Bob

Imperial Officers Mafia - Conclusion

officersbanner.png

Conclusion: May the Dark Side Be With You

img_0486.jpg

"As I was saying..." the Grand Admiral said. "I am innocent. I swear."

img_0487.jpg

"No you are not." the Emperor said, entering suddenly. "I have finally foreseen it." 

img_0488.jpg

He approached the Chiss Admiral, and electrocuted him with his Force Lightning.

"Oh no! I seriously should have seen this coming! I'm supposed to be very intelligent and calculating."

img_0489.jpg

And then he was dead.

"Yay!" someone said. "We can have a party! The scum are defeated!"

img_0490.jpg

"Not quite..." Admiral Greer / Tariq j said, reaching for his hair and pulling something out of his pocket.

img_0491.jpg

"This party's over!" he declared.

Admiral Greer was none other than former Jedi Master Mace Windu. He was a Neutral. Darth Vader was equally quick to pull out his lightsaber.

img_0492.jpg

The two clashed swords.

"My Emperor!" an officer cried. "Where is your lightsaber?!"

"It flew out the window somewhere over Coruscant and I never got a new one." he said.

"Where did Mace Windu get a new hand?" someone else asked.

"I know a good hand guy." he said.

img_0493.jpg

But the Jedi Master was outnumbered by Darth Vader, the Emperor, the two Royal Guards fast approaching, and the many Stormtroopers. He fled.

~~~

Congratulations to the Winners of Imperial Officers Mafia: The Loyalists!

img_0494.jpg

and to the Neutral, Admiral Greer / Tariq j!

img_0495.jpg

~~~

Bonus:

img_0496.jpg

"I thought I was the only one in the Star Wars universe with a purple lightsaber." Mace Windu said.

"Well, I don't officially exist anymore in canon, so I guess you are." Mara Jade said.

~~~

Night Actions:
d20686c2276935c7cf78987040e710e3.png

Important Note: None of the night actions from night four counted, as the game was already over. I just wanted to see what the town was planning. I decided to end the game though before fhomess and LegoRacer1 submitted their night actions.

There was a lot of confusion as to why the scum kill on Night Two on Tariq j didn't go through. He was bulletproof. 

Feedback will come later. I welcome feedback to me as to my hosting. This is, I believe, the 8th Mafia I've hosted, in addition to 2 Mysteries (We don't have mysteries on Eurobricks anymore, that's really sad :cry_sad:) I think that's the most hosting out of everyone on EB, so you'd think I'd be the most experienced. However, I have to apologize to Actor Builder straight away. As soon as I ruled ending the day strictly at the 72 hour mark despite ending it two hours later, I knew I made a mistake, but by then it was too late. The pictures had already been taken before I ruled. I hadn't seen Peanuts' vote either. I mean, claiming vigilante, he would've been killed by fhomess that night, but I imagine the scum would've tracked Actor Builder and found out who the vigilante is, which could've been a game changer. I imagine the game might've gone very differently if this had happened, despite the fact that the town had identified the scum very quickly. Unfortunately, I've been out of the mafia game for awhile, so I don't know people's scum tells anymore, which means I couldn't really identify who was acting strangely or not. I imagine Sandy had the same problem as I did at first, but she seemed to adapt quickly. 

So, with all that said, if you are willing to suffer through another Bob game I am willing to host Imperial Officers Mafia 2, a direct sequel, if nobody wants to host a game after this. It will take a week or two as I've got to order some things off of Bricklink if there's enough interest and nobody else is planning a game (I know Sandy expressed interest in hosting Elves Mafia finally) As I said, my collection is in America, and I'm in England, otherwise I'd host a completely different game that a sequel, (which will remain a secret!) but that will wait for another day. 

Thank you all for playing! I'm glad that mafia is still going, over ten years strong since I started playing it on here. I've seen a lot of players come and go, and some remain the same. I'll post some more later on.

Yaaay! :grin:

Congratulations to our team! We got lucky, but we also worked together very well. :thumbup:

So apparently fhomess killing jluck overrode jluck's kill, since Peanuts was watching me as I protected myself on Night Three but he saw nobody targetting me.

I don't understand how legoracer got a town result from investigating mediumsnowman, but maybe we'll hear that soon. :blush: 

Thanks bob!!!!

Had a great time in my return to EB mafia. Glad to be on the winning team, and glad to have (somehow) picked scum out. I'm normally terrible at scum reads, but somehow this game I pinged on Actor and mediumsnowman at the right time. To be honest, I originally started that vote on actor just to get people talking, but as I dug around to get some "evidence" to justify my vote, and as the day went on, I got fairly confident I was right. 

I agree that the ending time thing was an error - that's not normally how games run here - but it happened. 

Peanuts - if the vote had started to change on the last day, would you have told us you were blocked night 1? Or was the fail not clear why? I certainly understand not wanting to reveal your PR, but to be honest, the fact that you wouldn't verify being blocked was part of why I kept my vote on medium. 

and fhomess - fantastic vig play! 

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yaaay! :grin:

Congratulations to our team! We got lucky, but we also worked together very well. :thumbup:

So apparently fhomess killing jluck overrode jluck's kill, since Peanuts was watching me as I protected myself on Night Three but he saw nobody targetting me.

I don't understand how legoracer got a town result from investigating mediumsnowman, but maybe we'll hear that soon. :blush: 

Yes, I'd like some clarity on that kill/watch tangle. 

I'm assuming medium really was a godfather? That's the easy explanation for the town result.

And medium - you played really well, especially in contacting me when you did. I waffled back and forth a TON on the last day. I think the only mistake was how aggressively you tried to not get lynched the last day. That was why I (and I'm sure others) voted for you. If you were legitimately the town blocker, you should have been ok with either order of lynch/vig killing you and khscarymovie. The double elimination really was the best move for town to make, even sacrificing the blocker, and I think you were too self-defensive about it. So I kept my vote where it was because I truly didn't care which of you was lynched. 

Well that was definitely a fun ride. I'm pretty sure the last time a town team won was The Convention around two years ago. So good job us! This was my first time as a town or so I'm glad I used it well and was able to help the town won in the end. Out of all the games I played this has been the best town team I think, out of eleven players we only lost two. I'm definitely down for a sequel with the return of Captain Needa, I also think an Elves themed game could be very fun. I'm just glad mafia is making a come back. We're only 5 months into the year and we have already had 3 games, that's I think the same amount that was in the entirety of 2016 and 3x as much as was in 2017.

44 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Mediumsnowman was indeed the Godfather, which returned a town result. 

42 minutes ago, mostlytechnic said:

I agree that the ending time thing was an error - that's not normally how games run here - but it happened. 

To my foggy belief, I believed I had seen it happen before in games, at least older ones. To my knowledge I’d never used that ruling in any games that I’ve hosted in the past, but that’s because I’d always either closed on time or never experienced the last minute changing of a vote. The, quite frankly, unsure belief that I’d seen it in the past fueled my decision. I’m glad Actor Builder said he didn’t hold it against me. It made me feel a little bit better. I felt really bad about it and believed that it almost ruined the game. 

Also, this is the deadboard:

Yay town! And I retire after finally winning (and surviving) a game as scum and town. Kidding, I love these games, and Bob was a great host. Not bad for being out of it for awhile and with so few pieces.

Edited by KotZ

Wow! Hats off, standing ovation, etc to the town block! The last day was a lot of fun to watch. :sweet:

Congratulations to the town on the win.  Thanks Bob for hosting; l look forward to more (and the Elves Mafia as well).  :classic:

Thanks for the game Bob, had a blast! :blush:

That was a rough game for us scum. I wish I had voted for Lady K instead of Sandy at the end of Day 2, but I didn’t have much time and it looked like I had successfully scuttled the lynch on Actor Builder - the timing there really screwed us over and made me look really bad going into Days 3 and 4. We probably would have been fine losing one, but not both at the same time. 

I thought I put up a reasonable defense on the last day but MT is right, my hesitation to let myself die did me in, and once the first few people voted for me nothing was going to change their minds, not even a positive cop result. I’m honestly surprised at how many people just automatically assumed I must be the Godfather. Ah well. 

I’ll have my vengeance in the sequel! 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

That’s weird. Bob, can you chime in on this? I’ve never seen actions not go through if the person performing them is killed and not explicitly blocked. Not sure if it would have changed anything, but people might have been more inclined I wasn’t the scum killer on Day 4, which was true, if they saw jluck target Sandy and flip scum on a night where Sandy protected himself and there was no kill. 

Edited by mediumsnowman

Thank you for having me, Bob, even if it was for just an in game day. I had fun watching the game unfold, and Day 4 was incredibly great!

I'm actually in the mood to host again. I know Sandy's got plans to host an Elves mafia, which sounds incredibly fun, but if he still needs time to get it set up, I wouldn't mind giving hosting another go. :classic:

Thanks for hosting, Bob! I had a blast playing this game, it really made me aware how much I missed playing Mafia.

It's hard for me to have an unbiased opinion on not counting my unvote on the second day, since it saved the town from my mistake. This game seriously would have gone a lot better for the scum if that had gone through. In many past games there was a rule that forbade changing your vote once a majority has been reached, which I find reasonable and I wasn't even sure if unvoting would still count. But I thought Actor's claim was credible and made the impulse decision to try. I apologize for putting you into this situation, Bob.

I'd also like to know why I didn't see jluck targeting Sandy, was it because he was killed that night?

Medium, I thought you played the last Day really well, but you started from an unfortunate position. Day Two had put you into a bad position. I think the investigation result might have helped you a bit more if LegoRacer had told someone in secret at the beginning of the Day, and not later in the Day in the thread. Still, for a short time I was considering lynching Khscary instead of you, but in the end you seemed too intent on surviving.

The town was great, especially fhomess, who single-handedly killed half the scum team. Seriously, great job! I'm usualy not a big fan of vigilantes, but you were awesome.

LegoRacer, if you are investigator again, I would suggest finding someone you trust as soon as possible; investigators are the most helpful PR the town has. Don't be afraid to share information with people you trust, especially if it helps prevent the lynch of someone you cleared. Try to find people to coordinate with and establish a town block.

Bob, if you host another game, I'd definitely be up for it. I always enjoyed your games, I also enjoyed your mysteries a lot. If you'd be willing to host another mystery, I'd also try to think more out-of-the-box than I did last time. I still feel a bit bad that me watching someone one night led some people to see the night phase as a kid of mafia game :blush: I'd also be interested in an Elves Mafia, I think I'm addicted again :grin:

What an incredible game, and the first game of mafia I've managed to survive on here or in real life. :sweet:

Between Thrawn and Ozzel I'm realizing I need to trust my gut more in these games.

@mediumsnowman the attempt to make the Ozzel vote seem like a band wagon was too alarmist and clued some of us in. You wouldve probably been fine though if you had seemed more reticent on who to vote for the next day. Your actions with Tarkin 100 percent sealed your fate once he flipped town.

~

Bob please do a sequel, this was a ton of fun with the Star Wars theme.

Edited by Forresto

44 minutes ago, mediumsnowman said:

I thought I put up a reasonable defense on the last day but MT is right, my hesitation to let myself die did me in, and once the first few people voted for me nothing was going to change their minds, not even a positive cop result. I’m honestly surprised at how many people just automatically assumed I must be the Godfather. Ah well. 

At least for me, it wasn't that I thought you were the godfather, it's that you COULD be and it didn't matter which of you was lynched and which was killed. Once we had the counterclaims, I knew both of you had to go, Details of who was scum and who was town didn't matter. 

2 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

Peanuts - if the vote had started to change on the last day, would you have told us you were blocked night 1? Or was the fail not clear why? I certainly understand not wanting to reveal your PR, but to be honest, the fact that you wouldn't verify being blocked was part of why I kept my vote on medium. 

I knew I had been blocked, but I wouldn't have made it known. I think it was pretty usual for the scum to have a blocking ability, especially on Day One, so there is no reason for Medium to claim he blocked anyone other than the person the scum actually blocked. So you think his claim would have been more believeable if you knew he blocked me on Night One? Why?

Oh, jluck - was the not voting day 1 and overall posting very little (at least compared to what I remember of old games with you) deliberate? It gave me a town read on you from the beginning because I assumed a scum wouldn't dare to get vote penalties and be SO absent at the beginning. I assumed it was because you were town and had real life interferring with playing. 

2 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I knew I had been blocked, but I wouldn't have made it known. I think it was pretty usual for the scum to have a blocking ability, especially on Day One, so there is no reason for Medium to claim he blocked anyone other than the person the scum actually blocked. So you think his claim would have been more believeable if you knew he blocked me on Night One? Why?

Um, the not able to confirm his claims thing just made it even more possible that he was scum. It opened up more possibilities that he was scum, since they could have tracked/blocked people and come up with more possible "safe" lies that way, since any consideration of him being scum had to include him being godfather, and therefore could NOT have been blocking on night 1 

10 minutes ago, mostlytechnic said:

Um, the not able to confirm his claims thing just made it even more possible that he was scum. It opened up more possibilities that he was scum, since they could have tracked/blocked people and come up with more possible "safe" lies that way, since any consideration of him being scum had to include him being godfather, and therefore could NOT have been blocking on night 1 

I felt like the question was what's more helpful, keeping the role secret or verifying that the scum indeed have a blocker. In my opinion, scum blockers are common enough that knowing one exists doesn't go a long way to support either claim.

Reading the scumboard....

Actor, you were dead on in the plan to act normal. I think I jumped on you because I don't have a read on you (did we ever play together before? It's been over a year since I've done mafia, so my memory is fuzzy.) It definitely had other people defending you.

jluck, looks like your not voting was an accident. It worked in your favor at least :) 

Great game Bob! And fantastic work everyone, this was my first time as neutral and my win condition was that I could win with either side, which made it interesting. I would definitely like to see a sequel in the future, it would be great to be the (second) best Jedi in the universe again.

2 hours ago, mediumsnowman said:

That’s weird. Bob, can you chime in on this? I’ve never seen actions not go through if the person performing them is killed and not explicitly blocked. Not sure if it would have changed anything, but people might have been more inclined I wasn’t the scum killer on Day 4, which was true, if they saw jluck target Sandy and flip scum on a night where Sandy protected himself and there was no kill. 

Sandy protected herself that night. 

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Heh, I guess it'd help if we actually read the chart huh... 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I know she was protected, so the kill would fail, but why wouldn’t the watcher see jluck targeting her?

Well, as I guess you can imagine... I had fun this game. :)

I know in a previous game hosted by Bob, I was a vig and nearly single handedly won the game for the scum team, so it was quite fun to have things go in the opposite direction this time.  Here are some of my thoughts:

The vig claim by AB seemed like a pretty daring attempt.  Town almost always has a vig.  The kill every other night thing struck me as an odd way to phrase it.  I don't think that's common.  Anyway, I knew AB was either scum or an SK, so I went about trying to figure out who to take out based on him lying.  I settled on either Sandy or Lady K.  Initially I thought they might both be scum, but then reading in more detail that was clear that was unlikely.  In the end, it was about 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of killing Lady K.  It made sense in the AB is scum scenario.

Losing 2 scum in one day/night is REALLY tough for the scum team.  Particularly when they were key players in the voting.  There was just so much material with which to hang people.  More importantly, it was really easy to identify a few folks who were clearly townie.  Yeah, you have the likelihood that you're going to lynch a townie (LMF), but it really narrows the field. After feeling Sandy out a bit on Day 3, I claimed to him, and he and I had a pretty good thing going at that point.  I had town reads on most of the AB bandwagon.  There's almost always a scum on the bandwagons, and I narrowed it down to a couple of folks.  This is what got jluck the night 3 target.  It was between him and mediumsnowman.  I went with jluck primarily because of the voting pattern, the fact that I felt like we could probably lynch snowman, and that he was going to be the block target for the night.

I didn't have time to get my night action in before the conclusion, but I would've gone ahead with killing khscarymovie4.  I really wanted to kill LegoRacer1.  I was pretty convinced that if the game went on, he was the last scum due to the way he handled the investigations.  Particularly not trying to find a way to defend LMF day 3.  The most important thing a town PR can do is connect with other PR's, so remember to town hunt as much as you scum hunt and then try to connect with someone.  Sandy had a bunch of PR's claim to him so he was coordinating things... very effectively, too.  I really appreciated having him and Peanuts to bounce thoughts off of later in the game.

As for ending the day 2 thread at 72 hours and forcing the lynch through on AB... I absolutely agree the game would've played out differently had that not happened.  I realize I'm not unbiased on this, but going strictly by the rules, the day lasts 72 hours.  I know that life gets in the way of things... I'm a bit like jluck in that weekends are usually hard for me to comment much, so a host may not always be able to close the thread right on the deadline and I don't think it's unreasonable for a host to stick to that timeline.  I also think folks who don't see the thread closed can expect that continued commenting is ok.  Personally, I'd rather the threads be cut off at 72 hours (or whatever the time limit is) regardless of whether or not the host can be there.

In the end, I think the scum played pretty well all things considered.  Tracking me night 1 wasn't a bad idea, I just stayed home as the vig.  I got a bit lucky that my reads were on the money this time around.

Edited by fhomess

I would love to host the Elves Mafia, I just need to start building the treetop city I've been planning for years. :blush:

I've just had a busy couple of years now and my lego hobby has taken a sort of backseat where I collect stuff but don't do much with the collection. 

But this summer I think I'll devote more time to my lego and Eurobricks.