Robert8

LEGO - 40291 Hans Christian Andersen

I saw this yesterday. That needs to be that's DEFINITELY the best promotional item ever!! That looks like a wonderful MOC rather than an official set/promotional item! :wub: I'd have payed 65€ to buy this if it was a set, but it isn't, TLG is so kind to offer this for free! I just can't believe! This is incredible! What do you think about it, @Robert8 and others? 

Edited by LegoModularFan

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Special set featuring danish author Hans Christian Andersen *oh2*

Looks like a pretty solid build for a promotional set. :thumbup: *huh*

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like a pretty solid build for a promotional set. :thumbup: *huh*

I completely agree, a nice chunk of beige and brown bricks. I'm curious what the brickcount will be! :classic:

I wonder about the significance of it now. The only anniversary I can spot is 180 years since he published The Wild Swans.

Interesting also at a time when the Pop-up book is considered by many to be the frontrunner on the next Lego Ideas review.  This could be interpreted in a few ways:

(1) Lego thinks that book builds like these are a great idea, therefore they will greenlight the Ideas project

(2) The pop-up book will be rejected, because they already had this in the works

(3) Just pure coincidence

I’m glad to see we’ll get it here in the US, as revealed by the LEGO Store calendar for June. It’s neat that we can add Hans Christian Andersen to the list of real people officially portrayed in LEGO sets. Does he actually have unique printed elements, though, or is he wholly made up of re-uses? Also, is that tile with his name printed or stickered?

Also also, there are now quite a few sets based on this gentleman and his writings. Between the five sets of the HCA subtheme of Belville back in 2005, ten (!) products based on Disney’s adaptation of The Little Mermaid (two minifigures in the Disney Minifigures Series, two DUPLO sets, and six minidoll sets), and now this, that’s a full sixteen LEGO releases based on HCA and his works (not counting any TLM references in the Disney Castle). Are there any more I’ve overlooked?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

15 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Interesting also at a time when the Pop-up book is considered by many to be the frontrunner on the next Lego Ideas review.  This could be interpreted in a few ways:

(1) Lego thinks that book builds like these are a great idea, therefore they will greenlight the Ideas project

(2) The pop-up book will be rejected, because they already had this in the works

(3) Just pure coincidence

I'm going with coincidence. If the Ideas pop-up book is approved, it will be on the shelves until mid 2019, so there isn't really much of an issue

It looks similar to the pop-up book on Lego Ideas... but I don't think it actually pops up. I wonder if they'll do a whole set of these based on different authors. 

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Review, by The BrickFan

Some of the other build suggestions (parts not included) are also pretty amusing, especially the second one from the left based upon The Emperor's New Clothes. :laugh:

LEGO Creative Storybook (40291)

Absolutely amazing. Beautiful little set. For me, lot better then the pop-up book on Lego Ideas.

Getting mine tomorrow and looking forward to building. I’m tempted to try make some of the alternates above to so it’s more of a series. 

Just got mine! ordered the Statue of Liberty architecture set to get it.  I think its the coolest free item I have seen Lego give away.  My only wish that it had the mermaid in it as part of the storybook instead, but it looks like you can have that added in as the other build suggestions show

On 6/8/2018 at 7:05 PM, the_Yoyo said:

Just got mine! ordered the Statue of Liberty architecture set to get it.  I think its the coolest free item I have seen Lego give away.  My only wish that it had the mermaid in it as part of the storybook instead, but it looks like you can have that added in as the other build suggestions show

Made the same purchase! The Statue of Liberty is one of my new favorites. Haven't build 40291 yet, and will keep it sealed for a while, but I was pleasantly surprised by the large size of the box. It agree that it's one of the best give-aways I've got from LEGO.

1 hour ago, cocabottle said:

Made the same purchase! The Statue of Liberty is one of my new favorites. Haven't build 40291 yet, and will keep it sealed for a while, but I was pleasantly surprised by the large size of the box. It agree that it's one of the best give-aways I've got from LEGO.

Snap! Built mine and loved every minute of both builds!

Sitting here with the parts spread out in front of me, I have to agree with most others, fantastic set, very impressive part selection for sure, especially for a giveaway.

I also noticed the other builds in the front of the instruction book, pictured in other post. From the looks of them they will just sit right into the book, like the swan scene included with the set. Does anyone know anything at all about those other scenes, will they be future giveaways, for sale or something else. I would very much like instructions for them, even though they look pretty easy to do from just the pictures.

Well time to enjoy the build, fabulous set I would have easily paid $30 for this set, I know it is valued at $19.99 though. 

When the first pictures of the instructions got posted, I looked at the additional builds. But they look like to be build on a 6x10 baseplate opposing the 6x8 baseplate from the actual build with the swan.

2 hours ago, julesvincent said:

When the first pictures of the instructions got posted, I looked at the additional builds. But they look like to be build on a 6x10 baseplate opposing the 6x8 baseplate from the actual build with the swan.

Yes you are correct, good catch. I must say that is rather asinine for sure, what the hell are those pictures for then?

Maybe it was originally planned with a 6x10 and they created a few scenes to choose from. Then in the finalization they cropped it to 6x8, maybe to reduce costs, but still decided to give us the other scenes as inspiration for modding it.

Well, and to show us other works from Andersen with the year they were written in.

Edited by julesvincent

Sounds reasonable enough and I am grateful for the extra pictures. Note to self, must remember 6x8 when reverse engineering extra pages. 

Has anyone built the pictured models?

I'm building them in LDD at the moment but I'm stuck trying to figure out how the Tin Soldier's boat is held together. Any ideas?

I guess it has something to do with the black and white parts beneath the front of the boat. But Incan‘t make them out.

But there are probably a dozen possibilites to fix the two front wedges to the baseplate somehow.