Didumos69

[MOC] Greyhound 4WD RC Buggy /w instructions - Improved rim-hub connection

Followed wip topic for all time of tinkering. And result is incredibly awesome. While i'm not a fan of 3rd party parts and silicone sprays - there's so much brilliant 100% LEGO solutions inside. IMHO it's best remote controlled toy to play made from LEGO.

I just started building it, my color version will be red body with two black and white stripes in the middle and LBG chassis. I love solid chassis and rest of awesome durable subparts. It's really hard to assemble it from lxf but very rewarding after solving a correct assembly steps :) Great job mate! One of best performance and looking models ever!20180524_094511.jpg

Edited by Ctan

1 hour ago, Ctan said:

I just started building it, my color version will be red body with two black and white stripes in the middle and LBG chassis. I love solid chassis and rest of awesome durable subparts. It's really hard to assemble it from lxf but very rewarding after solving a correct assembly steps :) Great job mate! One of best performance and looking models ever!

Thanks! And cool that you've started building this model! One thing I noticed: The wheel-side of the wheel-hubs are missing the 5L axles with stop to attach the wheels to. But you probably thought they can be added later quite easily. I'm very curious how it turns out in red!

On 5/17/2018 at 11:25 PM, Victor Imaginator said:

Followed wip topic for all time of tinkering. And result is incredibly awesome. While i'm not a fan of 3rd party parts and silicone sprays - there's so much brilliant 100% LEGO solutions inside. IMHO it's best remote controlled toy to play made from LEGO.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:42 PM, ArsMan064 said:

So, model s really good. Suspension makes me impressed!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Didumos69

It will be something like this. I've tried also other color variations but availability of all panels is very limited.

greryhound-red.jpg

13 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

wheel-hubs are missing the 5L axles with stop to attach the wheels to.

5L axles will be added later, no worries :)

@Didumos69, your model is incredible fabulous! 

I will build it with a pleasure, but I have to wait for a more precise instructions, because I don't have a lot of experience in such a complicated lego builds. I'm curious, when you provide the instructions?

22 hours ago, Ctan said:

It will be something like this. I've tried also other color variations but availability of all panels is very limited.

5L axles will be added later, no worries :)

Looking good in red! I would use black (0x)-pieces in the flanks and in the nose instead of DBG ones and white ones.

21 hours ago, michald69 said:

@Didumos69, your model is incredible fabulous! 

I will build it with a pleasure, but I have to wait for a more precise instructions, because I don't have a lot of experience in such a complicated lego builds. I'm curious, when you provide the instructions?

Thanks! It should be a matter of a couple of weeks to finish instructions.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Looking good in red! I would use black (0x)-pieces in the flanks and in the nose instead of DBG ones and white ones.

You can get them in red too. They are expensive, but you'll have some special parts :wink: 

What a build, I got through most of the WIP thread but at 16 pages and counting its a pretty long read... There's not much I can say other than it goes and handles just like an RC car, and the way it takes abuse is simply amazing for a Lego build. 

Awesome work, I'm excited to see what your next creation will be!

First of all, thank you so much, @Didumos69 for sharing instructions (LDD files) with us even on early stages! Following your WIP topic make me curious about final result again and again - and in the end I was not disappointed :blush:

Second, this model is a truly masterpiece! Building this buggy was a really great pleasure for me and also a lot of fun. Such different geometrical solutions and connections makes me happy every time I realised how useful and strong they are. 

I think I should build second copy of this buggy with LiPo+Sbricks to compare them (and have fun again during building it with instructions :laugh:)

27509261057_fe5c40d3ef_c.jpg

41655589994_3420662085_c.jpg

7 hours ago, sm1995 said:

What a build, I got through most of the WIP thread but at 16 pages and counting its a pretty long read... There's not much I can say other than it goes and handles just like an RC car, and the way it takes abuse is simply amazing for a Lego build. 

Awesome work, I'm excited to see what your next creation will be!

Thank you very much! Yes, the WIP topic is a long read. I fear I can't even make the smallest change without reporting about it :laugh:.

55 minutes ago, SilenWin said:

First of all, thank you so much, @Didumos69 for sharing instructions (LDD files) with us even on early stages! Following your WIP topic make me curious about final result again and again - and in the end I was not disappointed :blush:

Second, this model is a truly masterpiece! Building this buggy was a really great pleasure for me and also a lot of fun. Such different geometrical solutions and connections makes me happy every time I realised how useful and strong they are. 

I think I should build second copy of this buggy with LiPo+Sbricks to compare them (and have fun again during building it with instructions :laugh:)

Thank you @SilenWin! It's looking really good in red / yellow. Did you use white 5.5L axles in the front wheel hubs?

Amazing! It looks and drives like an actual buggy, and it has great power too.

Is BuWizz worth getting, or do you think I should get an SBrick?

I've met with @SilenWin today and had an honour of feeling this stunning creation in my hands. It feels so rugged and so reliable. The suspension at work is something I can watch forever. I am really impressed by total stiffness of this model. I will definitely build one!

Edited by Limga
spelling

22 hours ago, StudRobotics said:

Amazing! It looks and drives like an actual buggy, and it has great power too.

Is BuWizz worth getting, or do you think I should get an SBrick?

Thanks! It depends on what you want. If you want power, BuWizz is the way to go. If you want complex configurations, I'd go for SBrick. I see more issues being reported with BuWizz, but so far I managed to handle the issues I experienced. You should only go with BuWizz if you like being a pioneer :wink:.

18 hours ago, Limga said:

I've met with @SilenWin today and had an honour of feeling this stunning creation in my hands. It feels so rugged and so reliable. The suspension at work is something I can watch forever. I am really impressed by total stiffness of this model. I will definitely build one!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks! It depends on what you want. If you want power, BuWizz is the way to go. If you want complex configurations, I'd go for SBrick. I see more issues being reported with BuWizz, but so far I managed to handle the issues I experienced. You should only go with BuWizz if you like being a pioneer :wink:.

I think I'll research more on an BuWizz. It would be great for one of my future projects (a drift car).

On 27.05.2018 at 10:29 AM, Didumos69 said:

Thank you @SilenWin! It's looking really good in red / yellow. Did you use white 5.5L axles in the front wheel hubs?

Yes @Didumos69, they fits perfect.

Here is some outdoor stuff (I should notice that with Android app from @imurvai this buggy can be controlled very precisely and comfortably)

And bonus photo with my grandpa, who's always supports me in my hobby (you know, all this "please hold the camera/tripod/smth. else" things)

41745288834_62447feb0b_c.jpg

He likes your MOC too! (it's not very obvious on the photo, though) :laugh:

3 hours ago, SilenWin said:

Here is some outdoor stuff (I should notice that with Android app from @imurvai this buggy can be controlled very precisely and comfortably)

And bonus photo with my grandpa, who's always supports me in my hobby (you know, all this "please hold the camera/tripod/smth. else" things)

Wow, that's a really cool video. Great to see this model come to life in a completely different environment. Makes my day! Say your granpa, it's an honour to see my MOC in his hands! (Is the right front wheel alright?)

Edited by Didumos69

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Wow, that's a really cool video. Great to see this model come to life in a completely different environment. Makes my day! Say your granpa, it's an honour to see my MOC in his hands! (Is the right front wheel alright?)

Thank you for kind words!

Right wheel isn't alright at all, there are two problems after an hour of outdoor use: broken u-joint (middle cross part lost) and cracked pin, which connect steering rod to the wheel knuckle (there are "hammer" inserted in it).

I'm not such a quiet and peaceful driver, so I think it's normal damage for large Lego car with two Buwizzes in ludicrous mode.

1 hour ago, SilenWin said:

...Broken U joint...

I'm not such a quiet and peaceful driver, so I think it's normal damage for large Lego car with two Buwizzes in ludicrous mode.

The U joint is broken in first second of video and thumbnail.

That driving is nothing compared to flying a plane. That is stressfull. Nice driving BTW

2 hours ago, SilenWin said:

Right wheel isn't alright at all, there are two problems after an hour of outdoor use: broken u-joint (middle cross part lost) and cracked pin, which connect steering rod to the wheel knuckle (there are "hammer" inserted in it).

I think so too. I broke 2 U-joints so far, but I didn't crack pins. When you drive forward, backward, forward, etc., the U-joints are really suffering. You have to check the front wheel hubs every once in a while, because when one comes loose, you can easily break a U-joint.

But for me the biggest concern is dirt. After driving into a trench with water and driving on a dusty dirt road afterwards, the whole suspension got full of dirt and it completely ruined the fluid feel. I avoid dusty roads and water now.

Edited by Didumos69

16 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

The U joint is broken in first second of video and thumbnail.

That driving is nothing compared to flying a plane. That is stressfull. Nice driving BTW

Yeah, all photos were made after play.

16 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

But for me the biggest concern is dirt. After driving into a trench with water and driving on a dusty dirt road afterwards, the whole suspension got full of dirt and it completely ruined the fluid feel. I avoid dusty roads and water now.

I think that one of the options to avoid part wear is cleaning all parts after driving in dust with a compressed air (can or compressor), carefully wash all moving parts trying to avoid any flooding of electrics, and using air cleaning again.

Hi Didumos69,

What an awesome model! Could we start a conversation about using it on our LEGO Technic Social Media channels? If so, please send us an email to socialmedia@LEGO.com

Regards,

Pieter and the LEGO Technic team

55 minutes ago, pagicence said:

@Didumos69 I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO offers you a job as a designer.

I would be envious :devil:. Nah, he would deserve it!