This is posted before Block I for this is newer and the photographies of this one is better - being only 64x96 studs I was able to rotate it in the studio.

Now.

This is a block of early 1900s modular houses. They are not built with LEGO's standards, they're bigger and have no interiors (nor inner walls, floors and so on). Goal was to create interesting and impressive outer forms of buildings.

27999737688_ba6ff215bf_c.jpg

Grand Hotel Masaryk is inspired by Grand Hotel Europe in Prague. Due to heavy use of SNOT, the construction id rather complex, but sturdy nonetheless. Bright colours create contrast with the neighbours.

41825589582_a27a47dc89_c.jpg

Olofslott begin with idea to build a larger building on 45 degree angle. There is a large tower with a glass dome and various bays to create interesting shape. It is inspired by Olofsborg house in Katajanokka, Helsinki, and Imatra State Hotel, two masterpieces of Finnish Art Nouveau.

41825587832_9fe7b74b28_c.jpg

House of the Brick Wall is inspired by National Museum of Finland. The curved wall has more modern feel on it. The curved roof was very tricky bit to build.

41825588862_37f7bf7620_c.jpg%5B

Louhi represents Finnish Squared Rubble using natural stone national romantiscm. It is inspired by Old Poli on Lönnrotinkatu, Helsinki, and Tampere Cathedral in my hometown. I was curious wether people would like the bare plate walls or not - I think they're quite close to the look I was trying to achieve. The rope bridge gateway was there from the beginning.

Lots of talk and some extra shots on the blog Cyclopic Bricks. Thanks for watching! Build on!

Wow this is a work of art, just fantastic! :wub:

I love the grand hotel and the way the bright colours and style of architecture contrast really well with the rest of the buildings.

I also like the "house of the brick wall" and the way you've made the wall curve around, that looks very clever.

The roof tops on all the buildings are also fantastic, especially the glass dome.

1 hour ago, Pate-keetongu said:

I was curious wether people would like the bare plate walls or not

I think it works really well here and gives great texture to that particular section.

There is so much great stuff about this building that it's impossible to mention everything. Really really great work. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Looking forward to reading@LegoModularFan's comments about this awesome moc. He is gonna fall off his chair when he sees this one. :laugh:

Strikingly beautiful. :cry_happy:

Truth be told, though I initially took a particular liking to the Yellowish Orange/Sand Green building upon seeing your original preview, I'm now having a hard time deciding which of these buildings I love best. Heck, I just love the whole blooming block! :thumbup: :grin_wub:

6 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Looking forward to reading@LegoModularFan's comments about this awesome moc. He is gonna fall off his chair when he sees this one. :laugh:

Oh man, will he ever... :head_back:

8 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Fantastic modular buildings ...the bare plates wall looks gorgeous and I love it! :wub:

I agree! :)

Glad @Pate-keetongu shared a preview image of this pure beauty... Otherwise, I think I'd be... :pir-murder:

:wub: :wub_drool: :grin_wub:

Pate, millions of thanks for being an incredible MOCer and Art Nouveau fan. You gave me so many ideas and inspiration to imitate the crazy shapes of it!! 

Striking color scheme on the Grand Hotel Masaryk! There isn't a lot of details on its façade but there's no need! The building made up with plates is one of the most original buildings I've ever seen! This is the second time ever someone made me love exposed studs! Olofslott is seriously impressive! Whole the middle section is so amazingly detailed, especially that brick-built door and the roof! The section just in left of the House of the Brick Wall is fantastic as well! The small sort of turrets add definitely a lot and I just adore the both domes! My favorite is the House of the Brick Wall! I think the biggest reason for it being my favorite is the curved section with its awe-inspiring roof! The ground floor is just fantastic!

I know that my comment above don't sound coming from a person that was over-excited: that's because I waited until feeling "normal"! :laugh:

Just now, LegoModularFan said:

I know that my comment above don't sound coming from a person that was over-excited: that's because I waited until feeling "normal"! :laugh:

Maybe you should've posted a reaction video. :head_back:

I don't know where to begin with my praise - it is absolutely beautiful.

Like multiple pieces of extraordinary architectural design reproduced as Lego buildings. Very nice indeed.

Excellent facades! The ornamentations show some really good ideas and give the buildings, together with the quite striking colours and silhouettes, a lot personality. :classic: :thumbup: I don't know about the studs-out corner-building though. I might have preferred something with grey-ingot pieces instead. I would also love to see your building having interior as well.:wink:

A huge chapeau to you sir. We all here know how hard it is to pull off Lego buidlings in such style. I'll add my salt grain by saying my favourite bit from every building :sweet::

Grand Hotel Masaryk: The fact sand green and flame yellow don't touch one another. Dark red linings work wonders!

Olofslott: The whole 45-degree wall is very beautiful, but even more, the fact it doesn't detract from the (I think) nicest detail, the triangular roof and its "carving". Looks hauntingly beautiful. Congrats!

Louhi: I believe this is the building you took most risks in. Exposed studs are not someone's go-to solution, and I believe pulling it off so beautifully is just staggering. Narrow buildings are just my thing, so this is a clear favourite.

House of Mansory Wall: My favourite of the four. Does it all well: colouring, shaping and interaction with neighbouring houses. Dark red and sand green work beautifully, and the curved reddish brown ground floor is mesmerising.

True, genuine congratulations. This might even surpass Block I. By the way, I love how the tan building's roof peeks through the other images :laugh:

Edited by paupadros

Wow, this is astonishing! Really inspired technique and parts usage. I struggle to think of my favourite, though I definitely smiled as soon as I saw the upside-down rope bridge.

As discussed elsewhere before, Art Nouveau is arguably the hardest architectural style to capture in Lego, mainly due to the difficulty capturing subtle/irregular curves with mostly cuboid bricks.

If you don’t mind me asking, when designing this, to what extent did you start with drawings of what you wanted to create (as based on your real-life inspirations), or was the starting point more trying to come up with a list/collection of whole load of curved pieces in the right sort of colours?

Thank you so much for sharing this!

This is fantastic! I like it that it is modeled with a nod to real life buildings. I guess a 32x32 of something like this would be a mini or micro build.

Thanks for sharing this.

Andy D

Smashing!
Great design and colours overall, and I love the fact that this is actually a 360 degree model, with something to see on all sides.
The 45 degree Olofslott façade is a real beauty.

Keep clicking those bricks together!

I was just checking out some of your cited sources of inspiration for each of this block's buildings, and I'll say, they are just as equally stunning, particularly Prague's Grand Hotel Europe! *oh2*

511px-Grand_Hotel_Europa_and_Meran_Hotel

Congratulations on having this awesome model featured on tho brothersbrick today. :classic:

Edited by Bricked1980

Thanks everyone! Glad to read your comments, Eurobricks seems to be bit quiet on the MOC comment section but not this time; fantastic!

I'm also surprised how much love The House of The Brick wall has got - it was the last one, very fast build, two or three evenings and couple of fast sketches... Just had that form of the tower from National Museum of Finland and the not-that-rare curved wall technique... But glad you like it; Very glad.

On 4.5.2018 at 1:28 AM, LegoModularFan said:

It did sound bit over-excited, but that's a good thing, eh?

On 5.5.2018 at 1:37 PM, DeanLearner said:

If you don’t mind me asking, when designing this, to what extent did you start with drawings of what you wanted to create (as based on your real-life inspirations), or was the starting point more trying to come up with a list/collection of whole load of curved pieces in the right sort of colours?

I did quite lot of drawings. I was up to scan them and add to the post but forgot at the spur of the moment, but I'll do that when I get back home (it might take a while to dig up all of those drawings wherever I've filed them) and scan them at the university and write another post about them.

When working on rarer colours, I usually gather what I have and try to work around them. I didn't Bricklink much for this - maybe 30-40 bright light orange bricks for Masaryk, and two dark green dinosaur tails and one 6x8x2 windscreen for Olofslott. I tend to gather bricks in odd colours until there seems to be enought for a house, or probably a character, and then use them. I mostly buy used bricks by bag from local vendor Pii Poo; there's some great bargains sometimes, being 10€ for around one litre and 8€ if you're member of our LUG. Makes my "brick input" lot more random than it used to be when I bricklinked more, but it's very much cheaper.