Reza

Quiz N3: An invitation for a real challenge!

So far, only ONE AFOL has given me the right answer :-)

Hi everybody,

This one is a real challenge!
After the quiz N2 that we had as warm-up, here we are with a harder quiz. I am really curious to know if anybody knows or can find the answer of this one. I would consider a prize for the winner(s).
If you are sure you know the answer, please "DO NOT SPOIL", but only pm me. But if you have any guess together with some reasons for your guess, you are very welcome to comment under this post so that we can discuss about it and who knows, maybe we get multiple responses.
Here is the question:

WHICH INSTRUCTIONS have MORE THAN ONE VERSION?

Instructions for Quiz 3

The sets in question are 7710, 7715, 7720, 7722, 7725, 7727, 7730, 7735, 7740, 7745, 7750, 7755, 7760.
I believe you cannot find the answer by googling (I couldn't).
Good luck :-)

Edited by Reza

7 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

There are at least three that have instructions for at least two different models.

By instructions, I mean  "book" or "manual" or whatever you would call them. In the photo, there are 13 instructions, or 13 books,.... whatever. Each book or instructions have guides to biuld several models.
For an example, the instructions of the set 6923 have two versions. Starting from step 15, the design of the device on the top of the model is different between the two versions. Compare
https://swooshable.com/sets/6923-1

http://www.peeron.com/scans/6923-1/9/

I claim that there are two or more variations of a book of a set. Otherwsie, the quiz would be meaningless.

A guess - one of the models has two different versions of the instructions, most likely due to country differences OR a change during manufacture (for example, a battery train where they added 12v powering instructions in the later versions).

2 minutes ago, bombcar said:

A guess - one of the models has two different versions of the instructions, most likely due to country differences OR a change during manufacture (for example, a battery train where they added 12v powering instructions in the later versions).

If so, which one it is? could you find and send me the links or scans of the two versions?

:-) 

I might be misreading what you're asking, but I believe set 7710 has 2 versions of the instructions (and 2 slightly different versions of the included stickers sheets), as well as including building instructions for both the train show in the catalog and on the box, as well as an alternate build that has open carriages.  Sounds like that's not quite what you're after which I assume is different versions meaning some of the steps are different or the instruction manual is formatted differently for building the same model... so probably one that has both 4.5v and 12v instructions or something like that as bombcar alluded to, and I don't know which that may be if that is the case!

There's a difference at 7735. Your picture shows a track scheme with 2 straight sections in total.

A peeron scan shows a title with a total of 4 straight sections, which I assume is wrong. Because 7730 and 7727 also come with only two sections.

I don't know off the top of my head which one it is, but if I had to guess, one of them had an error in one of the instruction's steps which was corrected in a second printing. This happened occasionally with Lego instructions of this era.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:33 PM, Carrera124 said:

There's a difference at 7735. Your picture shows a track scheme with 2 straight sections in total.

A peeron scan shows a title with a total of 4 straight sections, which I assume is wrong. Because 7730 and 7727 also come with only two sections.

Very nice! This answer is correct but NOT the answer that I intended! :-)
I still don't know how this difference in instructions of 7735 appeared. Both instructions have the same Id number 120418.
It could be a mistake that TLG corrected later.

On 4/25/2018 at 4:57 PM, Jetflap said:

I don't know off the top of my head which one it is, but if I had to guess, one of them had an error in one of the instruction's steps which was corrected in a second printing. This happened occasionally with Lego instructions of this era.

I don't know about that. But the answer I have in mind is not a mistake that was corrected in later releases.:classic::wink::laugh:

It would be nice if you upload a copy of the two versions of the instructions of 6392 that you mentioned to me.

Edited by Reza

Even to this day it is not uncommon for Lego to revise instructions for a given set from one production batch to the next. For example, at some point during the run of the Emerald night they added a 1x1 technic brick to the power train to keep one of the gears from slipping off.

33 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Even to this day it is not uncommon for Lego to revise instructions for a given set from one production batch to the next. For example, at some point during the run of the Emerald night they added a 1x1 technic brick to the power train to keep one of the gears from slipping off.

True.
However, I think the answer of this quiz will be interesting for fans of 12v trains. :-)

Edited by Reza

On 4/25/2018 at 7:21 PM, Reza said:

It would be nice if you upload a copy of the two versions of the instructions of 6392 that you mentioned to me.

Reza, here is the example of a color error in an early printing of 6392 instructions. Keep in mind, the instructions are identical otherwise, and have the same printing year (1985)

The first photo has the error. In step 9 the 1x1 plate is colored red but it should be white. Notice in step 12 the correct white color is shown for the same part.

IMG_20180502_104740753_LI

In this photo, step 9 has been corrected and appears in white.

IMG_20180502_104701789_LI

I call this error a "color error" which can be found occasionally in sets from this time period. There other types of errors too, one I call a "spacial  error." This error has the piece drawn in an impossible way, either floating unattached or occupying part of the same space as another part. I.E. it was drawn wrong as opposed to colored wrong. I have only seen this a couple times, but never made a note of which sets so I don't have a ready example. I know it reminded me of some of M.C. Escher's drawings with people climbing steps in multiple directions!

13 hours ago, Jetflap said:

Reza, here is the example of a color error in an early printing of 6392 instructions. Keep in mind, the instructions are identical otherwise, and have the same printing year (1985)

I don't think the printing year can tell much about the version of the instructions. It is more important to check the ID code of the instructions. Like Lego boxes, (almost) all of them have the same copy right year but the content may be different. So what are the ID numbers of the two versions of your instructions 6392?

Now, I remove one wrong answer from each row:
From the first row, I remove 7750
From the second row, I remove 7727
From the last row I remove 7720.

Instructions for Quiz 3 Removed N1

Reza,

Would it by chance be 7722? I seem to recall there being one of the 4.5v/12v era sets that came in two forms and I thought that it was that one.

3D LEGO

The sets 

1 hour ago, 3D LEGO said:

Reza,

Would it by chance be 7722? I seem to recall there being one of the 4.5v/12v era sets that came in two forms and I thought that it was that one.

3D LEGO

The sets 7720 and 7722 are 4.5v as they come with battery wagon however on the last pages of instructions of 7722 it shows how to change the motor and make it a 12v one.
The sets 7710 and 7715 are push-along so you can make them 4.5v or 12v as you wish. 

4 hours ago, Reza said:

So what are the ID numbers of the two versions of your instructions 6392?

They are both the same, 120405

Here is another error from the same instructions, the red cap was drawn twice, overlapping at different angles, a "spacial error." The was not corrected in either of my copies.

IMG_20180503_052258289_LL_LI

31 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

Still have no clue, if it isn't visible on the top pages.

No, the difference is not about the top page of 7735 :-)
I remove two more instructions. It is getting easier :-)

Instructions for Quiz 3 Removed N2

How  about another type of hint? Is the variation a minor a major change? Is it due to a part change? 7740 was made for quite a few years, do they show a different type of wire for example? Maybe it was the graphic on the back page, this changed on various instructions in the late 80's for example, so maybe 7715 or 7722. Without any detail about the change, it is impossible to figure out unless someone happens to have multiple copies of the sets to scan through, or if they just happen to know the answer off the top of their head!

1 hour ago, Jetflap said:

Is the variation a minor a major change?

I don't know what to call a minor change or what to call major change.

Is it due to a part change?

Yes!

Maybe it was the graphic on the back page

No!

Without any detail about the change, it is impossible to figure out unless someone happens to have multiple copies of the sets to scan through

It is definitely possible. If one compare his instructions with those available online, then may find the answer.
To help further, as my previous quizzes, I have not yet submitted the inventory change request on bricklink so you will not find it by checking the inventories of these sets. :-)

At first I thought that 7715 had a strange cutoff of the track in the centre of the track figures. But that may just be because of space limitations.

I remove 7715 and 7760. Now, only 6 instructions remain.

Hint: why don't you match the ID of your instructions with those available online?!

Instructions for Quiz 3 Removed N3

Instructions for Quiz 3 Removed N4

Only three instructions left: 7740, 7735 and 7745 :-)

I was hoping that someone could point to various instructions for a different set that what I intended (But Carrera124 pointed to slight difference in instructions of 7735). It seems there is only one correct answer. 

The answer is the favorite 12v train of Christian "Carrera124" :-)