Takanuinuva

A place to discuss bootlegs?

Just asking before I post. Is there a specific place to discuss lego knockoffs/bootlegs or does it still go in the set spot. Like bootleg ninjago sets going in the action forum. 

Competitor's sets can be discussed in the appropriate forum, but if you're actually talking about knock-off/bootleg sets that steal Lego's IP, that is not allowed.  See here:

I would love to see a subforum for the legit other brands.  Not bootlegs obviously - especially not lepin - but Gudi, Star Diamond, Enlighten, others.  They're either equal to Lego quality or getting close, they offer different and interesting parts, unique designs and themes, and so on and so forth.

They're not very common for the anglophone crowd.  Most of us use them to supplement lego collections.  Makes sense to me, to allow some discussion.  

I know it's not very likely. it's not legosssss, it pollutes my precioussss

legos

Just now, Space Police XVIII said:

I would love to see a subforum for the legit other brands. 

You can discuss it here in community. You can make reviews and comparisons. There are lots of reviews of other brands here in the Community forum.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, Space Police XVIII said:

I would love to see a subforum for the legit other brands.  Not bootlegs obviously - especially not lepin - but Gudi, Star Diamond, Enlighten, others.  They're either equal to Lego quality or getting close, they offer different and interesting parts, unique designs and themes, and so on and so forth.

I would also like such a discussion.  Enlighten has great builds, printing, and unique molds, but I’ve found their part quality to be pretty bad.  There are so many clone brands now that it is hard to tell which ones will be decent enough to be used in conjunction with lego.  How is the quality of Gudi and Star Diamond?  Where do you buy them, AliExpress?

7 hours ago, fastlindyrick said:

I would also like such a discussion.  Enlighten has great builds, printing, and unique molds, but I’ve found their part quality to be pretty bad.  There are so many clone brands now that it is hard to tell which ones will be decent enough to be used in conjunction with lego.  How is the quality of Gudi and Star Diamond?  Where do you buy them, AliExpress?

Yeah, Enlighten is strange.  Most of the parts are good enough, but every single set I've bought has 1 or 2 that are just crap.  It's annoying enough that I haven't bought any more. 

Gudi is almost Lego quality.  All my complaints are kind of obsessive-nitpicky, like, the parts tend toward very tight clutch and that leaves stress marks on the 1x5 antenna pieces.  Some really nice space designs, interesting parts like light bley airtanks, they're probably my favorite clone brand.  Available on Aliexpress.

Star Diamond I've only found on ebay.  Matches Lego quality. 

There's also Oxford.  I don't have any of these, yet, but supposedly it's the best clone out there.

Oxford is fab, I love the historic sets as they are embedded in the native culture, something we do not get.

I hope that TLG's inroads into China mean we may get such sets.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Darkdragon said:

You can discuss it here in community. You can make reviews and comparisons. There are lots of reviews of other brands here in the Community forum.

Do you know if there is a topic here discussing competitor brands' parts, particularly those which Lego does not have an equivalent for? I've tried searching under a few tags and appropriate wording, but discovered nothing, therefore presuming there isn't yet such a topic. :def_shrug:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Do you know if there is a topic here discussing competitor brands' parts, particularly those which Lego does not have an equivalent for? I've tried searching under a few tags and appropriate wording, but discovered nothing, therefore presuming there isn't yet such a topic. :def_shrug:

Not as far as I am aware, and I was Queen of the Clone brands...

I think one would be very interesting, as I still find myself MOCing and wishing that there was something in LEGO form that Kreo or Cobi have already provided.

2 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

I think one would be very interesting, as I still find myself MOCing and wishing that there was something in LEGO form that Kreo or Cobi have already provided.

Exactly, as it would be a multi-user way to catalog such parts, as I haven't found a Brickset/Bricklink-like site elsewhere which documents other brands part inventory.

On 5/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Space Police XVIII said:

Sounds nice.  I'll toss some photos in.

Hey, that's a start! Have any more competitor brand parts you think would be worth highlighting? :classic:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey, that's a start! Have any more competitor brand parts you think would be worth highlighting? :classic:

Quite a bit.  I'm redoing my sorting/storage this week so I'll be taking more pics. 

I guess I'll start a new thread to serve as a collection point, once I've got enough material.

Just now, Space Police XVIII said:

I guess I'll start a new thread to serve as a collection point, once I've got enough material.

If you got the bricks, then yeah, a topic would be awesome! Given enough potential contributions from other members, I think it could help give us an idea of what Lego's part inventory is missing! :wink: