Murdoch17

Wild West - Skull Rock silver mine / train tunnel - real life MOC

This Wild West model was originally LEGO set 79110 (Silver Mine Shootout) from the 2013 Lone Ranger theme. I added a more reinforced right wall and a real base-plate to support the model, as I know from experience it can be pretty flimsy if handed wrong. I also added the collapsing water tower from set 79111 (Constitution Train Chase) to the front corner as another action play feature.

43142969942_bc8d69bd85_z.jpg

The model has also been heightened by five bricks to allow for regular train cars to pass through, and is now wide enough for custom locomotives with side-rods to fit through, except for the extra-wide time train. The natural rock formation (the skull) on top of the mine gives it it's name, and features a carved out section for two cannons to protect the mine, either from Native Americans wanting their sacred mountain back, or desperadoes looking to cash in on the (supposedly cursed) silver.

43142966862_3f23aa02c3_z.jpg

These viewing windows are so you can look inside the mountain to see the details, such as the not-yet-built Delorean time machine hidden behind the waterfall. The built-in light brick helps illuminate these features.

43142966912_90a2cc4133_z.jpg

The cannons were placed in the hollowed out rock skull for defense of the mine shaft and surrounding workers camp.

28323539467_677a76b38a_z.jpg

The room on the upper left processes different pieces of silver for purity tests via a scale and heated chemical tests. The weight of the silver ingot in question is compared against the known weight of a confirmed silver bar or a weight of the same measure. If the bar is not quite pure enough or is fake, it will weigh different from the known unit. The slide on the right is for the silver to be loaded into train cars waiting below.

41116932904_24478c4d5b_z.jpg

A six-wide steam train with single-stud overhanging pistons or a caboose with a roof-top cupola can fit through the mountain without any height or width clearance issues.

28323539577_bac121e08f_z.jpg

The water tower supplies cleaner water to the work camp, in comparison to the water coming from the underground spring on the left, as that is contaminated with silver bits, and as such is un-drinkable. However, you can "blow out " the supports of the water tower using a Technic lever, blocking the train tracks and destroying the fresh water supply for the camp!

43142967052_a684d4b226_z.jpg

Near the top of the mine (just above the water fall) is a spot to place dynamite and "blow up" a section of rock. When not in use, the otherwise loose dynamite piece clips into a black part just in front of the removable rock.

43142967092_3c63b08b6d_z.jpg

This lower wall "blows up" to reveal silver pieces by turning the barrel on the next level.

28323539687_179dff6e59_z.jpg

This is where the Deloreran time machine goes when Doc Brown hides it away in 1885 for his younger self and Marty McFly to discover in 1955. I though it would be a neat Easter egg to hide it away in my silver mine... I just need to build it, with the parts showing up (hopefully) very soon.

79110-1.jpg?201302101035

Now compare my model to the original Lone Ranger set (79110) . No nearly enough room for a steam train to fit down thatĀ hole in the wall... and besides, it has a ton of gaps in the rock-work that make it seem odd.

39515167740_c12e8ca6a9_z.jpg

Anyway, comments, questions and complaints are always welcome, and if anyone wants to see the rest of my western stuff, seeĀ this topic here!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks great - I bought two sets (when TRU were selling them off at the end of the run) with a similar goal in mind. One was built into the Silver Mine set then broken down and the parts bagged, while the other is still sealed awaiting a day when I have time, space and personal time to start it. One day...

@Murdoch17Ā  I love what you've done with this!Ā  Ā Makes me wish I'd bought one of those silver mine shootout sets when they were being clearanced.Ā  Ā Alas, I didn't.Ā  Ā The only Lone Ranger set I have is a sealed 79111 Constitution Train Chase, awaiting a rainy day once my Lego layout has a permanent home and can begin construction...

You've had some inspiring ideas, and I might need to look on Bricklink/Ebay for a mine or two...

Keep up the great work!

12 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice one. And that big skull also adds a little bit of Indiana Jones feel to it.

Thanks, IĀ was going for a Adventurers vibe, so it's close enough!

11 hours ago, PeteM said:

Looks great - I bought two sets (when TRU were selling them off at the end of the run) with a similar goal in mind. One was built into the Silver Mine set then broken down and the parts bagged, while the other is still sealed awaiting a day when I have time, space and personal time to start it. One day...

No time like the present @PeteM!

6 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

cool!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, icemorons said:

@Murdoch17Ā  I love what you've done with this!Ā  Ā Makes me wish I'd bought one of those silver mine shootout sets when they were being clearanced.Ā  Ā Alas, I didn't.Ā  Ā The only Lone Ranger set I have is a sealed 79111 Constitution Train Chase, awaiting a rainy day once my Lego layout has a permanent home and can begin construction...

You've had some inspiring ideas, and I might need to look on Bricklink/Ebay for a mine or two...

Keep up the great work!

Thanks @icemorons, the slightly lackluster set is a great starting point for a better model... you never knowĀ how it will look until you try, either in LDDĀ or real life!

41136408434_9cc777eecd_z.jpg

Speaking of LEGO Digital Designer, this is my next Western project after the US ArmyĀ fort: a geared two-truck type locomotive called a "Shay". These engine's could only go about 20 MPH at top speed, and were very steady on rough track, hauling trains up grades that would stall any other steamer type. The 1 x 1 tiles on either side of the coal bunker are supposed to be printed with the number "4". The Shay type only has pistons on one side, with the other side being kinda sparsely decorated. NOTE: The design of the original Shay I redid into my version was by Stephan Pakbaz over on Flickr, as seen here. (His LDD file allowed me to build my version)

40480075814_0fc5cbafbd_z.jpg

These three steam locomotives are my as-built Wild Western-style engines as of May 2018. The red 4-6-0Ā is the passenger express, theĀ green 4-2-4 is for the US military, while the yellow 4-4-0Ā is a freight hauler. The blue shay will haulĀ silver ore from theĀ mine.

Good work, a much better looking display piece but still retaining the original functionality.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Shay as well!Ā (I had a brief attempt at one once, but tried to keep it to narrow-gauge 4-studs and, unsurprisingly, it failed drastically).

On 5/3/2018 at 3:10 AM, dr_spock said:

Neat.Ā  Nice mods and additions to playability.Ā 

Thanks @dr_spock!

On 5/3/2018 at 4:17 AM, ColletArrow said:

Good work, a much better looking display piece but still retaining the original functionality.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Shay as well!Ā (I had a brief attempt at one once, but tried to keep it to narrow-gauge 4-studs and, unsurprisingly, it failed drastically).

Sadly, the shay isn't going to happen right now.... budget only allows for so much so fast. Maybe it will be built someday, but not for now.

41962759315_3e4887a851_z.jpg

My Skull Mountain silver mine is being revised with a not-yet-built crane on the top of the newly made view-port wall. With these new additions I am trying to level off the roof at just about the base of the skull. (The window shown is a place holder for different panel parts I don't have yet, and will allow views into the mine when on display.) The exploding rock feature on this side still works, and I have included a place to hang the dynamite when it's not being used for play.

43142969942_bc8d69bd85_z.jpg

First post updated with new pictures, revised model, and updated text.

Edited by Murdoch17