Sign in to follow this  

Well, i was proud of it at the time, but i feel now that my ISD isn't sufficient enough. Numerous add ons and additions have made the model a bit unstable and the inaccuracies need to be addressed. The main issue however is the disproportional build! The bridge is too large and wide compared to the rest of the body, and it lacks the correct amount of hangers and indents in the panels.

This is all a result of me following along the structure of set 6211, which focused on an interior, messing up the proportions. I talk about it in the original post:

Now however i start from scratch, and you guys get to follow on and give out suggestions! It starts now with the gathering of extra parts and deconstructing the original destroyer. The plan is to make it bigger, more sturdy and more accurate. Got to gather up all available reference material for this beast...

Star Destroyer rebuild

Last photo of it intact.

Star Destroyer rebuildStar Destroyer rebuild

Major sections now removed. I plan to keep the bridge the same, perhaps with some slight corrections. However the rest needs to be broken up and sorted...

Now people can see the frame of the build, and the messy interior...

Hooray! Each new Star Destroyer makes me happy! :D

But I need to spoil your fun (or extend it...?) a bit!
Your bridge is too big for the ship. 

48965-lucas_destroyer.jpg

It is among the best photos I could find to get correct shaping and proportions. Try to use it and the result will be great.
As for bridge's width, go for slightly wider than top terrace's width. In this scale you are using, you can even go for the same width.

9 hours ago, Jerac said:

Hooray! Each new Star Destroyer makes me happy! :D

But I need to spoil your fun (or extend it...?) a bit!
Your bridge is too big for the ship. 

Thanks for the pic, yeah that was the driving force behind the re-build. The bridge is way too oversized, making the entire thing look stubby.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Deconstruction of the panels done, frame will be next. build on the top panels has begun.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Tons of greebles. looks like the surface of the Death Star.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Turbo Lasers. I'm happy with these, but if people have alternatives i will be happy to see.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Some of these stacks are getting unstable.

Star Destroyer rebuild

building the front top and bottom panels, and started on the frame. Not that the nose is more blunt then the sets Lego has released. Star destroyers don't seem to be that pointy, and the sharper tips tend to stick out too far.

Also getting around to the hangers. I decided that the main hanger will be moved a bit more to the centre, so that the display stand can work better with it. Does anyone have any experience to share on hanger building?

Star Destroyer planning

The top and bottom panels have gotten much larger now, and seems to be proportionate with the bridge. This rough guide shows how big the bridge will be, the size being more appropriate now. The main hanger has been moved a bit more to the centre, and probably is larger then it should be, but i don't mind, as it will make the display stand's position more stable.

It seems roughly right to me. Are you considering replacing some of the plates with tiles? That would surely look good, unless you go for UCS-like look by default.

40 minutes ago, Jerac said:

It seems roughly right to me. Are you considering replacing some of the plates with tiles? That would surely look good, unless you go for UCS-like look by default.

Im going for a more stud-UCS look, like classic lego. Also, i don't have enough tiles to do most of it i think, he he. I do plan to have some ares tiled to make ridges more defined though.

Now that have moved onto the fame i find myself in a predicament- Where on earth do i start? How do designers line it up? This is going to take quite a bit of trial and error.

Star Destroyer build

The top and bottom panels are nearing completion, each with their own challenges. The top ones need to be fitted to a frame so i can get an idea of where the bridge will be played out, and the bottom panels need to accommodate the round tractor beam/ shield generator. Also added some details from the movies on the top and bottom.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Building and testing the frame has started. I have what seems to be a fairly good start, the angle of the top and bottom panels seems fairly good, though that is up for debate if it seems too flat. The main issue at the moment is frame building, mainly the middle beam for surer, that is difficult to line up with the bridging beams. I need to find the right stop so the pieces aren't forced into any 'unnatural' position that strains them.

Star Destroyer rebuild

Frame build in progress. Thanks to the help of some members of the EB community, whom have build some amazing star destroyer models!

Frame is mostly done now. One of the hardest parts is over. Next step is to add further reinforcements to the structure, such as the underside tractor beam/shield well which will act as the rear support when placed on the stand.

Plenty of space for me to fill in at the rear, where engine details will be added. The depth of the panels is good as well, the vessel is shaping up nicely now.

1 hour ago, ShadowStrike said:

Wow. Just... Wow. Any consideration towards creating building instructions when you're done?

Unfortunately no, as i don't have any programs for that, nor am i keeping track of how i build. Best i can say is to follow the pictures posted...

Finally finished the underside panels. The hangers need to be built, though the stand comes first. Tractor beam dome is pretty undersized, but not much i can do about it. It has a very sturdy beam holding it in place, as a part of the stand and helps holds the panels in place.

Lego Star Destroyer rebuildLego Star Destroyer rebuild

Work on the bridge is under way, starting with modifications to the tractor beam array. Turned out well in my opinion. Next is to build the main bridge body in conjunction with the top panels, which have fitted nicely with the main body.

Star Destroyer build

Star Destroyer buildStar Destroyer build

Building moved back to the table now that the stand and bottom panels are down. Train bumper magnets used to hold the bottom panels in place. Detailing has also started. Working on the bridge and superstructure to commence!

Building of the superstructure has stared. Rather fiddly, difficult trying to keep the interior build neat and sturdy.

Lego Star Destroyer buildLego Star Destroyer build

Bridge is done, though the neck needs to be re-worked, going to have to use the more steeper sloped pieces due to the shortage of the 1x2 sloped pieces, and to save space.

Interior superstructure rest needs to be angled so it can fit better on the main body.

Lego Star Destroyer build

Superstructure and bridge are going well! Added the turbo lasers to the hull as well. Balancing the bridge on the structure just to give an idea of scale.

Lego Star Destroyer build

We are about to reach critical mass.

Heh, it's all coming together now, but still plenty of work to do. The superstructure and bridge will be complete soon, then the engine and hangers will be attended to, as well as the remaining details.

Star Destroyer build

Working on the final detailing, hangers and engines. Some tricky builds to pull off, but nearing completion.

Star Destroyer build

Bridge has interchangeable tractor beam arrays, with the spare one being stored inside the main hull, which can be seen in the top picture, near the rear.