ElectroDiva

[MOC] Octan Train

Nicely done!!

The initial 60198 prototype lives on in alternate livery!   

Have you considered adding perhaps a flatcar or gondola holding pallets of Octan fuel/oil drums, and/or a depressed-center flatcar to haul Octan racing team vehicles?

Thanks @icemorons - that’s a great idea!

I have 6 of the full size fuel wagons to run with it, but a bit of variety would be nice.

I’m having a couple of issues with traction though. In the video I posted you’ll see that it can only haul 3 cargo wagons uphill. Not sure if ballast or a second motor is the way to go - will have to experiment before expanding the Octan fleet :)

7 hours ago, ElectroDiva said:

I’m having a couple of issues with traction though. In the video I posted you’ll see that it can only haul 3 cargo wagons uphill. Not sure if ballast or a second motor is the way to go - will have to experiment before expanding the Octan fleet :)

In that video, the angle of inclination/declination is pretty steep.  I've run single-PF-motor trains (60052, 60098, and 10219) up a one-plate-per-track-piece incline with between 6 and 8 cars, without modifications.   But your uphill looks to be either two-plates-per, or 1 brick-per track piece.   With that much gradient, you should opt for a 2nd motor, IMHO.

Also, I looked carefully at your photographs and video footage.  It appears that the single motor in your model is located in the front of the locomotive, with the IR receiver located directly overhead.   I've found that traction on single-motor locomotives is best when the motor is at the rear of the locomotive, and the battery box is directly overhead.   Having not seen any pictures of the internals, I am unsure exactly where you have located the battery pack.   Try experimenting with relocating the PF motor to the rear of the locomotive, and seeing if that has any impact on traction with additional cars.

Edited by icemorons
Added suggestions for motor placement in search of better traction.

Good work! It's nice to see another build of my replica, considering I'm probably never going to brick it myself. Nice addition with the door handles and working headlamp too.

Thanks for the suggestions @icemorons and @dr_spock  - the motor is actually at the back already with the battery above it. The battery is slightly offset though so I can try moving it back a bit more so it is directly overhead. Will also try a bit of ballast.

The incline supports are from TrixBrix and yes the gradient is pretty steep - a brick height per track section.

@ColletArrow - that’s a shame. Will you be buying 60198 when it comes out?

7 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

Should run on octan instead of electricity :)

Octan are changing with the times and are now also in the electricity generation business - renewable sources of course :wink:

On 5/3/2018 at 7:28 PM, ElectroDiva said:

@ColletArrow - that’s a shame. Will you be buying 60198 when it comes out?

Unfortunately not, the twin curses of the Student Budget and Student Accommodation mean that I have neither enough money nor space for any bricks at all, really. This is also responsible for my extensive folder of LDD files...

I like the clean industrial design of the train. It mimics perfectly something one could find in rl.:thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback and kind comments.

It’s given me the encouragement I need to start working on my next (more ambitious) project - the Venice Simplon Orient Express !

29 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

It’s given me the encouragement I need to start working on my next (more ambitious) project - the Venice Simplon Orient Express !

Holy smoke! I am planning to build the same train later this year!

What are your ideas so far w.r.t. locomotive, coaches (windows!), colours, stickers etc.?

Just now, ElectroDiva said:

I’ll start a separate thread for it.

Please do so we can start exchanging ideas and pictures

On 5/3/2018 at 4:20 AM, icemorons said:

Try experimenting with relocating the PF motor to the rear of the locomotive, and seeing if that has any impact on traction with additional cars.

Didn't know that could make such a difference. Just tried it on my moc and works great, thanks. 

On 5/2/2018 at 6:12 PM, ElectroDiva said:

DE24KkX.jpg

Looks very nice in those collors. I like how the black doors fit the design perfectly.

Well done, I would just try one thing, match the red/green side stripes with the ones in the tanker... hehehe, this is a must type of loco to have, got to build one to substitute the new cargo train locomotive.