Greetings Comrades! A thought came to my mind today, are there any songs about LEGO? Not ones by LEGO about LEGO or ones from advertising, but ones by proper singers and/or bands?

The only one that comes to mind is Lego House by Ed Sheeran, though, it's not about LEGO proper.

There's a lot of quirky songs done by LEGO that are about LEGO, specifically in some of the old PC games from the early aughts, but those don't necessarily meet your criteria.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, Penkid11 said:

The only one that comes to mind is Lego House by Ed Sheeran, though, it's not about LEGO proper.

There's a lot of quirky songs done by LEGO that are about LEGO, specifically in some of the old PC games from the early aughts, but those don't necessarily meet your criteria.

Do you have a link or names for any of these? I'd like a listen.

13 hours ago, The LEGO Communist said:

I'd check out LEGO Island and LEGO Island Extreme Stunts OST as a whole (if not the OSTs for pretty much all pre-LEGO Star Wars PC LEGO videogames). The latter featured a DJ and the game would randomly select from a set of music to play. Several of them have lyrics, including this one that happens to be in tune with my lifestyle. :wink:

On 6/6/2018 at 10:18 AM, The LEGO Communist said:

I’d also recommend Jay Vincent and Michael Kramer’s score for Ninjago; there are so many memorable and beautiful tracks such as What Powered Zane, Opening the Cursed Realm, Nya’s True Potential, The Fusion Dragon, etc. Here’s some links to their channels:

Jay Vincent: https://www.youtube.com/user/SevenWheelSound

Michael Kramer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-19Evt3grcnzE_K_uBddA

The Ninjago songs from The Fold are of the "by LEGO/used in advertising" sort, but they would certainly qualify as a proper band IMO. To date they've released 19 original Ninjago songs plus six additional remixes of the Ninjago theme song, "The Weekend Whip".

But besides Ed Sheeran's LEGO House, I can't think of any songs about or referencing LEGO that were not created for use in official LEGO media or a LEGO promotional campaign. Not even much stuff created by other AFOLs.

I'm frequently struck by the scarcity of any sort of LEGO-inspired fan works not using LEGO itself as a medium, something that really sets us AFOLs apart from other fandoms which routinely generate all kinds of fan art, fan fiction, fan music, cosplay, and so on. In this respect AFOLs tend to feel like more of a hobbyist community like model train or rocketry enthusiasts than like the more multifaceted fan communities that have sprung up around things like My Little Pony, Transformers, Steven Universe, or Star Trek. I certainly would like to see that change. As much as I enjoy showing off my LEGO creations and seeing other people's at LEGO fan conventions, after having attended BronyCon for the past three years I would love to see more of that type of festivity at LEGO fan conventions.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I'm frequently struck by the scarcity of any sort of LEGO-inspired fan works not using LEGO itself as a medium, something that really sets us AFOLs apart from other fandoms which routinely generate all kinds of fan art, fan fiction, fan music, cosplay, and so on. In this respect AFOLs tend to feel like more of a hobbyist community like model train or rocketry enthusiasts than like the more multifaceted fan communities that have sprung up around things like My Little Pony, Transformers, Steven Universe, or Star Trek. 

That's because, for the most part, Lego itself IS the art medium. Sometimes particular facets of the community can be more technical than artistic (the Technic community for instance), and therefore they're considered more akin to hobbyists; but they're all artists in many ways nonetheless. :classic:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's because, for the most part, Lego itself IS the art medium. Sometimes particular facets of the community can be more technical than artistic (the Technic community for instance), and therefore they're considered more akin to hobbyists; but they're all artists in many ways nonetheless. :classic:

I understand that, but I think it's kind of creatively limiting to think of bricks as the only appropriate art medium for showing your love of LEGO. Like, among My Little Pony and Transformers fan artists you often see toy customization, but also music, comics, animations, digital and traditional drawings and paintings, animations, plushies, cosplay, and sculpture that doesn't involve the toys as a medium. In the LEGO community, you get some of that type of stuff, but compared to MOCs it tends to be very rare.

Music is the example that I find especially striking when comparing an event like BronyCon with one like BrickFair. There's hardly ever any music at BrickFair, and when there is it's usually not LEGO-related. At Brony-Con, they have an entire multi-night concert series of primarily fan-created music, not to mention songs being a component of many of the panels and events, and a frequent crowd activity when waiting in lines. I know there are plenty of AFOLs out there who are musically talented, so it's surprising to me that those parts of their lives (music + LEGO) so rarely intersect.

One example I can think of that didn't occur to me before was the Symphony of Construction telephone game, in which artists created music inspired by MOCs inspired by other music inspired by other MOCs, and on and on down the line. There was some great stuff generated there that really proved how LEGO can inspire forms of creativity we don't ordinarily associate with the bricks themselves!