snaillad

MOC: The lock and Quay

Hellow fellow EB members.

I've finally finished a MOC which has graced my desk for far too long now. The Lock and Quay - a pub and also a fishmongers both set upon a quay.

Theres not much interior detail as its quite a shallow build and its more of a token gesture to be able to see something through the windows from the exterior.

Anyway on with the pics, only 4 this time;

40825579685_78d87e5004_z.jpg

26856343207_7ba7aca069_z.jpg

40825560505_ca346f3ef6_z.jpg

41683772812_4ca935b414_z.jpg

Any comments/questions etc, always welcome!

Cheers!

Holy moly! @snaillad made a new MOC!! What should I say? What can I say?! Awe-inspiring MOC as always!! I adore the atmosphere!! There's nothing I adore especially as I adore everything!! Your techniques always rock!! I don't know what else I should say!! You'd never decieve your huge admirers!! Incredible job!! :wub_drool: Keep up your wonderful work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

16 hours ago, snaillad said:

Any comments/questions etc, always welcome!

That's really kind! I wonder what are the black pieces looking like arches used on the ground floor of the pub below the reddish brown arches? Thanks so much! :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan

This looks really good! :classic: Lovely facade-shaping and colour combinations. Neat and tasteful like a painting. The cobblestones are a lovely detail too with nice natural bumpiness.:thumbup: The fishmonger wants some more colour though. Maybe light blue for the interior?

I assume this is the pub you mentioned in your comment about my MOC earlier this week. It looks brilliant. :classic:

It's full of atmosphere and reminds me very much of the seaside pubs you find in Devon, Cornwall and places like that. I like the colours you've used and the cobbled pathways. You mention that there isn't much interior detail but the interior looks like it's full of nice little details to me.

A really nice building!

You're a master. There's just enough detial to feel complete, but not too much to feel overcrowded. I've always admired the humbleness in your builds. Whilst many show off techniques, you always seem to play it the other way round. Simplicity to achieve an outstanding result; on the awning, for instance. In terms of colour scheme, the white, sand blue and tan building is superb. Such a muted palette can sometimes result in a beautiful building, again, humbleness.

20 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

That's really kind! I wonder what are the black pieces looking like arches used on the ground floor of the pub below the reddish brown arches? Thanks so much! :classic:

Almost certain its two of this one, sideways.

Great MOC!

PD: I find cobble pathways to look surprisingly wonderful when built using the 1x2 ingot pieces!

On 4/26/2018 at 11:36 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Holy moly! @snaillad made a new MOC!! What should I say? What can I say?! Awe-inspiring MOC as always!! I adore the atmosphere!! There's nothing I adore especially as I adore everything!! Your techniques always rock!! I don't know what else I should say!! You'd never decieve your huge admirers!! Incredible job!! :wub_drool: Keep up your wonderful work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you very much, glad you like it!

Yes those are 1x4x6 arches used sideways. I used a similar technique here:

32769009102_7cc20787b9_z.jpg

On 4/27/2018 at 1:39 AM, Littleworlds said:

This looks really good! :classic: Lovely facade-shaping and colour combinations. Neat and tasteful like a painting. The cobblestones are a lovely detail too with nice natural bumpiness.:thumbup: The fishmonger wants some more colour though. Maybe light blue for the interior?

Thanks littleworlds!

The fishmongers is probably a bit too sterile and would benefit form colour, although of all the source material I could find most interiors were white.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:16 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I assume this is the pub you mentioned in your comment about my MOC earlier this week. It looks brilliant. :classic:

It's full of atmosphere and reminds me very much of the seaside pubs you find in Devon, Cornwall and places like that. I like the colours you've used and the cobbled pathways. You mention that there isn't much interior detail but the interior looks like it's full of nice little details to me.

A really nice building!

Cheers Bricked!

I specifically looked at Cornwall and Devon on google image search so good spot! I have got pubs on a fish Quay local to me which is why I decided on making a fishmongers to go next door.

17 hours ago, paupadros said:

You're a master. There's just enough detial to feel complete, but not too much to feel overcrowded. I've always admired the humbleness in your builds. Whilst many show off techniques, you always seem to play it the other way round. Simplicity to achieve an outstanding result; on the awning, for instance. In terms of colour scheme, the white, sand blue and tan building is superb. Such a muted palette can sometimes result in a beautiful building, again, humbleness.

Almost certain its two of this one, sideways.

Great MOC!

PD: I find cobble pathways to look surprisingly wonderful when built using the 1x2 ingot pieces!

Thank you Paupadros. I do experiment a great deal with colour to find appropriate combinations, I'm glad you've spotted the smaller details!

Great color choice as always with just the right amount of detail. The technique with the arches is so simple, but yet ingenious.

Love this!

- it has a old - classic - italian ( venice ) feel to it

Great Great Work!

Greetings!

On 4/28/2018 at 4:38 PM, peedeejay said:

Great color choice as always with just the right amount of detail. The technique with the arches is so simple, but yet ingenious.

Thanks Peedeejay! I spend too long testing out colours! :D

On 4/29/2018 at 2:45 PM, carebear said:

Love this!

- it has a old - classic - italian ( venice ) feel to it

Great Great Work!

Greetings!

Cheers carebear, it'd be great to go for real and get some on site inspiration!

On 5/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow what a stunning MOC!

I really like the "logo" with the gold keys and mini-minifig.

The sea is the icing on the cake! :wub:

On 5/1/2018 at 12:14 PM, RogerSmith said:

Nice work as usual!

Thanks guys, appreciated!