Dr.Cogg

Ninjago City Expansion wishlist

On 10/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

These are so amazing . . .

Here are at least two other complementary creations featured at that same show:

BrickCon 2018BrickCon 2018

Do you guys think Lego should add more races to the Ninjago City Expansions, like Serpentine (because they're good now)?

23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here are at least two other complementary creations featured at that same show:

Oh, and also, these builds at Seattle BrickCon 2018 were apparently part of a collaboration hosted by The Brothers Brick blog:

The Brothers Brick - Ninjago City collaborative display at BrickCon 2018 

TBB-Ninjago-City-Collab-BrickCon-Display

On 10/20/2018 at 7:38 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

Do you guys think Lego should add more races to the Ninjago City Expansions, like Serpentine (because they're good now)?

Not sure, Ninjago City already feels a lot more like Creator Expert modulars than the regular Ninjago sets. I can see this evolving into an asian-styled modular city without the fantasy elements. (Especially considering they can't keep continuing the Ninjago Movie line indefinitely)    

1 hour ago, Bloktopus said:

Not sure, Ninjago City already feels a lot more like Creator Expert modulars than the regular Ninjago sets. I can see this evolving into an asian-styled modular city without the fantasy elements. (Especially considering they can't keep continuing the Ninjago Movie line indefinitely)    

Nooooo, the fantasy elements are what makes it more interesting than normal Modulars! 

I'd like to see Serpentine as civilians. 

On 4/29/2018 at 8:21 PM, Dr.Cogg said:

[...]

#4 Ronin's Pawn shop and Sky tram station

I got this ?.. Well not exactly, but my ninjago-city has a monorail-station :classic:..

20181124_011613752_iOS.jpg

On 11/24/2018 at 2:23 AM, glx said:

I got this ?.. Well not exactly, but my ninjago-city has a monorail-station :classic:..

20181124_011613752_iOS.jpg

Looks great!

Here's a better look at that Ninjago City collaborative build from Seattle's BrickCon 2018, thanks to Beyond the Brick:

WOW,...some incredible stuff in this thread. I also hope very much for another addition of Ninjago to join 'Docks' and 'City'. Be wonderful to have a large Ninjago city.

I'm fairly new to the Hobby and I am sorry if I am going over old ground, but is there any hint that Lego will release more large Ninjago sets to join 'City' and 'Docks'?

Not yet, but if they continue to sell well I wouldn't be surprised if they made another one.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

One day I'll finish something like this.
Sad to hear the builder couldn't let the rollercoaster tracks work with the tram.

Unless there is a sequel for the movie (doubtful since the first one didn't do that well), I seriously dout there will ever be anything added to this line. I would love to be proven wrong though!

That is disappointing, I was hoping they would just bring out more sets, hopefully some creative City moc builders can make some instructions for us to get to build more expansions ;)

I just bought Ninjago City on sale on Black Friday.  I already had the Docks.  

I wonder if these new Asian sets that are being released (Boat Race, for example) might someday lead to Ninjago City expansions.  I know fans can mod the sets to fit with Ninjago City, but maybe LEGO will start making sets under the general Asian theme that blend seamlessly with Ninjago City (with the waterways, connecting pins, etc,).

Now that Ninjago City Gardens has been confirmed to be a show set I figured that I would resurrect this thread.

Future sets I would like to see:

Borg Tower

The Royal Palace

SOG Hideout

Sky Tram

Not a specific location from the show, but if we get another horizontal section, I think it'd be pretty cool to get a beach. Sun and sand overlooked by both traditional beachfront shops and restaurants plus more modern shopping and maybe a fancy hotel.

In the past I wanted more specific locations like Borg Tower or the school and warehouse district from the movie, but as time has gone on I've grown to prefer a more eclectic mix of subjects that aren't as monopolized by any one large building.

11 hours ago, captain jari said:

A modulor with a sky train would be really cool but I am not sure how they would manage to make it interconnect with future sets.

I feel like if they did that the sky train would have to be a separate train set style kit that just includes a suggested way to wrap it around the city. 

id love a beachfront set, a warehouse set, a borg tower set (the only real “major” location from the shows city that would make sense for a set) or an area inspired by styxx with more water and docks surrounding the lower levels.

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Not a specific location from the show, but if we get another horizontal section, I think it'd be pretty cool to get a beach. Sun and sand overlooked by both traditional beachfront shops and restaurants plus more modern shopping and maybe a fancy hotel.

In the past I wanted more specific locations like Borg Tower or the school and warehouse district from the movie, but as time has gone on I've grown to prefer a more eclectic mix of subjects that aren't as monopolized by any one large building.

I don't think there will be more horizontal sections.   70657 does not work very well on its own as a model, only as an expansion. The vertically layered character of the city is what gives it its appeal, IMO.

Since 70620 has text references to a theater that is yet to exist on the stickers , I feel like an expansion with a theater, amongst other things, would be a natural add-on to the left side of 70620.

Edited by CopperTablet

20 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

I don't think there will be more horizontal sections.   70657 does not work very well on its own as a model, only as an expansion. The vertically layered character of the city is what gives it its appeal, IMO.

Since 70620 has text references to a theater that is yet to exist on the stickers , I feel like an expansion with a theater, amongst other things, would be a natural add-on to the left side of 70620.

I don't know, I think not having horizontal sections would be a bad thing. For me, I only currently really have the space to display the sets as a "row" along a wall. Having too many corners in that format could get repetitive fast and could cause collision issues in spots where features overhang the edge of the plate on non-adjoining sides. Heck, even if you display the sets "in the round" you would still need at least one more 32x32 horizontal section (or two 16x32 sections) to complete a full "block" of buildings.

I also don't think the Docks displays too badly on its own (even if it lacks some of the grandeur of the original City), plus I don't think it's fair to assume that any future horizontal expansion would have to choose to trade elevation for width the same exact way it did. If anything, I would prefer to have variety and worry that without varying the orientation of sections, the series would run out of interesting things to do with corners twice as quickly as it would otherwise.