Six to seven years so I came across a great local Lego reseller.  He would buy and resell bricks, would have a great selection of older hard to find stuff, and had a passion for Lego.  Business was successful and he had his partner ended up franchising the business out. 

Since it's been franchised out, there has been a steady decline.  Most of what is carried now is newer, pretty easy to find stuff.  I've quit going here as we have a local official Lego store close enough by.

I did catch wind of an event, though, that I feel is fairly unethical, and unimaginative.  Pretty much everything that Lego is not.  

See below for the event in question.  It's a build and take event where you pay $7.99 can build Kylo's shuttle or a heavy walker.  I've seen both of these sets locally at stores still for $2-3 cheaper.  

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time supporting any business that just doesn't try.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1097301130419042/?ti=as

It is a business offering a service. You pay a little extra for the polybag, but get to go and build it there. If you don't want the service, go to a different store and buy the polybag and take it home and build it on your own.

LEGO selling has changed a fair bit recently. Easy to find stuff is easy to find and sell on. Older LEGO can be harder to find now (at the right price) due to everyone knowing it is worth its weight in gold and they can make fortunes selling it on ebay. Although the reality is that it can be a lot of work for not much profit (if anything) if it turns out the good parts have been removed and it is just bulk junk being sold on.