Ecclesiastes

10261 LEGO Creator Expert Roller Coaster

3 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

As @Fuppylodders already said, most of this boils down to personal taste. Red is a very common color for roller coaster track, so I don't see anything wrong with this choice. I use the classic bright red very sparsely myself because it's so intense, but in this case, it works for me.

As for more decoration, here I'm on your side. Nowadays, even some fairgound coasters have attempts at theming, and some lights really would have helped, as those have been around or ages.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with a red and white scheme. If only the existing sets matched though. The ferris wheel should be quite straightforward to convert to red and white but the carousel would be quite a challenge to change. Not impossible though, I think I may well change the rest of my fairground at some point.

What are everyone's thoughts on the probable availability of this set? Think it will be like the Millennium Falcon UCS that sells out the same day and is only available on and off for months?

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the probable availability of this set? Think it will be like the Millennium Falcon UCS that sells out the same day and is only available on and off for months?

Doubt so. 75192 is a pretty special set - being the largest set ever made, the most iconic Star Wars vehicle and the pinnacle of any LEGO collection.

The price of the rollercoaster might put off a few buyers for a bit. Then again, the sales of 75192 have proven how deep some AFOL's pockets are.

Awesome! I look forward to watching Jangs review of this when he uploads it.  For me this is a day one purchase, I know its pricey, but this set just looks so epic.  I can understand the high price, a lot of new molded parts, high piece count, and since its a brand new set I suspect a lot more R&D went into it.

Yes he has uploaded the time lapse, but I'm more interested in his review of the set, which usually he uploads a day or two after the time-lapse.

2 hours ago, Artanis I said:

He has already uploaded a time-lapse video of the build!

You mean the one that was posted literally two posts above your post...?

2 hours ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

any idea on how to move this set around? seems very fragile when it comes to moving

We will get that answer when we get to see or read a review. JANGbricks is probably making a review right now. With some chance we can expect a review this week. 

Jang just posted the review/comparison/how it works. 

530 2x2 round white bricks :tongue: but no axles in them. Makes everything not so sturdy as I thought it would be.. 

Edited by Kevii23

Oh, good Heaven. Seeing it next to the Death Star, Ninjago City and Detective's Office... It's a freakin' beast.

Day 1 purchase. Definitively. 

I'm surprised about the lack of axles inside the 2x2 round bricks. 

4 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Oh, good Heaven. Seeing it next to the Death Star, Ninjago City and Detective's Office... It's a freakin' beast.

Day 1 purchase. Definitively. 

I'm surprised about the lack of axles inside the 2x2 round bricks. 

Seeing it next to Detective's Office really puts it in perspective. I want to get double VIP points on it but I'm not convinced it'll be available in July, and it's not even guaranteed that they'll have double VIP in July again.

My god, the DO looks tiny.  If and when I can get enough cash together, it’ll dwarf everything in my collection but GBHQ.

14 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

You mean the one that was posted literally two posts above your post...?

Ha. That is what happens when there is a new post hours after you've read the thread, you click on the button to go straight to the first unread post and don't see the previous one the second time...:facepalm:

15 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

530 2x2 round white bricks :tongue: but no axles in them. Makes everything not so sturdy as I thought it would be.. 

Did I get something wrong? Jang said mostly there are axles inside. :look:

27 minutes ago, Holodoc said:

Did I get something wrong? Jang said mostly there are axles inside. :look:

You're not wrong. He indeed said that. 

Ah didn't hear that. Makes more sense anyway, but it doesn't look as stable as I thought it would be. 

42 minutes ago, Kevii23 said:

Ah didn't hear that. Makes more sense anyway, but it doesn't look as stable as I thought it would be. 

I think for a set like this, you find a place to put it, and leave it there.  Wouldn't be good to constantly move this beast around, I'm sure it is as stable as the Lego designers could make it, without impacting the look or functionality of it.

1 hour ago, chris592 said:

I think for a set like this, you find a place to put it, and leave it there.  Wouldn't be good to constantly move this beast around, I'm sure it is as stable as the Lego designers could make it, without impacting the look or functionality of it.

I agree, this would be way too flimsy to move.  One of the first things I’ll have to do if I get it, is to find a way of strengthening the base, perhaps with a few layers of regular bricks in some sort of grid beneath the plates.  

Part of me is surprised that they didn’t build the frame out of technic beams using pins and other technic lifting arms. Another part of me also wonders if they thought about making it look more like the traditional US wooden style coasters, and if cost became prohibitive.

Edited by jus1973

2 hours ago, chris592 said:

55 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I agree, this would be way too flimsy to move.  One of the first things I’ll have to do if I get it, is to find a way of strengthening the base, perhaps with a few layers of regular bricks in some sort of grid beneath the plates. 

In the video Jang shows there is a separation point designed into the set to split the set into two halves so it can be moved more easily. 9:30-10:23.

Wow Jangs video makes the coaster look seriously epic. I knew it was big but didn't comprehend it being as huge as it is. Showing it next to other models really puts it in to perspective.

I'm a bit disappointed to see how unstable it is though. Jang shows how easy it is for the round bricks making up the columns to come apart and moving the thing around would be a bit of a nightmare. Thank goodness they added the ability to separate the structure in to 2 sections so it can be moved.

I suppose this is unavoidable for such a massive skeletal structure made from lego bricks though. Apart from this I  think it looks incredible though.

How the heck has Jang got a copy of this so early?

3 hours ago, Blk69 said:

So after watching a review on this set, looks cool.  Main down side I see is looks impossible to reassemble into any alternate track layouts without additional parts.  Guess expert sets are for display only?

I honestly see plenty of possible alternative track layouts. :classic: