Kozikyo86

[MOC] First Order Elite TIE Interceptor

Hi!

I want to show you my new project! First Order Elite TIE Interceptor!

Design is based on concept arts and contains 1066 bricks!  The main part donor is FO TIE Fighter 75101, soon I'll prepare list of parts.

I will build this after doing the instructions for my AT-M6 ... :)

FO Elite TIE InterceptorFO Elite TIE Interceptor

More on my YouTube!

Man this looks awesome, amazing job. I checked out your Flickr page, and I’m loving the FO AT-ST you made too

Wings are quite nice. I like the idea for the cockpit shape but it would be improved a lot if it was a bit smoother.

I on the other hand do not understand the benefit of having the panels angled outwards. The ship presents bigger target and would be less manouverable than a standard variant.

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Man this looks awesome, amazing job. I checked out your Flickr page, and I’m loving the FO AT-ST you made too

Thanks! You can also check free instruction to this AT-ST on my YouTube :)

2 hours ago, atlas said:

Wings are quite nice. I like the idea for the cockpit shape but it would be improved a lot if it was a bit smoother.

I tried to make a version like sets, I'm not a fan of the current trend with 3x3x3 round corner brick... :) and wing with snot technique, it's already has a lot bricks.

13 minutes ago, Jerac said:

I on the other hand do not understand the benefit of having the panels angled outwards. The ship presents bigger target and would be less manouverable than a standard variant.

look at Tie Hunter or X-wing ... :) 

X-wing has wings. Lifting surfaces. It also benefits from having guns far from the ship's core for some reason.

Tie Hunter is another product of "hey, let's take some TIE parts and randomly mix them" so I consider it just as wrong.

Keep in mind I am not talking about quality of build - which is fine - just practical aspect. But then, practical aspects for fictional spaceships... not very important :D

1 hour ago, Jerac said:

X-wing has wings. Lifting surfaces. It also benefits from having guns far from the ship's core for some reason.

Tie Hunter is another product of "hey, let's take some TIE parts and randomly mix them" so I consider it just as wrong.

Keep in mind I am not talking about quality of build - which is fine - just practical aspect. But then, practical aspects for fictional spaceships... not very important :D

Yes, I know :) it's Star Wars and sometimes a lot of things don't make sense but still looks great :)

17 hours ago, Jerac said:

Because it looks cooler, that’s it.

People like to harp on about aerodynamics and design choices in Star Wars, but in reality none of the fighters could fly in atmosphere.

The TIE Fighter is a ball with vertical aerodynamic surfaces.

The TIE Interceptor is a ball with diagonal aerodynamic surfaces that wouldn’t produce any meaningful amount of lift.

The X-Wing couldn’t fly because its wings are too far back and so it’s ridiculously unstable. The wings also don’t have an aerofoil shape that can produce lift.

The Snowspeeder is a brick.

The Y-Wing is a brick.

The U-Wing is a chined brick.

The only starfighter that maybe could fly, emphasis on maybe, is the A-Wing, which looks like an aerodynamic lifting body. But even then it would need to fly really fast to generate significant lift.

The ships in Star Wars behave like aircraft with flight computers hooked up to impulse drives that push and rotate the aircraft so that it feels like flying a plane.

When designing a starfighter, you base its flying characteristics on what role it needs to fullfil, and then you design a shape that looks cool when it performs that role. That’s pretty much it.

I’m 90% sure what @Kozikyo86 did was he sat down and looked at a TIE Interceptor and Silencer and said “yeah but what if they pointed outwards” :tongue:

Edited by Bartybum

@Bartybum exactly in the point :) by the way, an interesting description. The Walkers are also make no sense, from behind they are totally helpless, but looks awesome! :)

2 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

@Bartybum exactly in the point :) by the way, an interesting description. The Walkers are also make no sense, from behind they are totally helpless, but looks awesome! :)

Exactly! From a design perspective walkers are stupidly over complicated and not practical, but we accept them because they’re awesome as hell.

This is super fun to look at.  Ima make a microfighter out of it now. ;)

What part number is that canopy?  I can't find anything on BL that's trans-red.

Hi!

The first order from Bricklink is with me! :) The project has undergone several changes, currently it has 1047 parts. 

I will probably use 2 minifigures here - FO Pilot from set 75179 with red stripes on helmet and... BB-9E! 

Next orders are ready, I'm waiting for delivery. It needs only six parts :laugh:

First Bricklink order to my Elite TIE Interceptor!:)

XML List of parts:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KSkTpnR0GzAu9k3SFX3V0k67RJXwUQ7H

Edited by Kozikyo86