fillishave

[MOC] Star Dust Drive-in Theatre - Lego ideas

My first Lego Ideas-submission! In order for this to have a realistic chance of ending up as an Ideas-set I wanted to build something that was less than 1500 pieces and didn’t involve too many strange SNOT and/or illegal techniques. I personally really liked the new Downtown Diner so I thought I’d build upon that (pun intended)

Since a couple of the pieces I wanted weren't available in certain colors, dark turqoise and pink in particular, I decided to make this an all digital build (there is actually a 20% built version at home…)

If you like it I would be super greatful if you take the time to vote for me at: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/565f68af-6f67-46ca-bd91-70849dc4c2f9 

You can find more pictures over at Lego ideas!

5378588-o_1cbf3fnf88pn10td1ji2coh1mg42c-krzF19pnawQ_5Q-thumbnail-full.jpg

Edited by fillishave
Misspelled the title :-P

This is a really lovely model. Just as with your "House of the Inventor MOC this looks very professionally designed and I can honestly say if this was selected by Lego Ideas and produced for sale I would definitely buy it.

I think you've made it just the right size and included the right amount of details for an Ideas project so hopefully this will stand a good chance of reaching the 10,000 votes. 

The three vehicles you've included are great. My favourite is the truck but I also love both the cars. Great work! :classic:

3 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

This is a really lovely model. Just as with your "House of the Inventor MOC this looks very professionally designed and I can honestly say if this was selected by Lego Ideas and produced for sale I would definitely buy it.

I think you've made it just the right size and included the right amount of details for an Ideas project so hopefully this will stand a good chance of reaching the 10,000 votes. 

The three vehicles you've included are great. My favourite is the truck but I also love both the cars. Great work! :classic:

Thank you so much for your kind words! Yeah I put quite a lot of thought into making it a size and brick count that would stand an actual chance of being a real set. If this would have been a personal project it would probably have ended up being three times as long and with three times as many bricks :wink:

Extra happy that you liked the cars! Those were a real challenge for me since I have never built a car in my entire life :laugh:

Another thing I forgot to mention... Your pictures are great and I would have found it very difficult to tell they are rendered images if you hadn't mentioned it in your original post. Would you mind telling me what software you used to render the pictures please?

I have recently added my own MOC project to Eurobricks with all the images made up from digital renders but they are not as realistic looking as yours.

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

Another thing I forgot to mention... Your pictures are great and I would have found it very difficult to tell they are rendered images if you hadn't mentioned it in your original post. Would you mind telling me what software you used to render the pictures please?

I have recently added my own MOC project to Eurobricks with all the images made up from digital renders but they are not as realistic looking as yours.

I just looked at you pub and it's really an awesome build! I actually built a British pub as well last year, made a comment in your thread about how your pub probably attracts a nicer crowd than mine :laugh:

To answer your question I use Cinema 4D with Octane render which would have been a very expensive combo if I only used it for rendering Lego. I use that software for work so that's why I have access to it but I believe many people have achieved fantastic results with Blender which if free. The biggest give away in my renders are the harsh edges and lack of variation and imperfections in the surfaces but since this wasn't meant to act as a real beauty render but more to convey the feel of the build it was good enough for me this time. Going to look into another renderer next time though to see if I can get rid of those hard egdes a bit easier!

15 minutes ago, fillishave said:

I just looked at you pub and it's really an awesome build! I actually built a British pub as well last year, made a comment in your thread about how your pub probably attracts a nicer crowd than mine :laugh:

To answer your question I use Cinema 4D with Octane render which would have been a very expensive combo if I only used it for rendering Lego. I use that software for work so that's why I have access to it but I believe many people have achieved fantastic results with Blender which if free. The biggest give away in my renders are the harsh edges and lack of variation and imperfections in the surfaces but since this wasn't meant to act as a real beauty render but more to convey the feel of the build it was good enough for me this time. Going to look into another renderer next time though to see if I can get rid of those hard egdes a bit easier!

I've just read your comment on my MOC, many thanks for that. Your pub is also brilliant.

Regarding the renders. I expected it was probably some professional quality software you'd used as the images are photo realistic as far as I'm concerned. For my pictures I just used BlueRender which is pretty limited in what you can do but at least it's free and fairly simple to use. :laugh: For the signage on the pub I just added these in afterwards using photoshop. 

Excellent choice of subject for an Ideas project @fillishave! I really like how this can fit alongside other modular building without being a modular building, as so not to clash with Ideas policy about preexisting lines. :thumbup: :smug:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Excellent choice of subject for an Ideas project @fillishave! I really like how this can fit alongside other modular building without being a modular building, as so not to clash with Ideas policy about preexisting lines. :thumbup: :smug:

if something clashes with policies now it is blocked before getting into the ideas website.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks so much! 

5 minutes ago, MOMAtteo79 said:

if something clashes with policies now it is blocked before getting into the ideas website.

I guess that's the best way to go about it so you know you're out before you even get in :wink:

That's lovely!  It's a bit small for a drive-in, but I get where you were going with keeping it in-scale with the Modulars.  Your color scheme is great, and nice use of the curved tiles on the sign.  The bit of 50s flair on the sides of the screen is a really nice touch as well.  And I love that little green car!

I think the only thing missing (unless it's there and just not pictured) that should be added is the actual projector for the movie.

1 hour ago, deraven said:

That's lovely!  It's a bit small for a drive-in, but I get where you were going with keeping it in-scale with the Modulars.  Your color scheme is great, and nice use of the curved tiles on the sign.  The bit of 50s flair on the sides of the screen is a really nice touch as well.  And I love that little green car!

I think the only thing missing (unless it's there and just not pictured) that should be added is the actual projector for the movie.

Thanks! Yeah, it would really need to be bigger to make proper sense but like you said I wanted to keep it the same size as the modular buildings. A wider build would still be compatible (like Assembly Square) but that on the other hand wouldn't really help with this build anyways. But I'm figuring Lego builds in general haven't always been too strict in that sense anyways. 

Ha, ha I feel like the most stupid person on earth right now but I have actually completely forgotten to add the actual projector! Ok at least I know what to add in my first update if this project picks up some speed :wink:

Oh wow, I've been working on my own Drive In Theater for Ideas, but yours is infinitely better than mine will be. Great job :thumbup:

48 minutes ago, fillishave said:

Ha, ha I feel like the most stupid person on earth right now but I have actually completely forgotten to add the actual projector! Ok at least I know what to add in my first update if this project picks up some speed :wink:

:laugh:  Like you said, Lego isn't always accurate with these things, but maybe you could squeeze in an offset projector on either side at the back of the entrance structure.

Of course, Lego is also a bit ambiguous about what time period the modulars are actually in, so perhaps your drive-in is retro-styled but the screen is actually a giant LED display!  :laugh:

25 minutes ago, just2good said:

Oh wow, I've been working on my own Drive In Theater for Ideas, but yours is infinitely better than mine will be. Great job :thumbup:

Thank you so much! I'm sure yours will be spectacular as well and with your personal twist on it, it will probably make for a great Ideas-submission as well :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, aukevin said:

Looks great.  I've been working on one as well.  Love your sign, going to borrow that :)

Thank you! Please do, sharing is caring :classic:

1 minute ago, deraven said:

:laugh:  Like you said, Lego isn't always accurate with these things, but maybe you could squeeze in an offset projector on either side at the back of the entrance structure.

Of course, Lego is also a bit ambiguous about what time period the modulars are actually in, so perhaps your drive-in is retro-styled but the screen is actually a giant LED display!  :laugh:

I could try to put one in the ticket building or even on the roof. And if that looks like crap I will take your second advice and say that it's a retro styled modern drive-in with a state of the art OLED-display :grin:

Just now, Chilis said:

Very nice indeed! Supported! :thumbup:

Thank you so much! 

2 hours ago, just2good said:

Oh wow, I've been working on my own Drive In Theater for Ideas, but yours is infinitely better than mine will be.

Hey, cool! Looking forward to the end result! :sweet:

Amazing work as always! That's a quite unique concept. I love all the build but my favorite part is that smooth exterior of the ticket office!

This works really nice as a stand alone building and it also fits with the modulars?

On 4/23/2018 at 2:26 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

as so not to clash with Ideas policy about preexisting lines. :thumbup: :smug:

That's pretty cool! :sweet: The only thing to hope now is the 10.000 milestone, which, I feel or at least I hope will not be too difficult to achieve... The rest is almost guaranteed! :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan