

Exhaust mufflers, air intakes and intercoolers added. (in some pictures I changed the intercoolers).

41629289454_f084049022_c.jpg

The air intakes may still be relocated, it kind of depends on the bodywork I will add.

28478416658_649d8c5417_c.jpg

The sand red grill tiles are supposed to be parts of the air filter, which should normally not be visible.

28478439108_408265b08c_c.jpg

The complete engine package fits barely on the chassis, it was quite the challenge to route exhausts and air pipes through the installation.

40552819940_3e69b72126_c.jpg

I added protection for the steering cylinder, while this is accurate to the real thing my chassis could use the extra reinforcement (the front crash structure crashed a bit too easely :grin:).

The exhaust pipes are insulated near the rear suspension ( the ribbed metallic hoses) as they pass through the wishbone installation.

The actual exhaust tips will be determined as I build the rear bumper.

42311604812_f91ff35ce0_c.jpg

That's it for now, the bodywork will be something entirely different, I don't know yet what functionality I want to integrate (opening doors, hood, etc.) as my main focus will be the esthetics.

At the same time I want to keep the chassis modular in that sense that it should be easy to swap bodywork. 

I do have some other projects to attend to first though so for now it will stay as it is.

Thank you all for the nice comments. :classic:

Love the complicated look of the suspension, engine and framework at the rear! And the ECU under the dashboard is a true highlight of your dedication to the model. You madman! :tongue: 

On 9 juni 2018 at 4:48 PM, Brick_Sticker said:

Any updates on this moc? I'd love to see the completed bodywork and how it all fits together!

At the moment I'm moving to a new place but it's the 1st project on my list to continue once I'm settled :wink:.

Only just found this thread and I just love how you’re building this as a car would with detail to each and every sub assembly. It’ll almost be a shame to clad it in a body.

It's not much but it's something;

28410691607_3345268e5a_z.jpg

I intend to make the bodywork so that it would be easy to remove, that way the inner works can still be accessed.

28849506537_4f5714dd66_c.jpg

The body work is challenging. I decided to leave functionality for what it is and focus on the overal shape of the vehicle. So no opening doors on this one.

43069554284_e330871e16_c.jpg

I was happy with this at first but half an hour later I looked at it and thought the lines were too straight, the design too static. I might still change it completely later.

29915601488_bf83f8f826_c.jpg

Not so sure about the headlights, maybe they look better if I add some vent below them.

Edited by Sebeus I

My suggestion is to use the driver's side A pillar (the black one). To me the straight shape of it looks better than the curved (red) one.