Started a new car with alot of inspirations from different builders. Its almost like a hodgepodge of different design elements that i liked merged together. As you can see it includes Didumos69 W16 that he made. I liked it so much i thought why not put it in. So i tried to build around that. There's no gear box as i'm using PF functions with a sbrick in there. Other than opening hood and doors, i'm trying to put in rear wheel steering. Don't think they way i'm putting it in is the best way but the only way i thought of.

There is a physical build to see how everything fits together.  Btw the Red beams were place holders until i figure out how the front fenders attach to the body. Any input is greatly appreciated.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

This looks great!

Are the XL motors hard coupled or is there a differential in there?

30 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Styling wise, it has a bit in common with crowkillers new car.

It is a bit bigger?

Also maybe put some tires on, it looks a bit "empty" without

Yeah it has some design elements that I really liked. The side and front bumper spoiler, parts of the bumper and the roof are referenced from it to give me an idea.  I'm probably going to redo some sections as it doesn't work well with how i have the fenders set. other than that alot of paneling was pulled from how i made my porsche.

The door hinge mechanism is from his outlaw car. 

Its only a little bigger than the crowkillers car i believe. It does have tires but the app i used to render doesn't have the tires fit properly. 

I'm liking those side sills.

The rear is a little choppy, particularly the diffuser, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

1 hour ago, SpaceJoey86 said:

This looks great!

Are the XL motors hard coupled or is there a differential in there?

no differential in there

Hi,
Your mok looks good, and your solutions look interesting. What do you plan to use the seats, or will the 42056 version remain in the final?
Concerning the connection, it catches my eye - the roof is too narrow.

23 minutes ago, Jaromir said:

Woow it is amazing. I think my favourite MOC so far :)

Even though it isn't even finished or physically built?

Edited by Meatman

8 hours ago, Meatman said:

Styling wise, it has a bit in common with crowkillers new car.

Well it is the same color and has four wheels, to me the panel shaping is quite different though and it looks to be bigger. Looking good so far, glad to see you giving props to those that gave inspiration as well. 

I like the styling so far.  Have you considered removing the two orange insider fenders at the back of the car because I think it will create some very aggressive angles at the back vs. how the back of your car is currently constructed.  I think repeating the style of your front fenders at the back may give it a more unified look.  Have fun with this. 

13 hours ago, Meatman said:

Even though it isn't even finished or physically built?

Well, I love the body line of it, I know it is unfinished but fell in love immediately, hopefully we will get instruction :P

Did put a physical build together to see how things fit together.The hood needs to change as it sits too high. Figured out a way to have the front fenders connect but they are very weak.

Also i seem to have the issue with the front end constantly sitting on the ground when i test out the springs. This time i'm using 2 springs on each wheel yet its just not stiff enough. I don't have the issue with the rear suspension soooooo going to need to figure that out.

800x524.jpg

There rear end in the render was from a previous build that i gave up on. thought it would fit but it needs alot of work

Really beautiful so far, I like where this is headed. :thumbup: Great shaping, especially considering there aren't any flex axles.

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Looks awesome, but after seeing it built I feel the nose might be a bit too long. Can we get a side shot?

Edited by Bartybum

23 hours ago, Isamudyson said:

Also i seem to have the issue with the front end constantly sitting on the ground when i test out the springs. This time i'm using 2 springs on each wheel yet its just not stiff enough. I don't have the issue with the rear suspension soooooo going to need to figure that out.

Do you have a photo or two of the front suspension? The number and type of springs isn't everything, the actual geometry matters too. My base rule-of-thumb is, the larger the suspension travel, the lower the weight a given spring can support, and the ratio of those is approximately the same. So, if the geometry is changed to halve the suspension travel, then one spring could carry double the weight it does now. It's not an exact rule, a lot depends on the angles of the spring and attachment points and how they change over the range of movement, but it's a workable simple rule. Personally for supercars I try to keep the travel low (only around 1 stud), for various reasons:

• I can support more weight per spring
  • I can do with smaller wheel arches
  • The front of the car doesn't touch the ground so easily

Your rear suspension seems to have 2.5 stud travel, which is quite a lot. Suspensions in actual sets usually have quite long range too (for my taste). I don't know about the Porsche (which, given the use of panels on your car, you probably own) but 8070 was also about 2 studs I believe. (42039 front suspension had quite short travel.)

The panel usage seems quite agressive! Nice! But it looks like the car is pretty wide. But that may be me though. I thought 27 or 29 studs was about good for these wheels, but I could be wrong.

19 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Do you have a photo or two of the front suspension? The number and type of springs isn't everything, the actual geometry matters too. My base rule-of-thumb is, the larger the suspension travel, the lower the weight a given spring can support, and the ratio of those is approximately the same. So, if the geometry is changed to halve the suspension travel, then one spring could carry double the weight it does now. It's not an exact rule, a lot depends on the angles of the spring and attachment points and how they change over the range of movement, but it's a workable simple rule. Personally for supercars I try to keep the travel low (only around 1 stud), for various reasons:

• I can support more weight per spring
  • I can do with smaller wheel arches
  • The front of the car doesn't touch the ground so easily

Your rear suspension seems to have 2.5 stud travel, which is quite a lot. Suspensions in actual sets usually have quite long range too (for my taste). I don't know about the Porsche (which, given the use of panels on your car, you probably own) but 8070 was also about 2 studs I believe. (42039 front suspension had quite short travel.)

The panel usage seems quite agressive! Nice! But it looks like the car is pretty wide. But that may be me though. I thought 27 or 29 studs was about good for these wheels, but I could be wrong.

I'm still learning about all these ratios etc. The travel on the front is about 1 stud. The rear some how sits 1 stud higher. Its just when I push down the front it doesn't like to come back up, so it looks like the suspension isn't effective.

800x365.jpg

The width is definitely wide. Its similar in wide to the porsche 918 i did but don't know if it works this time around. still learning how to make things compact so hopefully i can one day make things smaller. i don't have much flex cables so still no experience using those properly.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, Bartybum said:

Looks awesome, but after seeing it built I feel the nose might be a bit too long. Can we get a side shot?

800x600.jpg

Hmm, the nose looks a good length. I’m digging the body shaping. However, the rear window has something that the 42056 Porsche had that I wasn’t really a fan of, which was the straight beams. I think they’d look better if they were bent flex axles, that way you can have a nice curve towards the back. Also, I can’t help but feel the roof is about two studs too high. Other than that, great work! :grin:

Edited by Bartybum

Very interesting build!

To harden the front suspension you could use a setup that squeezes the springs from two sides, just like in 42056, but with 2 shocks. I see two options, one based on your setup (left) and one that I used in my rugged supercar (right). The left one gives slightly less ground clearance (max suspension arm angle of 10 degrees) compared to the right one (max angle of 13 degrees). With the Porsche wheels the right option gave me two studs ground clearance, which is quite a lot, so I suppose for a rear wheel drive supercar the left option would give enough ground clearance. Also, the left option should be slightly more rigid.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Very interesting build!

To harden the front suspension you could use a setup that squeezes the springs from two sides, just like in 42056, but with 2 shocks. I see two options, one based on your setup (left) and one that I used in my rugged supercar (right). The left one gives slightly less ground clearance (max suspension arm angle of 10 degrees) compared to the right one (max angle of 13 degrees). With the Porsche wheels the right option gave me two studs ground clearance, which is quite a lot, so I suppose for a rear wheel drive supercar the left option would give enough ground clearance. Also, the left option should be slightly more rigid.

How i did not try an think of that method is baffling. I will definitely try both options.

Was able to do some body work this weekend. Redid the hood and front bumper. Also redid some connections on the sides. Started to play around with how the rear. Need to order some parts so i can get the w16 squared away.800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Those orange panels at the rear should be one stud lower and flipped upside down I reckon. By doing that you’ll leave a horizontal notch sticking out at the back that you can put rear lights on.

22 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Those orange panels at the rear should be one stud lower and flipped upside down I reckon. By doing that you’ll leave a horizontal notch sticking out at the back that you can put rear lights on.

Tried it out and looks better. will have to try it out during the physical build

800x600.jpg