On 2/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, pagicence said:

I don't get it. @Jeroen Ottens you spent so much time developing this great creation, motorizing it, making sure that all works how it's suppose to, considering all the little thing and whatnot... It's super slow and it still needs help!? I know that is heavy, but is it really that heavy that the motors can barely handle it? What gives?

It is the weight of the boom that is just too much too handle. Even with the 10x reduction in the added string-based boom raising the motors struggle to get it raised from the horizontal plane. I did succeed once, but the second try just gave slipping gears (which mostly are very well braced), so I had to help a little at the start.
Extending the boom is also done with string, but there I couldn't get that many back-and-forths with the string (I tried, but it just became a entangled mess).

On 2/14/2019 at 2:25 AM, nigel1975 said:

I think if we want a fully functional model then we would need to change the objective. One objective here was to use the max 8 channels for the PF IR, so to get all the functionality there is a lot more gears, axles, switches (all adding weight). All these components have to deal with the combined weight of the MOC and there is a lot part strain, gear slippage and/or just not enough torque from the motors. Even if we got more torque I imagine we would only end up destroying axles, universal joints etc. Individually the functions work pretty well e.g. the carrier drive, steering, outriggers work very well until you add all the weight from superstructure and boom.

I think that If we remove the restriction of 8 channels and directly motorize the functions and use 5+ sbricks we would have a good chance of getting a working model. We could also change the turntable to use similar concept to the Lego Rough Terrain Crane, however we would need to change the scale of the model to accommodate the 1/4 circle gear racks. The boom itself would need to loose some weight and I would probably sacrifice the support legs.

I have achieved something like this when I built a MOD version of the crane by Peteria on ReBrickable:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-7912/peteria/crane-mast-part-3/#photos

Having built several MOC cranes now I can see all the pros and cons of the techniques used and one day hope that I have time to build my own creation (most likely in retirement!)

For anyway attempting this MOC, don't say that Jeroen hasn't warned you of the limitations :-)

You are absolutely right. My objective has always been to only use the 8 channels of the PF system. If every function would have a separate motor the model would definitely run better. Now that LEGO comes with it's own BT-based system that does become an option :excited:, however you would need a tablet to get all the controls in one screen :laugh:

On 2/14/2019 at 6:30 AM, AFOLegofan66 said:

I just finished this crane and for sure there are limitations to it’s performance. Jeroen did warn us of this! That said I had a lot of fun building this crane and was really surprised that the functions worked as well as they did despite the weight. The boom indeed was overwhelming in weight and played a part in in reduced performance but what an amazing design!! It’s too bad that I will have to dismantle this beast for parts...thanks for another awesome build!!

BTW @nigel1975 you did an amazing job on this project...beautiful color scheme!!

Thanks, I am glad you liked the build.

1 hour ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

What is the weight of the crane / boom ?

It´s very impressive !

Thanks. I think the boom alone already weighs >4 kg... I have mine assembled with all the strings nicely routed, so I don't want to take it apart to do an exact measurement, maybe someone else can do a measurement?

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I was not. Thanks for pointing this out. It is quite amazing, since I had them taken down already once two weeks ago... They risk losing their entire site as a repeat offender...

Site is no longer available :wink:

Tagging @Sheepo as well since his Mustang is there, too. No idea who the creators of the other mocs are :damn:

------

On a lighter note - still in awe at your work, Jeroen :wub:

That website is still up. The U.S. address is at the end of a local airport's runway, on Long Island, NY. The NY business register has no records of a company Vonado, LLC. 

Yep it's still up, for what it's worth they include the instructions for free, you only pay for the bricks, wonder if they are even actual LEGO parts. 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:20 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Yep it's still up, for what it's worth they include the instructions for free, you only pay for the bricks, wonder if they are even actual LEGO parts. 

Shipping from China .... must I say more ??

(Never original Lego parts)

Hard to see this chinese pirates .

Edit :

They write :

• Buy your favorite MOC with just one click

It's a fast and easy way to get the MOC you want while also supporting your favorite builder.

( I don´t believe it )

Edited by Wolf_Zipp

3 hours ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

Shipping from China .... must I say more ??

(Never original Lego parts)

Hard to see this chinese pirates .

Edit :

They write :

• Buy your favorite MOC with just one click

It's a fast and easy way to get the MOC you want while also supporting your favorite builder.

( I don´t believe it )

Agreed.  Just look at the price as well.  Though it is steep, the real build out of genuine LEGO bricks would be much more.  Not to mention the man-hours on BL, or order through other avenues, for all the pieces.

Little late to the party here but last week I saw this moc model for sale on Amazon and the next day it was unavailable. However this has sparked my interest.

Reading though the comments here it seems some of you may have purchased or recreated this model. If so how could I go about finding this model?

42 minutes ago, Speedlabdan said:

Little late to the party here but last week I saw this moc model for sale on Amazon and the next day it was unavailable. However this has sparked my interest.

Reading though the comments here it seems some of you may have purchased or recreated this model. If so how could I go about finding this model?

I think it would be fairly expensive exercise to build from scratch - based on some of the 'Lego' part cost estimates on Rebrickable it could set you back upwards of $2000. I have been building MOC's for several years and was fortunate to have > 90% of parts after I changed the color scheme to red/black. On top of this I still had to spend about $150 for missing parts - I normally consider what other MOC's I might build to justify the investment. It really depends if you have the money upfront, whether you are willing to spend several days trying to source parts at best possible price (Lego Store, Bricklink, Brickowl, Toypro, Ebay etc). There is no 'endorsed' set available as far as I know, unless Jeroen plans to make it available through one of the crowd-sourced MOC websites that provide all the parts (maybe it would be a nice option)

I would not buy this MOC model on any website, it is intended to be built with real Lego and the instructions should be purchased from the designer directly. I have seen all the comments regarding how bad the parts are in these knock-off sets. I was very sad when I even saw some of my own photos that I've shared being used to promote these.

Just now, nigel1975 said:

I think it would be fairly expensive exercise to build from scratch - based on some of the 'Lego' part cost estimates on Rebrickable it could set you back upwards of $2000. I have been building MOC's for several years and was fortunate to have > 90% of parts after I changed the color scheme to red/black. On top of this I still had to spend about $150 for missing parts - I normally consider what other MOC's I might build to justify the investment. It really depends if you have the money upfront, whether you are willing to spend several days trying to source parts at best possible price (Lego Store, Bricklink, Brickowl, Toypro, Ebay etc). There is no 'endorsed' set available as far as I know, unless Jeroen plans to make it available through one of the crowd-sourced MOC websites that provide all the parts (maybe it would be a nice option)

I would not buy this MOC model on any website, it is intended to be built with real Lego and the instructions should be purchased from the designer directly. I have seen all the comments regarding how bad the parts are in these knock-off sets. I was very sad when I even saw some of my own photos that I've shared being used to promote these.

I couldn't have phrased it better myself. @Speedlabdan: you can contact me directly on my website if you want (you can't send me personal messages here on Eurobricks until you have made 10 posts)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly guys, that indeed is a lot of cash to source all the parts. However I'm not completely deterred from pursuing this.

I wouldn't be interested in knock off Legos from China but the post I saw on Amazon was enough to get me excited about it.

I have a couple original Lego cranes currently. I've always been into them and coincidentally I am a career crane operator which keeps me interested. I've seen a few youtube videos including the red and black version.

I'll head over to your site Jeroen, thanks

20 minutes ago, Speedlabdan said:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly guys, that indeed is a lot of cash to source all the parts. However I'm not completely deterred from pursuing this.

I wouldn't be interested in knock off Legos from China but the post I saw on Amazon was enough to get me excited about it.

I have a couple original Lego cranes currently. I've always been into them and coincidentally I am a career crane operator which keeps me interested. I've seen a few youtube videos including the red and black version.

I'll head over to your site Jeroen, thanks

In that case I really encourage you to make this a project for several months, finding the parts for best price will be as challenging as the MOC. One thing I did, which was a good lead up to this MOC in terms of spreading costs, was build some of the other cranes on Rebirckable i.e. I choose red as base color and then worked my way up through the Ultimate 42009 (JurgenKrooShoop), Grove GMK6400 (motomatt), Crane Construcion (Peteria) and then the LTM11200 [and subsequently with those parts the LR11000 (Olejka)]. This method I felt less guilt of purchasing parts and also gained a lot of experience. I also seem to have much more fascination with cranes these days and watch a lot of YouTube videos :-)

The superstructure I didn't have major issues with build and functionality, but the boom may be challenging to operate once built - perhaps you could help with improvements there. I hope to one day come back to building this MOC again and try some modifications based on some other MOC's I've seen, some possible custom parts etc.

For interest in cranes, one day to build at even bigger scale like crawler 1:20

Edited by nigel1975

14 minutes ago, nigel1975 said:
14 minutes ago, nigel1975 said:

In that case I really encourage you to make this a project for several months, finding the parts for best price will be as challenging as the MOC. One thing I did, which was a good lead up to this MOC in terms of spreading costs, was build some of the other cranes on Rebirckable i.e. I choose red as base color and then worked my way up through the Ultimate 42009 (JurgenKrooShoop), Grove GMK6400 (motomatt), Crane Construcion (Peteria) and then the LTM11200 [and subsequently with those parts the LR11000 (Olejka)]. This method I felt less guilt of purchasing parts and also gained a lot of experience. I also seem to have much more fascination with cranes these days and watch a lot of YouTube videos :-)

The superstructure I didn't have major issues with build and functionality, but the boom may be challenging to operate once built - perhaps you could help with improvements there. I hope to one day come back to building this MOC again and try some modifications based on some other MOC's I've seen, some possible custom parts etc.

For interest in cranes, one day to build at even bigger scale like crawler 1:20

So far I started with an older crawler #8288 and then I built the Mkll 42009 which I see a few simularities. I'd also like to build the 42042 crawler but of course Lego sets aren't as intricate or large like this ltm11200.

it's just the tip of the iceberg for me but my interest is growing!

These other models you have listed, are they also searchable, are they on rebrickable?

Edited by Speedlabdan
Add on

Wow... definitely an impressive build and sucks to see that your creation was cloned and sold without your consent.  I hope you are able to get fixed.

It seems that those fake legos are cloning like mushrooms on Amazon.fr lately.

By seeking for "grue 7692", you got 2 pages of results in the same price range with the following exotic names : Yvsoo, Yxflower, Godnece, Majoz, Tetake, Batop, Seciie, Gettesy, IIKA, Tosbess, Amitas, Yavso, Sunbary...

Seems they have a good name generator.

BTW, no one seems to buy those anyway because It's way too expensive for the average user and experienced lego users will probably try to document themselves and avoid buying crap like that. Should be seen as an advertissment for the real thing.

12 hours ago, dao8 said:

hello shineyu can i have your mail please?

Do not ask for e-mail here. If you have questions send the builder a pm. Also refrain from reviving older topics and try to use proper grammar even if English isn't your first language.

Hello! Finally I've collected almost all necessary parts (+99%) and assembled this masterpiece. I'm pretty sure this simultaneously is the most terrific, complex and functional MOC I've ever seen and build! So many gears! Everything works pretty well despite the enormous weight and load.

But to save parts and battery power I haled with hands to raise and extend the boom and rotate it.

Once I saw it first in 2018 I noticed that it has the Y-arrangement ob the main boom, but it was not perpendicular and functionless, useless. I fixed this issue immediately. Now the boom is not bending and the Y-arrangement works as it is in the real crane. I used three more strings (yes, the three moooore strings) and wheels from the motorcycle. 

I'll upload several photos tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, Here are several photos of my tiny modification. The weight is 2 Kilos, not lb!

All photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Aleh/not-a-moc-

1920x1440.jpg

1920x2560.jpg

1920x2560.jpg

1920x2560.jpg

As you can see the Y-arrangement helps to the main boom independently from he boom's extension lenght or raising degree. It's fully adjustable and manual. This is the simpliest and cheapiest way. More realistic view you can get if to use chain links from 42007 set for example instead of the low string which support the arrangement from bending to the high. BUt you will need I don't know even, but at least 100 of them.

Edited by Aleh