TinkerBrick

MaxiWifi - a Wifi Power Functions Brick on KickStarter

Hello!

ich just found this on kickstarter.com and wanted to share this while I‘m waiting for my coffee

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1581732981/smallest-wifi-rc-brick-with-rechargeable-battery-f?ref=discovery&term=Lego

It looks just like a BuWizz but for WiFi.

Has anyone been aware of this project?

Disclaimer: i‘m not associate with those guys in any way.

I am somewhat underwhelmed after watching the video and reading the details. It looks like a BuWizz clone, with weaker voltage (7.4V), and a charging port that requires access from a second side of the brick.  WiFi also consumes more power than Bluetooth - maybe they counter this with a larger battery. 

I'm also trying to imagine a MOC that would benefit from being controlled over the Internet, and such applications are limited - maybe some light switch, or a blinds opening machine? Most of the time the MOC will be visible to the user, eliminating the need for Internet connectivity. 

The big advantage this brick can have over BuWizz is on the software side, but it's too early to judge that. 

I apologize for sounding so negative - I was hoping for a real competitor to the BuWizz brick, and I can't see this as one. Maybe someone can change my mind. 

Same disadvantage as SBrick and BuWizz - smartphone's touchscreen. Meh.

It honestly looks like someone took a BuWizz and changed the Bluetooth into WiFi. Pretty sure this was already posted here too, and locked by the mods. 

4 hours ago, zux said:

Same disadvantage as SBrick and BuWizz - smartphone's touchscreen. Meh.

There's already an app for that ;)

Checked the product and frankly with 7.4V I don't think it has much to offer.. wifi alone is not really a huge selling point. Voice control is nice to show off but I don't think it has real practical applications..

50 minutes ago, kbalage said:

There's already an app for that ;)

Not sure what do actually wanted to mention here. You probably mean "SBrick controller" app? Well, it isn't great solution as well, sort of a workaround. 

@zux you have multiple options. The offical SBrick app is able to use a physical game controller already but my favorite is imurvai's great brickcontroller app which can control BuWizz, SBrick and Lego IR reciever all the same time with a wired or bluetooth android compatible controller.

@kbalage, yeap, that's the app I've mentioned (forgot to mention I've renamed it, thus naming didn't relate to Imurvai). Last time I've used it with wired controller the overal experience wasn't great.

Do you have an example of good, but not overpriced BT Android compatible controller maybe?

Sorry, this is getting a little of topic...

Edited by zux
some clarification

@zux not sure when was it when you tried it, it works without any problem for me.

I had a cheap Chinese wired controller that broke after a couple of months, bought this BT one instead, this one works well now.

i wonder how big the market for these things really is. Surely the market is becoming saturated.

Looks like they're Canadians. 

I wonder if they are using an ESP8266.   It is not too difficult to MOC (my own controller) WIFI with it.   :wink:

12 days to go, and the goal is really far - hopeless.

There are already better (but still to be improved) and better known competitors on the market. They were just too late to the party, the WiFi in my opinion is worse than Bluetooth, low voltage... already outdated at birth unfortunately, they spent way too much time on development, 3 years is at least 2 generations life-cycle for such products. Seeing the description and the success factor, I think this was a further thought university project, so members are probably dispersed... becoming a dead project / company for now.

Edited by agrof