Murdoch17

Wild Western "wooden" railroad steam locomotive storage shed (two tracks)

This railway shed was inspired by Shaun Baseby (or @lightningtiger here on Eurobricks) and his smaller farm shed from 2014. He designed the basic Technic frame on this shed, and I ran with it to create this wooden western-style steam locomotive shed.

41169068755_f6859877f3_z.jpg

This shed is 4 1/4 tracks long with a total of 68 studs from back wall to entrance to the building, along with a 10 stud wide entrance for stream locomotives. The shed features a cow skull on the front above the entrance, just to give it that wild west flair.

42069121841_e8823df9a6_z.jpg

The rear wall of the shed.

41169068885_907f1f358d_z.jpg

The roof of the shed is not removable, but it can fold open a bit on clips. With this view you can see how the Technic frame supports the roof.

42069122111_2be544cdb8_z.jpg

Here is the scene with the three steam locos stationed at the Fort Legoredo area depot The shed will normally hold my 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 steam locomotives, with the smaller 4-2-4 sitting on a third track outside the shed as shown. That's the BTTF time train on the fourth track, in the way back.

Comments, Suggestions and Complaints are always welcome! :classic:

Edited by Murdoch17

On 5/9/2018 at 1:27 PM, bombcar said:

Nicely done! Really looks old Western.

Thanks! Here it is integrated into my proposed western layout:

27136149867_10ca314c9f_z.jpg

Only the frontier town (saloon, barber shop, sheriff's office, and bank), Army Fort, NA tepees, locomotive shed, and BTTF time train are all that is left to build in real life for this Wild West layout.

That's a good shed, I love the internal roof detailing and the skull on the front!

A couple of ideas for additions you could make; firstly, how about some other loco servicing facilities to go next to the shed, such as a water tower or coal loading stage? I don't know if they would have featured in real life, but they seem logical additions to this scene. Secondly, some of the wooden boards in the walls should be weathered, damaged, missing or replaced. Perhaps you could vary the colours slightly, attach some weeds or foliage around the base, and add raised and dented sections to represent hap-hazard repair jobs over. I think that would make the model even more visually interesting.

Apart from that, that's quite a collection you've designed there. The track layout and building placement works really well, and the colour schemes of the rolling stock is good.

Excellent work overall as usual, I can't wait to see it all together in real bricks.
(P.S. Build the Shay! I think it looks more interesting, and design-wise it fits better with the other 3 locos you've built.)

18 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

That's a good shed, I love the internal roof detailing and the skull on the front!

A couple of ideas for additions you could make; firstly, how about some other loco servicing facilities to go next to the shed, such as a water tower or coal loading stage? I don't know if they would have featured in real life, but they seem logical additions to this scene. Secondly, some of the wooden boards in the walls should be weathered, damaged, missing or replaced. Perhaps you could vary the colours slightly, attach some weeds or foliage around the base, and add raised and dented sections to represent hap-hazard repair jobs over. I think that would make the model even more visually interesting.

Apart from that, that's quite a collection you've designed there. The track layout and building placement works really well, and the colour schemes of the rolling stock is good.

Excellent work overall as usual, I can't wait to see it all together in real bricks.
(P.S. Build the Shay! I think it looks more interesting, and design-wise it fits better with the other 3 locos you've built.)

The shed will have old brown wall panel sections due to reddish brown being a bit scarce, so it will have a mottled effect. The shay just isn't happening right now @ColletArrow, as the  BTTF time train was ordered yesterday. It came down to which was cheaper, and the time train won that battle.

14 hours ago, icemorons said:

@Murdoch17  Shed looks great!   That Western town is looking mighty impressive!   

Thanks @icemorons! If you want to see my entire western layout and it's town model's progress, it's in this topic here.

Slight bump:

41169068755_f6859877f3_z.jpg

I remade the first post to show off the updated shed, which now has dark bluish grey pillars to hid the roof-connection holes.Compare the new one above to the older one below:

41257681044_e53f4b584f_z.jpg

Nice update. I think I actually like it better with the dark bl. grey pillars and not only because they are hiding the roof connection.

Much prefer the one with the DBG pillars.  Adds some needed contrast to what was otherwise a brown expanse.

Also, the white windows add more pop, rather than the darker ones they replaced.