Ron Dayes

[moc] The Pier - 90ies Nostalgia

Hi, this is a collaboration between Fictictious Pasta and me - our biggest installment, completely digital. Build with mecabricks and finally rendered in Blender to completion.

Maybe some of you remember the late 80ies and early 90ies TLG catalogues depicting Harbour scenes and Piers with a collection of all sets in the same picture.

We tried to do that era some justice by putting that scene together showing vehicles, BURPs, the classic Palm trees and a Paradisa inspired restaurant and beach hut. Enjoy a day at the pier!
If you look close, there are a lot of old sets remade in here, including the Sand Dollar Cafe, the Beach Hut, a Town Delivery Van, and so on. There are also two new cars for the collab, a Nissan Skyline R31, and an Jeep like vehicle.

40888246295_e7db219f7b_z.jpgThe Pier - 90ies Nostalgia by Ron Dayes, auf Flickr

(1/43 scaled environment and vehicles)

Pasta:
- red van
- blue japanese car (R31)
- gillnetter boat
- palmtrees
- beach hut
- minfig design
- RENDERING and final edit

Dayes:
- black sportscar
- yellow 4x4 (Jeep)
- Restaurant
- water
- wooden pier
- rockwork
- LAYOUT and arrangement

Edited by Ron Dayes

Amazing build and awesome collaboration. I do miss those big displays they used to make showing everything together in the ads that came with sets and in catalogs. This is very reminiscent of those large collections.

Very realistic and believable, model train like detail. Fantastic work both of you!

3 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

BURPs

Its been a while since I've seen that acronym and you both made BURPs look great in this scene.

Digital builds definitely deserve more interest... :sceptic: 

Incredible work, guys! As a big Paradisa fan, I like this a lot! I really dig the color scheme and the atmosphere! And all that SNOTing going on for the wooden pier... :wub: :thumbup: I really love the restaurant, the rock-work, the gillnetter boat and the water (that's the first time I see a water like this in a digital build, I really wonder how it's made)! It's great to see how many possibilities digital builders have these days! 

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 30.4.2018 at 3:31 AM, koalayummies said:

Amazing build and awesome collaboration. I do miss those big displays they used to make showing everything together in the ads that came with sets and in catalogs. This is very reminiscent of those large collections.

Very realistic and believable, model train like detail. Fantastic work both of you!

Its been a while since I've seen that acronym and you both made BURPs look great in this scene.

thanks mate, yeah those pieces are definately useful for doing rockwork if covered enough ;)

20 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Digital builds definitely deserve more interest... :sceptic: 

Incredible work, guys! As a big Paradisa fan, I like this a lot! I really dig the color scheme and the atmosphere! And all that SNOTing going on for the wooden pier... :wub: :thumbup: I really love the restaurant, the rock-work, the gillnetter boat and the water (that's the first time I see a water like this in a digital build, I really wonder how it's made)! It's great to see how many possibilities digital builders have these days! 

Apparently discussing soon to be released sets is way more important than checking other builders mocs. Just the way it is these days...

Many thanks though - paradisa is like the best ever, the colours really sell the whole flair of these old sets back in the 90ies, so we definately wanted that.
The water was very tricky, i built several layers of 1x1 round plates and angled them each individually into 8x8 stud squares and 4x4 stud squares, then copy paste - that was the easy part then. Problem is that it takes up a huge part count and increases rendering time by hours.

Ok, I've been waiting for some time but I just can't anymore - it makes me really sad to see this amazing MOC only received two replies (excluding the thank you comment). I think we should encourage @Ron Dayes to continue posting his MOCs and I think he deserves more comments. Maybe you didn't find this MOC good... Then say what he could improve to do better, I think he would appreciate your feedback... :classic: Maybe this MOC wasn't got noticed among other topics though. :classic:

Nice work indeed. And I love the trueness to scale. I try to do that now myself but progress is a bit slow now (or maybe my project itself is a bit too ambitious...)

I think the cars are amazing and really are the starts of this scene.

On 13.5.2018 at 12:14 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Ok, I've been waiting for some time but I just can't anymore - it makes me really sad to see this amazing MOC only received two replies (excluding the thank you comment). I think we should encourage @Ron Dayes to continue posting his MOCs and I think he deserves more comments. Maybe you didn't find this MOC good... Then say what he could improve to do better, I think he would appreciate your feedback... :classic: Maybe this MOC wasn't got noticed among other topics though. :classic:

Thanks for your kind effort pushing this MOC back into the main page (for at least a few hours/days). But it is how it is - this wont discourage me from building, but definately from posting anything on EB. Town forum has kinda died imo when it comes to new creations that arent just mods or modular variants, the pioneering spirit for anything new and not Speed champions seems gone. Too bad really, used to be different. Was a nice time. But glad to see you giving it a spin with your modular thread that frequently shows inspirational builds. Carry on!1

On 15.5.2018 at 8:00 AM, Man with a hat said:

Nice work indeed. And I love the trueness to scale. I try to do that now myself but progress is a bit slow now (or maybe my project itself is a bit too ambitious...)

I think the cars are amazing and really are the starts of this scene.

Many thanks Man with a hat :)
Oh really? Cool - the project is definately ambitious in smaller scales, but once you are done its very pleasing to look at^^. If you need any input or ideas, just check my flickr, quite a few concern scaling discussions with fellow builders.
Cheers!

Lovely large-scale buildings and cars. Excellent choice of color solutions. The wooden part of the pier very much. Thoughtful and faithful work turned out.:wub:

Almost missed this one. Glad I didn't! Great athmosphere and the variety of vehicles and other builds really stands out.