28128256678_1362434a9d_z.jpg01 Front by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at a custom Modular! Based on the colorful architecture of Italian coastal towns, the model includes an Italian restaurant and pizzeria, along with a gelato shop, on the ground floor. Up the spiral staircase to the al fresco balcony, there's also a gentleman's tailors and small Roman museum complete with mosaic of an erupting Mount Vesuvius. Finally, up the rear staircase to the top floor, there's a artist's studio with half-sculpted statue, and a winemaker.

More images (including the full interior) are on my Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/146006635@N03/sets/72157696630743215/

40192880400_4d16009124_z.jpg02 Street by mouseketeer 111, on Flickr

A wonderful multi use building. Cute restaurant. Loads of nice colours used. Cool little areas for the tailors and sculptures room. I like the sewing machine in the tailors and it looks like the guy crushing the grapes has sampled a fair bit of the wares.

This is a really awesome looking modular. I love the colours you've used. They are very bright and summery, yet none of them clash at all. Also love the way you've built the sloped roof using the round bricks, it looks really effective.

As much as I like the exterior of the building I reckon the interior really steals the show. You have crammed so much detail in to it. The mount vesuvius mosaic is a really clever idea and looks brilliant. The artists sculpture and the guy making the wine are also really great.

Really awesome, great job! :classic: :thumbup:

This is really a superb MOC and a very strong start into modular-style buildings. It feels very playful and sophisticated in its details and general atmosphere. Lovely little scenes and especially the gelateria wakes some fond memories. :wink: The colours are quite strong, but they work well with the mediterranean setting. All in all splendid work!:classic:

Nice first modular! I've personally tackled a modular set in Italy twice, so I know what I'm on about. The middle raised up terrace is outstanding: well placed, nicely roofed and perfectly coloured (kind of makes me jealous I didn't come up with that!). The buildings are also nice, a bit narrow and the one over to the left very very far back in the model, and their height is nicely in line with current models. I know we tend to be more demanding on MOCs, so there's just one thing that bugs me. The left half is perfect, has the flair, the colours, the plants and everything Italy's known for, but yellow building seems like it could just be anywhere and was just plopped here. Anyway, very good model!

Extremely cool MOC! I love the plants along the walls on the right, the brown roofs is fantastisk and I love the balcony of handcuffs! I looks very much like how I remember Italy. Only minor small thing; it appers to me that you have reversed the flags :) Nothing important, just if you didn't know. 

I actually really like the yellow building with the medium blue and then the rounded roofing, but I don't particularly care for the left side building. I also don't love the rounded stairwell on the street.

But I think the colors work really well together. I like the idea of the open balcony in front. Clever idea with the painting and the sculpture.

I was working on a yellow building. I didn't even think of medium blue, but they do look nice together.

Nice to see you started to make modulars, @mouseketeer! That's a wonderful modular you designed here! The foliage, the roof and the open balcony are some of my favorite bits from this modular. The yellow building needs to be my favorite, mainly because of the shell piece. And the interior is packed with some amazing details! I'm not totally sure about the height of the left side building, I feel the third floor needs to be one brick taller. 

BTW, I'm surprised no one spoke about the railing using handcuffs on the backside, such a NPU! 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Thanks for the comments everyone! I think if I did another design iteration I'd tighten up the left tower a bit (the double-plate thickness lines between floors bug me), but there's only so much time I can spend on one model! :) With the right building, I purposefully restrained how fanciful the architecture was because I felt that was needed to fit it in with the official modulars - if I pushed it too far it would have been incongruous. With the height, it's actually pushing the limits of how high modulars go! When I digitally designed it initially the tower was taller, but when I built it and put it next to the official sets it was clear it was too much. Pretty happy with how it works with the official sets in the end though :). 

Very well done. The colors work, the detailing is great, and the overall shape and proportions work well.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Is the right-hand part of the building done in bright yellow or orangish yellow?

Gorgeous build! The architectural styling, the color choices and use of foliage are all in perfect harmony for that very Italian and Mediterranean feel. Very in-line with the official sets as well. Fabulous work! :grin:

Considering this is your first attempt its very impressive! Really great mix of colours and textures. Would look great expanded with some more similar Italian themed buildings. I really like how you've added trailing greenery to the facade - it works very well.

Keep up the good work!