3_gt1.jpg

The model is finally complete and I have made building instructions for all 4 cars in both red and dark red.

3_gt8.jpg

I am still not sure if the best color is red or dark red, hence the choice of color. Here are the links for building instructions of the red cars:

Ford #66
Ford #67
Ford #68
Ford #69

SEE BELOW FOR ORIGINAL POST

This video shows all the details of the first prototype and I even take it apart to show how it is constructed.

I want to build all the LMGTE PRO cars for Le Mans this year in the same scale as in Miniland in Legoland (scale 1:20). Last year I made the Corvette, which means that I "only" have to build 5 completely new cars. One of the cars that compete in this class is the Ford GT. There will be four of these at Le Mans (two from the American and two from the British racing teams).

This is the very first prototype. All details are subject to change, and I intend on making at least 5 versions before the final model is ready.

96_gt_prototype1.jpg

From the front there are some details which I would like to improve:

- The front grille opening should be wider.

- The headlights should have more blue parts to surround them.

- The headlights could be more curved

- The white scoops seen from the top of the front should be more extensive.

- The crossaxle in the front axle could be half a stud shorter.

- The livery below the doors should be more "triangular" with the door sills being sloped.

- There could be fewer studs around the rear wheels.

Moving on to the rear:

97_gt_prototype1.jpg

- The white racing stripe should not be separate from the body work - even in the rear.

- The grilles around the rear "window" should be in line

Here are a couple of additional shots:

Side:

98_gt_prototype1.jpg

And top view:

99_gt_prototype1.jpg

Here is the collage I have made in order to get the details as correct as possible (with additional top-view image available in the reddit thread I made for it here
https://www.reddit.com/r/weclego/comments/82rygj/working_collage_for_lego_ford_gt_in_scale_120/N7uzlJv.jpg

The "griddy" picture is based on these dimensions:

• Length: 4763mm => 30 studs

• Width: 2004mm => 12.5 studs

• Height: 1110mm => 56mm

• Wheelbase: 2710mm => 17 studs

Please feel free to come with criticism. I will even appreciate comments without suggestions for improvement, such as "I don't like the headlights" - it tells me that I should look into that detail.

Edited by Lasse D
Added final versions

Nice!! I watched the 6 Hours of Spa where this car won in the GTE Pro class. Can't wait to see the final product!

This is awesome! But if I can be honest, I don't like the headlights. They do not resemble those of the rear car and break up the binding between the front and the side fenders IMO.

You are a real perfectionist, but I am already amazed how you managed to create all those angles in such a small package. You have already mentioned all the things I can see that are slightly off compared to the original. I will be following this with much interest!

Here is an update on the headlights.

During the process of building the first prototype I tried a lot of different designs without being completely satisfied.

Warning: Low lighting cell phone pictures taken right before bed times

At first I tried one where the lights are mounted on the mud guard, like on my Aston Martin Vantage:

c34w1c8.jpg

Another attempt was to use single pieces, but that didn't really work either:

Ziss6vA.jpg

The headlights from the first prototype were also attempted in smoke:

zHvPI8q.jpg

And tonight I have tried another approach by making the front 11 wide, allowing for curved slopes next to the headlights:

IIZNEEo.jpg

This is my favorite yet, but I do miss a blue curved slope tile below the headlights. At least the front intake is finally wide enough :)

That said, I'm still looking into moving the outer lights a plate forward.

Edited by Lasse D
Added link to the Vantage.

This model has had a series of updates since my last post. I have started building it in stud.io 2.0. Here is a render of the results after 1 day of work. The main difference from the version I brought to Le Mans is the red color. I think dark red is more fitting for the 2018 liveries. Unfortunately I'm not sure all parts are available yet. That will be a challenge.

95_digital_build_1_day.png

This is currently the only shot I have of the version that was brought to Le Mans:

gB3pdsS.jpg

The work continues :)

I have updated the first post with pictures of the final car, as well as links to building instructions and a video showing the details and pictures from Le Mans 2018 where the LEGO models were brought to the real race track.

2_both.jpg

Now you can decide which version you prefer: red or dark red:

3_gt4.jpg

3_gt9.jpg

And from the back:

3_gt2.jpg

3_gt7.jpg

The differences in the pieces used are mostly apparent when seeing the dark red model directly from above:

4_gt1.jpg

The four 3x3 rounded corner plates have been replaced with dark red macaroni tiles. Unfortunately the 1x1 rounded corner tiles do not exist in dark red, and neither do the 2x2 wing plates, so I had to make some compromises on the roof. The 2x3 wing plates are from the new Harley set. This is the first time they appear since they once were in a Creator-like dino set many years ago.

3_gt5.jpg

The building instructions have a couple of upgrades compared to the models I show here: The "Castrol Edge" logos are larger in the sticker sheets for the dark red models, and the rear wing says "Powered by Ecoboost" instead of just "Ecoboost". I made this mistake because I had to guess the logo design of the wing - no pictures showed this section at the time where I had to send the stickers for printing.

3_gt6.jpg

The model is still full of fun SNOT building techniques. Some particularly fun sub-assemblies include the mounts for the flying buttresses and the front corner assemblies.

3_gt3.jpg

So if you want to build your own from the building instructions, then I'm sure that you will have fun!

I thought that style was familiar, I have admired your Ferrari moc in the past.

Looks great.