Reza

Quiz N3: An invitation for a real challenge!

@Carrera124 You wrote here what your favorite train is. I didn't know it went out of race!

The whole story:

I bought in September a boxed copy of 7745. The parts were in good condition. I stored my Lego collection in last December. Then I opened  7745 in February and checked all parts carefully. I noticed one wire was different than the inventory. I had not seen that wire before so I did my own research on items for sale on Ebay,... At the same time, I was doing investigation for variations of other parts such as hinges (solid or hollow stud), special powering conducting rail 2731a or 2731b or interference-free 3241c,.... I contacted a seller on Ebay of UK and asked about production date of her motor: Her answer:
"I have around 5 motors so I have put what ever one you want in. I will check and make sure it's the correct type or change it if you require."

That was disappointing as her train would not be original at all. She had too many sets and parts and she might even be a professional seller.
However I contacted her again about two weeks later as her train was still for sale, and asked her to send me a photo of the wire that was plugged into the motor. Her response:
"Hi, the motor and cables are as per the instruction booklet. I struggle to find what the original parts are as the instruction booklet shows differences to online inventories. I think there was an early release and a later release of this set. Or it may have varied in countries. Please see photos of the book showing identical motor and cables. I have around 7 of these motors in the various sets/ spares I have. Let me know if I can advise anymore. Book is dated 1985. Manual also shows diffused lamps but these are clear lens."

That was SOOOO disappointing. I dislike it when the seller gives a different answer than what I asked for. I needed a photo of her own set not a copy of her instructions that is anyway available online. However, I clicked on the photo. It was at this moment that my eyes got fixed and my mouth opened for few minutes. I gazed at the photo of her instructions for some time....

Instructions of 7745 sent by the UK sellerInstructions of 7745 sent by the UK seller 2

After the initial shock, I got up to check my three copies of instructions of 7745. I found out that there were two versions. I checked all pages. The only difference comes in that wire, both on the main model and on the alternative one:

Comparison of instructions of 7745

The first instructions comes with the wire 765c28 (together with three wires 766c28). Its Id number is 120419. It was released in 1985.
The second instructions comes with the wire 2776c28. This one did not exist on bricklink! I don't know how sellers sold their wire and why nobody had not added it to the database! I recently added it and since then, two sellers have added it to their inventory. :-)  The Id of the second version is 120620 and it was used since very early 1986 until the end of release of this set in 1990. 

Edited by Reza

Oh that's funny. I stumbled upon these strange connectors when reading this topic:

Even if the complete wire did not exist on Bricklink, the connectors were contained in set 5065. Maybe sellers forgot to check the instructions in detail and thought that the previous owners bought this service set to repair their 7745 wires.