I wanted to build a small rc version of a Jeep Mighty FC for a long time, and finally managed to do so:

201803%20006.jpg

My main goal was outdoor performance, so I've used a XL motor geared down 1:2.78 for propulsion. A servo motor was used for steering. With only 12 studs between the insides of the wheel hubs, I had to squeeze in portal axles for the front and rear.

201803%20004.jpg

Of course we also have suspension:

201803%20010.jpg

The belly-shot:

201803%20009.jpg

And the video(sorry for bad resolution):

The chassis can be separated from the bodywork and battery in about 10sec. Although it was only possible to build in yellow, I tried to include as much detail as possible and did my best to hide most of the interior.

I hope you like it. Feel free to leave your comments and criticism!

Nice, deceptively simple build, I still can't quite wrap my head around how that front axle works though. Good job. 

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Nice, deceptively simple build, I still can't quite wrap my head around how that front axle works though. Good job. 

It's a superposition of two corner transmissions: the first pair of bevel gears (#1 and #2, let's number them) transmits the rotation from the axle itself (gear #1) to a vertical shaft (with gear #2) that is a kingpin in the same time. It's a static part of the axle. And then, gears #2 and #3 transmits rotation from the kingpin to the wheel hub, which is a steerable part of the axle.

Cool, that part I think I understand, it just looks like to me from the differential stand point, one wheel would rotate opposite from the other. There's something I just don't seem to be getting, guess I should just build my own POC, might prove useful.

18 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

one wheel would rotate opposite from the other. 

No, the grey 20t beval gear is the one with the round centre hole and is only there to help to prevent slipping.

22 hours ago, sirslayer said:

you need a longer video to show durability 

I will make one as soon as we have good weather again here in South Africa!

Thanks for the rest of the comments, I really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Technonsense said:

No, the grey 20t beval gear is the one with the round centre hole and is only there to help to prevent slipping.

Ah, that gear, thanks for clearing that up for me, it was driving me bananas. For some reason I totally forgot that gear even existed.