47 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

I went and looked at the "document" on legal v.s. Illegal and I must say, yes that is a nice guideline of what a billion dollar toy company would follow as a corporate mantra.  Does it apply to MOCs? Nope. It only applies to official TLG offerings. Now is it a mantra I follow when building my MOCs? Absolutely. Did I violate any of those rules for my Twirl and Hurl? Not for any function, only for form. There are two places on my MOC that use non-clicking pins in holes and both were done to create a certain look, not create any working function. I will leave it to the legality police to find them. There are two uses of a piece that required a little "help" getting them in place and there is a perfectly legal solution that requires no "help", but I went with the illegal use due to being symmetrical and I know I can use the legal method without any compromise in functionality if I am arrested by the Legality Police. (Rolls eyes).  

My general take on legal v.s. Illegal parts use is this- for functionality, no violations. For look and feel, all bets are off depending on the outcome. Does it make it look more real, or more cool, then Ok. If it stresses a part till it is damaged, that is not cool. Not okay but acceptable if it is simply a pin left in compression because pins are a consumable in my mind when used this way.

But that presentation was mostly a system is not 100% compatible with Technic guideline for people who want to use Technic parts in system builds and vice versa. It does reveal the thinking of what TLG feels are building standards to be followed by their designers, but those rules apply only to employees of TLG, not to us AFOLs making MOCs.  

I try and follow the rules and do when creating a working function, but I don't let the Legality Police control my builds.

I think the point meatman was trying to make wasn't that people should follow Lego's rules when they build, it was that people really shouldn't compare models that don't follow rules to ones that do... More often than not it is probably because they really don't know or see the differences...  I've read the same thing posted about me over years, especially on Youtube.. Someone will build a new motorized car model with a bunch of fragile functions, and there is usually a comment that says Better than anything crowkillers or Lego could ever do! and when I look at the model's construction, I say well, they are kind of right, it is definitely something that I would never do...

@grum64, thank you for the support. And I will keep MOCing, and I will keep posting my MOCs here and I will take the criticism people deal out in stride and make changes as I see fit.  What I'm never going to do is use the words "game changing" ever again when describing my MOC in my titles, and I am not going to toot my horn about any aspect of the build. I am going to present the features, the inspirations, the mindset and let the wolves devour  the poor corps of my creation.  With "passion" ;-)

Very interesting discussion here in this topic and fortunately you quickly learned how the forum works in a short period of time, then on entering with your Game Change.:wink:

Because we are dealing here with EB with a lot of different builders, collectors, moccers and people who all build on their own level, you got given a lot of unanswered reactions, from very short, to long and constructive criticism. I use the LEGO stone as a medium to do model building and do not see the product as a toy, I have been outgrown a very long time ago for that.

What gives me a pleasure to post here, that you friends makes me still better and helps a lot of you to make you better.

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

20 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

I think the point meatman was trying to make wasn't that people should follow Lego's rules when they build, it was that people really shouldn't compare models that don't follow rules to ones that do... More often than not it is probably because they really don't know or see the differences...  I've read the same thing posted about me over years, especially on Youtube.. Someone will build a new motorized car model with a bunch of fragile functions, and there is usually a comment that says Better than anything crowkillers or Lego could ever do! and when I look at the model's construction, I say well, they are kind of right, it is definitely something that I would never do...

@Paul Boratko, that gave me good laugh.  There are a LOT of things I wouldn't do either... there are things TLG does that I wouldn't do. But the one thing they do do is create a new part to solve a specific engineering challenge and that just seems like cheating but when you are Lego, you write the rules.

3 hours ago, Bublehead said:

@grum64, thank you for the support. And I will keep MOCing, and I will keep posting my MOCs here and I will take the criticism people deal out in stride and make changes as I see fit.  What I'm never going to do is use the words "game changing" ever again when describing my MOC in my titles, and I am not going to toot my horn about any aspect of the build.

I have a good feeling that, with the above mindset you will get lots of positive comments. Trust me.

I think considering this is a world wide forum covering all aspects of Lego, with many members speaking many languages it works very well. Not everyone has the same goals with their builds, in fact the diversity is mind boggling. Responses to various MOCs can vary considerably because of this. 

Something else to consider is presentation of a MOC or title of a post even warrants different types of responses." Here's a orange sports car I made" is definitely going to get different advice or criticism than "here's a 1/18 scale Porsche 911 GT3 RS I made". Sounds obvious but that's one of the reasons I don't like when people change topic titles, it invites a different level of criticism. 

The fact that we can have these sort of discussions, without a moderator jumping in threatening to ban people is a testament to how respectful people here are of others opinions. 

I know I for one greatly appreciate all the varied attitudes and mindsets, it's what makes this a great place to learn and teach. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Spelling

In the past, I have presented models when finished, and they got a few views and a couple replies... Now I have posted a WIP topic for my Ariel Nomad, and I quite like the difference. People tell me what they think would improve it, not just praise or negativity. THE CHOICE TO READ OR IGNORE IS YOURS!!! I don't have to "take offense" at a negative comment, or brag and lap up praise (deserved or not). I don't have to make the advised changes if I don't want to, because it is my MOC to build and enjoy!

Another thing to mention here about praise, would be to acknowledge it when it is given! A simple "Thanks @example!" is fine.

Concerning negative comments... Politely address what was said, or clarify the matter as needed.

Either way things fall, EuroBricks is by far the best Lego forum! Such a scale of opinions, ideas, thoughts is awesome to be a part of!

8 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

In the past, I have presented models when finished, and they got a few views and a couple replies... Now I have posted a WIP topic for my Ariel Nomad, and I quite like the difference. People tell me what they think would improve it, not just praise or negativity. THE CHOICE TO READ OR IGNORE IS YOURS!!! I don't have to "take offense" at a negative comment, or brag and lap up praise (deserved or not). I don't have to make the advised changes if I don't want to, because it is my MOC to build and enjoy!

Another thing to mention here about praise, would be to acknowledge it when it is given! A simple "Thanks @example!" is fine.

Concerning negative comments... Politely address what was said, or clarify the matter as needed.

Either way things fall, EuroBricks is by far the best Lego forum! Such a scale of opinions, ideas, thoughts is awesome to be a part of!

@Leonardo da Bricki I entirely agree with your comments, I find this forum to be very friendly & helpful when you run into problems when building a new MOC.

I to find WIP topics very useful rather than posting the final MOC.

My latest MOC would not have ended up in its final form without the constructive comments, suggestions, and also LDD instructions for a critical item I was having trouble trying to find a way to make it work as required.

Queries about why you have done something also welcome as they give you the opportunity to explain why or change the build.

There is a vast source of Lego Technic & GBC building skills on this forum which are freely passed on to help other forum members with problems & advice.

Regarding use Non Lego parts:
I try to stay Lego legal as much as possible but when building large MOCS sometimes the use of 3D printed parts results in a functioning MOC rather than one prone to problems or are unreliable.

3D printed Turntables and  worm gear boxes  solved many problems during my previous MOCs

Its your choice if you use them or not for MOCs etc. BUT for any Lego Technic contests then ONLY Lego parts are allowed.

Happy building to all Forum members.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

On 4/25/2018 at 6:47 AM, Paul Boratko said:

I think all mocs need an evenly based amount of criticism and praise, because no one is building anything perfect... This way you have enough motivation to continue building, while you also get experience to take into your future builds...That is one of the nice things about this forum compared to places like Facebook, where you have people actually offering criticism to help each other improve rather than just telling you how great you are... I got criticized for years here for not having a more interesting steering system in my models, so I finally took that criticism in and added something different(for me) in my newest model...

As far as people promoting themselves, I would say that if someone likes to create threads early and tease to build up hype, then the model that they finally deliver should live up to the hype they created..

Exactly, and you do not have to change your way of mocing if you do not like particular criticism, but usually criticism can make you better builder, give you information on eventual building trends, techniques, trust me whether we like it or not it changes our perspective and we find out things that would otherwise (probably) never cross our minds 

To be honest, i just set my expectations low so that if I only get one or two responses, I am not disappointed.

Some of my builds have taken me months and have gotten little to no response compared so some of my builds that were done in a day, but you know what?

That's fine :classic:

But bragging itself, 

I don't think bragging conveys anything about you other than your arrogance, let your model do the talking :)

I started in hispalug almost ten years ago and I remember some discussion with Fernando because my Skyline V12 was not realistic, now I laugh because now I would say the same to anyone, criticisms is good if it is well explained, Fernando is more known here as Sheepo :laugh: .

I've only ever posted one WIP topic and thought it was a great experience having people give their feed back on what to change and improve, it didn't feel like criticism, it felt more like people wanting to help because they were interested in what I was building.