Trekkie99

[WIP] [MOC] "Midiopolis" [Midiscale Modulars]

Hello and welcome to my WIP "Midi" Scale Lego Modular City.

200x113.jpg200x113.jpg

What is "Midi" Scale?

Last Updated: 5/23/20

Midiscale Modulars

Pub, Toy Store, & Apartment

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Cinema

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Midiscale Cars

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

a0.png

a1.png

a2.png

a3.png

a4.png

a5.png

a6.png

a7.png

a8.png

a9.png

ab0.png

ab1.png

ab2.png

ab3.png

ab4.png

ab5.png

ab6.png

ab7.png

ab8.png

ab9.png

Midiscale Trains

BNSF 2099 Diesel Locomotive

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

BR Class 08 Diesel Shunter

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Chicago Metra Train (EMDF40PH)

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Midiscale Train Cars

Small Oil Tanker

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Chicago Metra Cars

400x225.jpg

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Midiscale Prefabricated Parts

Modular Bases

Spoiler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by Trekkie99
Update

I don't know much about Mini-Modulars or the technicalities of designing them, but I would be interested to know if you have any sort of architectural style(s) in mind for some of your first attempts! :classic:

So here are some examples of what I had in mind.

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Like I stated earlier, I'm not sure if there's a preexisting formula for what I have in mind, but this is what I'd imagine would work best. 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't know much about Mini-Modulars or the technicalities of designing them, but I would be interested to know if you have any sort of architectural style(s) in mind for some of your first attempts! :classic:

I don't have any particular styles in mind really. I'll probably start out by experimenting with parts for different sections of a typical modular such as windows, doors, color combinations, etc, and than mix and match those sections to find a good combination that works. :classic:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Like I stated earlier, I'm not sure if there's a preexisting formula for what I have in mind, but this is what I'd imagine would work best. 

Looks like 16×16 and 16×8 baseplates there, so I guess that would indeed work nicely for an approximate, half-scale modular formula of sorts! :thumbup:

I think there are two major standards.
There's the official LEGO modulars (like set 10230) and a lot of MOCs in that standard. They're all 8x8.
Search for lego mini modular on flickr.

And then there's the Micropolis standard (and derivatives). That looks a lot like the one you suggested in your topic.
See here

And here

And some great examples here

Also, search for lego micropolis on flickr.

We've been contemplating starting a Micropolis project for ages. Loads of fun, and it takes a lot less space to put on display!

Edited by Withacee

Hi @Withacee, thanks for linking all that info! It's not exactly what I had in mind, but I'll definitely bookmark those links for future reference if I ever want to start my own Micropolis! :sweet:

Also, I just remembered the book that got got me interested in the idea of "mini modulars" in the first place. 

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Unofficial-Lego-Builders-Book/dp/3868526587

I remember picking it up at a library a while back, and although I don't remember if a modular like standard was mentioned, right on the cover of the book he's using three wide sidewalks. 

61n4h60YauL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also, he called it "Midi scale". I put "Lego midi city" in the flickr photo search, but didn't come up with much.

Ah, I see what you are trying to do now; reading the topic might be a last resort, but it does help :grin:

That would make an interesting project.
I saw agadoijo had a topic in which he shrunk the standard modulars to a 16x16 base, but they're still more or less minifig scale.

Micro scale is too small for any figs, so your proposed scale would be nicely in the middle.
I see no examples online. Nice building challenge! A lot of building on a small surface.

The three base plates you have on your flickr page look very logical. One could argue about a 3-wide or 4-wide pavement.

I might have to put this on our "future projects" list.
So many projects, so little time...

Good luck! Hope it gets off the ground.

3 hours ago, Withacee said:

Ah, I see what you are trying to do now; reading the topic might be a last resort, but it does help :grin:

:laugh:

That would make an interesting project.

I saw agadoijo had a topic in which he shrunk the standard modulars to a 16x16 base, but they're still more or less minifig scale.

That's really cool! I had the same idea awhile back, but I ended up setting the project aside for other things. I may still have one of the modulars together. 

Micro scale is too small for any figs, so your proposed scale would be nicely in the middle.

I see no examples online. Nice building challenge! A lot of building on a small surface.

I've seen only a handful of models online that use the "midi scale", and they're often not labeled as such. :sceptic: Also since there clearly wasn't a Flickr group for Midi scale MOCs, I decided to start one. It's still needs some editing though. 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/3186713@N22

The three base plates you have on your flickr page look very logical. One could argue about a 3-wide or 4-wide pavement.

Yeah, three wide felt like the best option. It was also the preferred size used in the The Big Unofficial Lego Builders Book .

I might have to put this on our "future projects" list.

So many projects, so little time...

Good luck! Hope it gets off the ground.

:laugh: Thanks! I'm hoping this scale will get more attention, and that people will start labeling there Midi scale models as such.

And thanks again for posting those links about Micropolis modulars! I'll definitely be making some of my own!

Here's a little something I've been working on. :wink:

41337349774_16b1bfa404_z.jpg

It looks nice so far! Look forward to see what you're going to come with! :sweet:

I don't know if I'm welcome to share other people's work here but here's a great Midi Scale modular by @lookl:

Spoiler
Library

Sorry, I don't know a big range of midi-scale modulars as I do for normal ones... :laugh: I came across some nice mini-modulars though even if I didn't search for them particularly. One of the best examples I saw is by @fillishave:

Spoiler
Mini modulars all together

24 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

One of the best examples I saw is by @fillishave:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yes, I myself particularly dig his midi-modulars, especially his Daily Brick* one seen in the center of that lineup! :grin:

Obviously, it's the Daily Planet. :wink:

Thought I'd quickly make some roads to show how they can be built. The car design is based off of the one from The Big Unofficial Lego Builders Book, and the scooter/motorcycle is a simple design of my own.

42081909811_0e3b84baea_z.jpg

The modular sits on top of the plates that protrude from underneath the road as can be seen in the pic below.

40275020890_49efed44b5_z.jpg

Here's one section of road which is sixteen studs long.

40274982170_903bbb55d3_z.jpg

40275012700_01f70528fc_z.jpg

As well as the 9x9 intersection road piece.

28209574708_99ba1dedc2_z.jpg

42081943311_aef3b9a30e_z.jpg

And finally the car and scooter designs.

41182104315_6aea5b4c4c_z.jpg

42081933551_982b682828_z.jpg

42037172732_86cb9301b0_z.jpg

Cheers :sweet:

LMF

13 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

And finally the car and scooter designs.

That scooter design in particular is rather cute! :thumbup: :blush:

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

That scooter design in particular is rather cute! :thumbup: :blush:

Yeah, it's simple but recognizable. The latter being my key intention when I was designing it.

3 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Thought I'd quickly make some roads to show how they can be built. The car design is based off of the one from The Big Unofficial Lego Builders Book, and the scooter/motorcycle is a simple design of my own.

Just been looking over the pics of the midi scale project you're working on. It's looking great, those tiny cars and scooter look really nice. Look forward to seeing what you come up with when this project is finished. :classic:

21 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

One of the best examples I saw is by @fillishave:

Hide contents

This looks really good. I'm particularly impressed he managed brick built lettering at such a small scale on the pink and purple building.

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Just been looking over the pics of the midi scale project you're working on. It's looking great, those tiny cars and scooter look really nice. Look forward to seeing what you come up with when this project is finished. :classic:

Thanks! The car is slightly adapted from the design from The Big Unofficial Lego Builders Book. I spent an eternity trying to find instructions on how to build the car because for the life of me I couldn't remember how it was built. :laugh:

I am so on board with this. Great stuff already. Those small cars are pretty ingenious. The fact that this scale is aesthetically pleasing as well as requiring a small fraction of the pieces and display space of traditional modulars along with being rather challenging makes this all very appealing.

These are some nice micro-builds. I really like the scooter, it's easy but really effective! Look forward to see more progression! :classic:

4 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

These are some nice micro-builds. I really like the scooter, it's easy but really effective! Look forward to see more progression! :classic:

Thanks! I've got a good idea of what I want to do for the rest of my first modular, I just haven't gotten around to building it. :look: :grin: I've also started a quick little list of things I want to build.

1 hour ago, agadoijo said:

Very nice! Looking forward for updates on this topic.

@Withacee thank you for the mention :) Those were indeed in minifig scale.

@LegoMonorailFan I've joined the Flickr group so that I don't miss a thing!

Hi @agadoijo! Thank you so much! :sweet: 

I love your 16x16 recreation of the official Lego modulars! :thumbup:

Finally got around to editing the Flickr group. Also, I made a album containing everything I've built and will build in Midi scale. Links to both can be found on the main post of this topic. 

Cheers.

LMF

8 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Finally got around to editing the Flickr group. Also, I made a album containing everything I've built and will build in Midi scale. Links to both can be found on the main post of this topic.

Thanks! BTW, I was wondering why you didn't cover up the studs. Maybe for making them look more Lego? Only wondering... :wink:

If you like both midi scale and un-covered studs, I can recommend you a MOCer you're definitely going to like! A few of his MOCs below:

Spoiler

Brooklyn Street

Building on Bond

Coronado, San Diego, CA.

Building on State Street, Brooklyn, NY

San Diego Bayside Firehouse

On 5/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, Withacee said:

This is an amazing idea! I found another very similar project

Spoiler

kPRXl9T.jpg?1

Q1pF7eU.jpg

vrFrjZm.jpg 

RpEIeGE.jpg

5 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

If you like both midi scale and un-covered studs, I can recommend you a MOCer you're definitely going to like! A few of his MOCs below:

Reveal hidden contents

Brooklyn Street

Building on Bond

Coronado, San Diego, CA.

Building on State Street, Brooklyn, NY

San Diego Bayside Firehouse

I really love the one seen in the third picture of that selection! :wub: