Hi everyone,

This is my first MOC to be published here on the forum: a small/compact rally hatchback. It is not a copy of an existing car, but the front is inspired by modern Audi's.

The design parameters that I want to achieve include the following:

• Fast drivetrain 
  • Lots of torque (the car must be able to drive on tarmac, dirt and sand)
  • An average scale of 1:12.5
  • Front and rear independent suspension
  • Front and rear PF lights
  • Servo steering with small turning radius
  • Buwizz 2.0 to increase performance (located under the bonnet for better weightdistribution and easy acces)
  • A light and rigid chassis
  • Openable doors and bonnet
  • A realistic/clean interior (no visible moters/wires/chassis beams)
  • A gapless body, using rather pannels than beams
  • Drift (on sand)

It contains 100% LEGO parts (excpet BuWizz) with a total of 1178 parts. I am very happy with the result. Here are some pictures

A1.png

A2.png

A3.jpg

A4.png

A5.png

A6.png

The Buwizz with easy acces...

A7.png

Clean interior...

A8.png

Openable glovebox...

A9.png

Rear suspension...

A10.png

Front suspension...

A11.png

The underside shows the chassis, wires and motors...

Annd finally a little video to demonstrate the fucntions and the oudoor performance.

Building instructions/partslist: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-14441/T-Lego/technic-rc-audi-rally-car-with-buwizz-20/#comments

Hope you like it, comments, criticism and questions are welcome!

Edited by T Lego

Hi @T Lego

Please resize your images, some of them are up to five times larger than maximum allowed size on EB.
Nice moc, btw :classic:

Welcome here!

This looks very-very adorable and smooth - meanwhile the RC motor suggests some serious performance. I hope for video presentation too! :wink:

The shape is A+, no questions - people will beg for instructions.

EDIT: I suggest to make better pics at daylight outside, so You will get chance for wider publicity, witch seems to be deserved.

Edited by agrof

8 hours ago, Milan said:

Hi @T Lego

Please resize your images, some of them are up to five times larger than maximum allowed size on EB.

I honestly don't see the problem. The photos fits nicely on a 1920x1080 monitor which every living individual on this planet should have as minimum at this stage in time.

Edit: I realized that I can click on the image which brings me to the host which shows me the original file size which is indeed, very much too big to fit on a screen. However, that doesn't matter as the forum software obviously downscales it anyway.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

4 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

The photos fits nicely on a 1920x1080 monitor which every living individual on this planet should have as minimum at this stage in time.

I have 12" notebook.

BTW, nice MOC.

How exactly is real drive made. How is made that part, where differeantial should be?

8 hours ago, Milan said:

Sorry, I will subsitute the images a soon as I have time to take some new ones.

30 minutes ago, agrof said:

EDIT: I suggest to make better pics at daylight outside, so You will get chance for wider publicity, witch seems to be deserved.

Thanks!, I'll certainly try that!

7 minutes ago, Jurss said:

How exactly is real drive made. How is made that part, where differeantial should be?

As you said, there is no differential beceause of space limitations, But I used this with two bevel gears inside.

1.png.b747b8c9532d93ed7f28bca4777f0ba4.png

10 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Nice car! The front suspension is great.

Not too much.

Axle pin has too much friction. Strange construction. How does it work?

But the whole hatchback is great!

26 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Not too much.

Axle pin has too much friction. Strange construction. How does it work?

Actually there is no friction at all. The Suspension, driving an steering works very smoothly.  It looks indeed a bit strange, beceause I had to make a steering system and suspension around the buwizz but

it works vey well.

I hope this image can anwser your quesetion about how it works:

https://bricksafe.com/files/T_Antonie/lego-technic-audi-rally-car/5.png

30 minutes ago, IA creations said:

gsia17 on youtube  has a the same suspention set-up, look it up.

The idea for the rear suspension is the same as his, but his had several problems (CV joints popping out of place), so I modified it so it could handle more power, had less friction and I reinforced it. The front suspension is my own disign.

Good looking build, definately has the look of the Audi Quattro. I look forward to the video :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

I honestly don't see the problem. The photos fits nicely on a 1920x1080 monitor which every living individual on this planet should have as minimum at this stage in time.

Edit: I realized that I can click on the image which brings me to the host which shows me the original file size which is indeed, very much too big to fit on a screen. However, that doesn't matter as the forum software obviously downscales it anyway.

Hi Carsten,
EB rules state that max image size should be 1024x768. It is not the problem whether the image fits to your monitor, but how big the image is. Not all of us have full speed net all the time. Forum software only visually shrinks it, but it still load the original oversized image.
Also, let's not discuss forum rules in this topic.

3 hours ago, T Lego said:

Sorry, I will subsitute the images a soon as I have time to take some new ones.

Hi T Lego, no need to take new ones, just resize them and post those. I will convert them to links now, as they are really too big. You can edit the post when you resize them. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Milan said:

i T Lego, no need to take new ones, just resize them and post those. I will convert them to links now, as they are really too big. You can edit the post when you resize them. Thanks.

I have made some new foto's and made them smaller, since many people asked for it. I believe they are now in the correct size. Let me now what you think! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, T Lego said:

I have made some new foto's and made them smaller, since many people asked for it. I believe they are now in the correct size. Let me now what you think! Thanks!

As long as they are under 1024x768, it is fine!
And yes, these new ones are much sharper, and nicer. Thanks.

You should be proud of yourself. This one looks like a real rally car and literally packed with features.

And, imho, it should look even better with a bit of color variety.

Very cool little car. I really like how you were able to keep it so compact while still have an interior. I hope we get to see a video of it ripping around :wink:

2 hours ago, Dalafik said:

imho, it should look even better with a bit of color variety

Yes you are right, but I haven't figuered out a proper colorscheme. 

Sugestions are apriciated!

51 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

I hope we get to see a video of it ripping around

I will definitely make a video, since many people asked for it. I only need to find the right spot to make it.

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

Not too much.

I meant being compact and smooth, friction is extreme angles, this is very little.

59 minutes ago, T Lego said:

Yes you are right, but I haven't figuered out a proper colorscheme. 

Sugestions are apriciated!

A yellow line along the bottom of the body, like in set 8880. And white seats.

Very nice MOC btw! I'm looking forward to seeing a video as well!

Edited by Didumos69

I was waiting for better photos before I said anything. This car is excellent! The front suspension uses an great solution in place of wheel hubs! :thumbup:

Some color, either as an accent like @Didumos69 mentioned, or even a two-tone body would help a lot, as some of the shaping details, and the interior, get lost in the solid black mass.

I am also looking forwards to a video!

I really like this car. I think the all-black color scheme works very well here. It adds a sense of pureness, seriousness. But it's good that the internals are gray, for contrast.

In the side view, it looks as if the roof is a tad too far backwards for me - I would personally make the hood slightly shorter I think. That would make it look more like a regular car. But this is just a feeling. Also, I think the spoiler is a bit large in comparison. But as your car is not replicating an existing car, you're basically free to shape as you like, and I think you did really well. Great panel usage. And the curved panels at the roof work really well here. Smart part usage for the 9L links on the windscreen. I also really like the front, with all the angles.

Too bad you needed unofficial part usage for the front suspension. My purism-oriented mind doesn't like that :)

I can't identify the part you used for the sides of the rear window. It looks like a pneumatic tube, but thicker. What is it?

10 hours ago, T Lego said:

Actually there is no friction at all. The Suspension, driving an steering works very smoothly.  It looks indeed a bit strange, beceause I had to make a steering system and suspension around the buwizz but

it works vey well.

I hope this image can anwser your quesetion about how it works:

https://bricksafe.com/files/T_Antonie/lego-technic-audi-rally-car/5.png

Oh, now it's clear! I used this photo: 

Before I saw it I was sure you use not axle, but dbg axle pin! Very original decicion!

640x568.jpg

Edited by Aleh

5 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:
I really like this car. I think the all-black color scheme works very well here. It adds a sense of pureness, seriousness. But it's good that the internals are gray, for contrast.

In the side view, it looks as if the roof is a tad too far backwards for me - I would personally make the hood slightly shorter I think. That would make it look more like a regular car. But this is just a feeling. Also, I think the spoiler is a bit large in comparison. But as your car is not replicating an existing car, you're basically free to shape as you like, and I think you did really well. Great panel usage. And the curved panels at the roof work really well here. Smart part usage for the 9L links on the windscreen. I also really like the front, with all the angles.

Too bad you needed unofficial part usage for the front suspension. My purism-oriented mind doesn't like that :)

I can't identify the part you used for the sides of the rear window. It looks like a pneumatic tube, but thicker. What is it?

Thanks for your feedback! The front suspension is 100% made out of lego, the spring is just from a normal lego shock absorber. 

You are right about the roof, it's a bit to far back. The Buggy motor sticks out a bit, so the curve of the roof panels had to cover it up, wich meant I couldn't place it more forwards. The idea to use 9L links for the windshield was actually coppied from @brunojj1 LaFerrari. The rear window bit is a very strange part (40378) wich lego uses to make weird creatures.

887d80032e699118ecf1a5addf06a530.jpg?1513014410.2514498

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

A yellow line along the bottom of the body, like in set 8880. And white seats.

Thanks for the idea! Yellow or white accents on the body would look very cool, but it's very hard to do, since I used so many panels. But I'll try to figure something out. An other idea is that I could keep the skirts, fenders and roof black and make the rest orange, since orange is the only color in wich the variety of soft axles and panels are available. Though that would mean I have to order a lot of parts, beceause I don't have a lot of orange in my collection.