A couple of years back I sold the digital files of my first crane to a German guy. He used them to create his own (simplified) version of it and sells the buildinginstructions of it. So it does look a lot like my crane, because it is based on it, but it is indeed not the same.

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

A couple of years back I sold the digital files of my first crane to a German guy. He used them to create his own (simplified) version of it and sells the buildinginstructions of it. So it does look a lot like my crane, because it is based on it, but it is indeed not the same.

Ohhh, I understand. I was just pointing it out in my post; I did not know.

Hey, @Jeroen Ottens, between first and second parts past 2 weeks, after second part past more than two weeks, so any news about the boom? :sweet:

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hey, @Jeroen Ottens, between first and second parts past 2 weeks, after second part past more than two weeks, so any news about the boom? :sweet:

I got sidetracked on yet another project :blush: (and to be honest I had the second part already finished when I showed the first part).

I have a first version of the boom lying on my table, I also figured out how to route all the cables for the 4 stage boom and how maximize the volume available in the outer boom. I just haven't got around to order the extra parts (I need an insane amount of black 3x11 curved panels. Luckily the hovercraft is a good supply for these :classic:).

So don't worry, it is still ongoing, but with the holidays around the corner it could take a while longer than two weeks :grin:

12 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Luckily the hovercraft is a good supply for these :classic:).

that was one reason I got it, 12 panels 3x11 + 5x11!

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

So don't worry, it is still ongoing, but with the holidays around the corner it could take a while longer than two weeks :grin:

Oh, that's just curiosity...  Don't hurry up, the final result is more important.

On 25-5-2018 at 7:44 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Hi Jeroen, i got that, bought that version on ebay from him.

Unfortunately i never got it to work properly, despite the rebuilding it a few times.

Problem i had was the driving forward and backwards. 

Can really explain it but think an axle was too loose.  Hope to some this one finished  one day and yes with instructions:classic::classic::classic:

Hi,

Time for another update. I finished a first version of the boom (and I redesigned quite a few bits in the carrier). I did a first testdrive in my garden to see whether the whole would still be manageable or whether it would collapse due to it's own weight. To my relief I was able to erect and extend the boom and then let is stand without any help:

29511894108_ebfe9c749e_k.jpg

The thing is massive! It is difficult to judge it's scale from the photo, but when you stand next to it you feel dwarved. The numbers are also getting insane. The boom alone uses 90 11-stud long panels. The whole model has >1000 black friction pins (I actually start to see the bottom of my black pin bin which I'd never thought I'd ever see again). I used 284 gears and 900 axles so far. I estimate that I use 50 m of rope. The weight of the boom is so big that my brickbuilt cilinders do not stand a change of lifting it, so I added a rope and pully system to help lifting it. The construction is completely form-locked, but even then it is being pried apart when lifting the boom, so I will have to add more reinforcements to it. Even though the photo might suggest that the design is finished, it is not. There is quite a list of things that I want to change still:

• The rope for lifting the boom and the extention of the cilinders need to go to the same group of RC operations (if you remember there are 4 sets of 3 functions each in the superstructure) so that it is possible to drive the cilinders and the ropes at the same time.
  • A driving mechanism for extending the inner sections needs to be made that is strong enough (at least it is self braking now)
  • The structure where the pulleys in the rear are connected to needs to be strengthened (there are even some form-locked constructions that are being pried apart)
  • The stabilizer arms need to lift further upwards
  • The small LA’s in the stabilizer arms need to be replaced with big LA’s (that will bring the total amount of big LA’s in this model to 12)
  • The rope for the hook needs to be properly guided along the boom
  • The legs to put the boom on when moving the boom from the carrier to a transport wagon need to be designed and added

A couple of functions do not work properly:

• The rotation of the superstructure is only possible with manual assistance
  • The switching between the functions in the superstructure are driven too fast, meaning it is a hit and hope approach in changing functions

So still a lot of work ahead... For those who are interested: work on the instructions has started.

As a final picture, the model in it's road going configuration:

42665572754_3211299b54_b.jpg

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Come on man, you are killing me! Four sections boom with Y-arrangements!!! Me went start collecting black panels...

Really huge. That thing is a literal weapon. it is 2 ft taller than the average person.

Are you stringing the outward supports?

But will you put the winches through the Y-arrangements? To keep the boom strange and not flexible..

Just now, Aleh said:

But will you put the winches through the Y-arrangements? To keep the boom strange and not flexible..

Thats What i was trying to ask.

I usually don’t care much for cranes (or anything non-supercar really...), but that thing... wow!!! What’s the total part count? 

OMG! I know I said spend time well before your holiday but I never imagined you’d be able to spend it this well. The stats alone are amazing.

Oh how I dream of being this talented.

Edited by grum64

7 minutes ago, grum64 said:

OMG! I know I said spend time well before your holiday but I never I never imagined you’d be able to spend it this well. The stats alone are amazing.

Talented not born, talented become. 

3 hours ago, Aleh said:

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Thats What i was trying to ask.

Yes that is the goal. I actually made attachment points for a latticebeam on top of the telescopic beams, so maybe I will add that too :devil:

3 hours ago, LvdH said:

I usually don’t care much for cranes (or anything non-supercar really...), but that thing... wow!!! What’s the total part count? 

Currently I am around 7400 pieces

27 minutes ago, grum64 said:

OMG! I know I said spend time well before your holiday but I never imagined you’d be able to spend it this well. The stats alone are amazing.

Now that the Testarossa is done I found my rhythm again. I might even find a lost hour for another project before the holidays :wink:

33 minutes ago, Aleh said:

What are the holidays you are talking about?

Summerholidays are about to start in the Netherlands

Wow, that's a massive. Will it be sturdy enough to lift stuff?

4 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The boom alone uses 90 11-stud long panels. *snip* For those who are interested: work on the instructions has started.

Oh Noes! 3*11 or 5*11? Which colour? 

2 hours ago, zux said:

Wow, that's a massive. Will it be sturdy enough to lift stuff?

Oh Noes! 3*11 or 5*11? Which colour? 

I think so. But it is a bit of a balancing act. The most important thing for lifting heavy stuff is making sure that the crane doesn't topple over. Strengthwise I think it can handle really a lot.

From the top of my head (for just the boom):
28x white 3x11 curved
24x black 3x11 curved
4x black 3x11 curved with 10 pinholes
14x black 5x11
6x white 5x11
14x black 3x11

For the whole model you'll need additional:
21x white 5x11
1x DBG 5x11

That's one heck of an UPdate! :laugh: (I like puns, sorry. :tongue:) I will maybe be able to get the parts to build this insane model in about 10 years... Amazing work, it's hard to believe that boom can support itself like that.

The only thing I'm scaring about except the fact I'll need more than one year to collect all needed panels is that we ourselves will become hunting for this parts and they may become much more expensive. Or Am I wrong? Similarly happened with metal hook and great Ultimate 42009 few years ago.

BTW I see in my dreams a photo with this beauty, 42082 and my own Liebherr LR, which is about 2 meters high and not announced yet.

13 minutes ago, Aleh said:

The only thing I'm scaring about except the fact I'll need more than one year to collect all needed panels is that we ourselves will become hunting for this parts and they may become much more expensive. Or Am I wrong? Similarly happened with metal hook and great Ultimate 42009 few years ago.

BTW I see in my dreams a photo with this beauty, 42082 and my own Liebherr LR, which is about 2 meters high and not announced yet.

I haven't decided yet how to optimize the parts in this model. I have to choose between a couple approaches:

1) Pick a few sets and optimize to use as many of the parts of these sets as possible (the Mack & Hovercraft could be excellent parts donors). This will mean that the build becomes more difficult because look-alike parts (like 13L and 11L beams will not be colourcoded).
2) Minimize the number of unique part-colour combinations. This is the approach I have chosen now, only ~250 unique parts are needed now and most of them are quite common I think.
3) Optimize to the best looking colours irrespective of colourcoding. This would also mean that for instance the colour axles on the outriggers would become black or grey. Of course this also runs the risk of using rare parts.

I am looking forward to your LR...