Bublehead

Sorry for opening old wounds- You can disregard.

Ok, what is everyone's take on non-Lego items used in a model?

A) Never

B) Only if it would be something TLG would possibly do for a specific set/model

C) Ok, as long as it was cool

D) I mix my Megablox and Lego together

Well, for round 6,000 on this topic, I'll just give my super-succinct opinion:

I'm OK with SBrick and other custom controllers that just interface with the rest of the official Lego and very simple custom stuff like different lengths of flextube, but don't care for custom/non-Lego parts beyond that.  Go for it if you want to, but I just consider it building with some Lego Technic, rather than Lego Technic building.  :wink:

1 hour ago, LithuanianTF said:

Like almost everyone uses Sbricks, buwizzes and stuff its normal nowadays

Sorry for opening old wounds, I'm looking for a specific answer to a specific question as I ask below. You can ignore this thread otherwise.

Ok, but do people accept the Sbricks and Buwizzes because they are the solution to an unanswered need? Would they be as accepting of a 3D printed non-Lego element? And I know that people are using third party tires and 3D printed rims, but what about accessories, like miniature support items for a specific profession or trade? Or printed plastic sheets similar to the sails on the technic Racing Yacht?

I am trying to determine how people will respond to my next MOC if I use non-Lego pieces in the playset that simulate a "new" element that Lego would mold just for this specific set. A lot hinges on the decision due to the functionality and ease of use of a single molded piece which could be made dimensionally specific, or having to build something up from existing bricks which will be harder (if not near impossible) to work with due to significant differences in their size/shape/construction. For arguments sake, do I use a 3D printed single element that would be the combination of 2 individual bricks, or use the two existing bricks stuck together? The single element would be a combination of a 2x2 round brick with a 2x2 plate but allow the center of the round brick to be hollow all the way through the plate.

BH

Edited by Bublehead

12 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

trying to determine how people will respond to my next MOC if I use non-Lego pieces in the playset that simulate a "new" element that Lego would mold just for this specific set.

You seem to be a man of many words and few MOCs.

I'd say build whatever you think is okay regardless of what we might think of it. Post your progress in a WIP topic or post the final result in a MOC topic and you'll get feedback. Or keep it all for yourself if you don't want to know.

Edited by Didumos69

4 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

You seem to be a man of many words and few MOCs.

No, I am a man with many words and one MOC. One that took 8 months to design and build. Don't discount others words based on their deeds. Please play nice. You cant blame me for being overly cautious.

Edited by Bublehead

50 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

I am trying to determine how people will respond to my next MOC if I use non-Lego pieces in the playset that simulate a "new" element that Lego would mold just for this specific set.

You sound like you’re building because you want positive reactions from people, not because you enjoy it. That shouldn’t be the case.

As for custom parts, check out efferman’s stuff. He 3D prints a lot of custom pieces and people love him.

People here tend to like custom pieces especially when they’re neatly designed, so I see no harm in making them

Edited by Bartybum

Thanks for the clarification - you asked 1 question, but still with a lot of different scenarios.  Personally, I don't mind custom minifig accessories since that really just adds to the aesthetic appeal and Lego puts out new accessories all the time (like you said, would be no surprise to get one for a single set these days), but when it comes to structural/brick elements I don't like to see that as much.  I enjoy seeing clever solutions within the confines of the elements available, and if instead of searching for that clever solution folks just make a custom piece (often with limited utility outside of that one function), why not just 3D print the whole thing and skip Lego altogether.

But, again, that's personal opinion, and it's not like I get upset with someone doing that... I'm just less impressed with that part of the build and it is what it is.  Doesn't personally affect me, so who cares?

1 hour ago, Bublehead said:

I am trying to determine how people will respond to my next MOC

Since this is apparently in relation to your own MOC, all I can say is just post it.  Let people take a look and give their opinions if you want them.  Folks post WIP topics all the time and get great feedback.  If you're 99.9% done and just wondering about this one bit, put it out there and ask the question.  Maybe someone has a clever solution using genuine Lego that hadn't occurred to you.  Maybe people will laud the genuine need for that specialized component.  You won't know until you put it out there, and I (personally) don't think it's worth spending time agonizing over it when it's a catch-22 at this point (post it so we see what you mean and can give meaningful feedback, or never post it because you want the feedback first that you can't get without it being seen).

As Bartybum said, though- just enjoy the building, regardless!  :classic:

7 hours ago, Bublehead said:

No, I am a man with many words and one MOC. One that took 8 months to design and build. Don't discount others words based on their deeds. Please play nice. You cant blame me for being overly cautious.

Okay, maybe I was a bit rude with first remark. But the point that I wanted to make is that it will bring you more when you let your builds, whether in progress or not, do the talking. I think quite a few people have pointed that out by now.

Hi, i have some none lego tyres that fit lego rims - there 120mm rock crawler tyres - and also some 130mm tractor tread none lego tyres and rims (rims modified to work). My reason is i love building tractors, but even the claas tyres mean your at about 1:20 scale... i like big moc's and like to get lots of functions in.. easier when you're at 1:10 in car. the 130mm tyres not only look great but mean the scale is 1:16 which is much better and i can use the claas wheels as the fronts.

If i could find some 200mm tyres i would use them! (though the axles would need to be upgraded to the metal ones, they probably do with the 130mm tyres in fairness)

So i'm cool with it.. wheels are the limiting factor for some mocs so 3rd part solutions are great.

ps.. i must get round to posting the current moc before i dismantle it to start the next!

11 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Oh dear, not this topic.  Please god, not this topic.  Quite literally been discussed like a billion times before.  

:laugh: just skip it, do not give yourself headaches about something that will never end up with compromise 

BTW God should be with capital "G"

Edited by I_Igor

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Pls not here lmao.

just small suggestion