Bart

[SR-FTA] New member and new ship

To celebrate the fact that I Rodsh Derr have become a member of the Free Traders Association, I've build them a ship.
I gave command to Captain Bennet, a former mate of mine for whom this is his first ship as a captain.

41798733581_e7e1f272cd_t.jpg

I present the FTA Achernar

27925264688_f7f837f452.jpg 40894557545_9b957d7213.jpg 

40894554805_935dc95d3d.jpg 39986208870_1d0c202bd8.jpg 

The FTA Achernar has been specially designed to transport big rum barrels, her mainsail boom has been strenghtend so she can load and discharge the barrels herself in any port, and her hatches enlarged.

---
On the mainmast you see the Sea-Rats colours
On the mizzenmast you'll find the banner of the FTA
and on the stern the personal flag of Rodsh Derr, which doesn't have to mean he is onboard though.

Edited by Bart
Okay why does it show all the text as a link, and how do I fix that? (help)

28 minutes ago, Bart said:

Okay why does it show all the text as a link, and how do I fix that? (help)

select the text, click the link button and use remove link (might have to try it a couple times, it seems bit buggy)

Great Ketch you have there, I need to give those curved slopes a try as well!

16 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

That's a lovely one !! :thumbup:

Great to have you in the FTA.. Welcome aboard

Thank you Professor

5 minutes ago, Legostone said:

select the text, click the link button and use remove link (might have to try it a couple times, it seems bit buggy)

Great Ketch you have there, I need to give those curved slopes a try as well!

Thanks, that worked. Somehow it got weird when I removed the links Flickr presents next to shared pictures. 
I like the curved slopes, they give some gap issues, but those are manageable. 

Another fantastic looking ship Bart! Great details and I like the swan build!

For those who may not know, Flickr is currently being purchased by smugmug, so there may be some glitches while that is taking place... Or it could just be Flickr having some spasms...

Welcome to the club Bart!  I really liked the effort to reproduce your personal flag and the ship is nice. 

Only thing I'd suggest is maybe using less colours for the cobbles on the pier - it is a bit "busy".  Rather than wide palette to get a haphazard look, maybe try different shaped pieces in the grey scale - 1x1 circle tiles, with occasional 1x1 square plates/tiles and 2x2 circle tiles to break things up.  I ran into the same problem a while back with a wood panel facade where I had four brown tones including that dark flesh one you are using - and once it was pointed out it to me I removed the dark flesh from future similar work and it improved that part of the MOCs by a significant margin.  My 2 coins though.

A nice looking ship, the hull especially looks good - tricky to do in LLD! Good job and I wish her many a successful voyage.

Thank you

@LM71Blackbird I noticed that about Flickr, it took me some effort to come past the commercial thing they had on their page showing first when I went there.

@Kwatchi I never thought about the pier being to busy, but you may have a point. On the decks I like to use a different shade of brownish because Bluerender merches all the tiles and plates in one smooth layer, you can't see tile/plate edges. so if it's all the same it becomes hard to distinguish parts. 
For example the deck tiles under the forecastle are grey, to force a shadow effect. In real bricks this wouldn't be necessary but digital I feel I have to think about stuff like that. 

@Ayrlego LDD and a hinged hull takes some/a LOT of patience :D

looking forward to sailing with you mate ... I'm sure we can drum up some large rum shipments from somewhere lol

I like the curve but I also though the colors were too busy on the warf

The Swan and the flags were a nice touch

Thanks you Roadmonkeytj 

I'll reduce some colours in a next coblestone look, maybe a bit more texture difference?

Thanks for liking the swan! I'm very pleased with that design. 

14 hours ago, Bart said:

Thanks you Roadmonkeytj 

I'll reduce some colours in a next coblestone look, maybe a bit more texture difference?

Thanks for liking the swan! I'm very pleased with that design. 

I use 1x1 and 2x2 round tiles in three shades of grey for cobble ... Seems to work well