It is a great work but this car it is too hard for the actual Lego wheels, the real one has huge wheels and it is imposible to be realistic if you want to build a gearbox for it.

Considering that the real Chiron is bulbous in almost every aspect, you’ve done a pretty good job.

For future models of the Chiron I’d recommend staying away from panels and sticking to flex axles, because they can be bent to 100% capture the shape of the bodywork, whereas panels tend to leave you with awkward flat gaps.

6 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Why is that :o

Not going into detail about every little thing that would keep this model from meeting TLG's criteria, but one obvious no-no in this model that we would never see from an official Technic model are axles being used as a torsion bars.

Congratulations! This is simply incredible, I´m almost speechless *huh*.. Although nothing is perfect in this model, many compromises had to be made. But the overall package is so spectacular! Especially I love the modularity and the RC/manual choice in one model :wub:. An ultimate challenge you have faced there, not least when the official set was announced which probably made it not easy to continue and finish it. You took your time and it was worth it :thumbup:. Technically it´s by far the most dense and most functional supercar MOC of all times. The 42083 Chiron has lost this battle already :tongue:

The 1 stud change made the crucial difference and rounded up the whole appearance, well done. 

First of all, thank you for all your comments ! Glad to see you liked it :)

21 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Amazing model :wub: Definitely worth the wait!

Very interesting gearbox, adjustable suspension, sleek bodywork without looking too cluttered. The roofline is still looking a little off, but that is really details in an otherwise brilliant car.

It will be interesting to see how this compares to the LEGO version. Are you planning on getting that one to see them side by side?

Yes I'm planning that ! I'm very curious about future TLG version. Much more about the (probable) gearbox. May I will make some kind of review but for sure I will take photos to compare :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Pvdb said:

It looks so much better now that you have fixed the roof and brought it a bit lower.  It was definitely worth doing that.  Great functions as well.  Now it will be really interesting to compare your bodywork with the Lego version that is coming out soon/maybe/one day.

Yeah I fixed roof height due to lot of remarks on YouTube and Techlug ahahaha !

IMO, it's very difficult to evaluate ratios aspects of your creation when you look too closely since 2 years. Forums and you guys help me to stand back and give me opportunities to improve my MOC.

20 hours ago, Meatman said:

Looks better with the changes. :thumbup: Something is just a tad off compared to the actual car though. It's going to be interesting to see how Lego approaches the shape in their set.

66fd7251352d999e116edce2b072cbbb.jpg

27761943728_2f36960628_b.jpg

Also, doesn't having the steering links in front of the wheels give a reverse ackermann effect?

11 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Excellent work! Lifting the rear side of the hood by one stud really improved the overall resemblance. One question: Does it have opposite Ackermann geometry?

I'm very interesting about TLG future approach too. Hopping about a dark blue/blue color scheme and not too much new specifics parts.

You spoted the reverse ackermann effect, nice shot ! I think if you ask the question you know the answer ^^ In reality when you have transmission (4WD) + setting of adjustable suspensions + anti-roll bar, there is no more space for steering in front of the axle. The angle of steering stay the same than positive ackerman angle. It's a Formules 1 geometry configuration. 

20 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Amazing work there!

You've set an incredibly high standard for the lego group to beat :)

14 hours ago, Meatman said:

This is in no way a disrespect to Leviathan as I think that as an AFOL, he did a great job with a very difficult automobile, but a fair amount of this build would not meet The LEGO Group's standards.:wink:

Thank you for your comment but my Bugatti Chiron doesn't follow TLG standard :) I'm so far of Lego designer building technics. It wasn't my aim either. But I think that trying to create something new and different is a good way to improve skills for future MOCs.

I'm totally aware of TLG's standards. Like you said @Meatman, that's definitely a fan (perfectible) build :)

18 hours ago, KD123 said:

I've been following your build for some time now, what an amazing journey you have been on putting this masterpiece together.  Congratulations.  

Regarding the silver "C" accent on your moc, did you consider extending a silver flex axle down the A pillar or continue using silver flex axles at the bottom in place of the silver tiles that is right below the bottom of the doors?

I see the silver 1x2 thin liftarrm at the front of the car (nice touch to tie into the accent on the side of the car.  In the real car this silver accent continues from the front of the wheel well and extend below the entire length of the #2 blue panel that you have at the front of the car.  As such the 1x2 thin silver lit arm that you current have at the sides of the front of the car appears to be a half a stud too high in relation to where the accent is on the side of the car.  Not sure if I'm making any sense here but at any rate, minor details.   

I do think the car is too long in front of the front wheels vs. the real car but that said I actually like the front end of your moc vs. the real Bugatti which I think is way too bulbous looking imo. :)  Also the rear diffusers seems to extend well beyond the  black curved panel 3x6x3 which you've used ingeniously to define the back of the car's bumper.  

What a great build!  well done!

Concerning "C" silver : I choose silver (or grey) 1/2 thickness liftarm to create a cohesive and strong chassis continuing below the bottom of doors. The line could be more "just" with flex for sure. Am I answer your question ?

Nice detail about the 1x2 grey liftarm ! I'll fix it :)

I agree with your remark about rear diffusers. I'm waiting TLG treatment. If I like it, I will improve my creation !

14 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Absolutely stunning! 

I don't remember how I first found you, but I've been following your Flickr since the first WIP pictures. Your progress was fun to follow. Great final product.

ahaha nice ! So I have long time followers :)

14 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Normally I don't care about car MOC's but in this case, I am willing to do an exception.

I love the fact that you can take it apart in modules so easily, it makes troubleshooting so much easier. 

I also like the idea of solving difficult angles with a steering wheel link, that never occured to me. Maybe because I don't own a 1L steering bar but still

a4c77d3bbe.png

I don't care much for gearboxes in general. The really cool thing about this model is one switch for putting it in manual/motorised mode, and I cannot comprehend how that is possible with just one transmission ring. Please explain?

I don't need to mention the Aesthetics as that is clearly what kept me reading through the post in the first place.

4000 parts, not bad, I'd buy that if it was a set.

Very very useful this steering wheel link ! I used it to set panels too. I'm glad to heard you liked the main shape of the car. 

For your information, the gearbox itself has 1 000 parts.

11 hours ago, LvdH said:

The rear fenders are too high, and the windshield doesn't have the curves because it doesn't have a windshield. Both the front and the rear look too long as well. It appears to still look too high as well, but it's already miles better than before.

There is a driving ring which is engaged when it's in RC mode. When shifting to manual mode, those driving rings disengage and you can steer and drive freely. Also there have to be at least 2; one for steering and one for driving. :wink: 

Yeah that's it. You have one driving ring for steering (the one you spotted Carsten) and one for driving train to disengage. Because it a dual clutch gearbox there is always at least one driving ring engaged on two.

13 hours ago, Leviathan said:

IMO, it's very difficult to evaluate ratios aspects of your creation when you look too closely since 2 years. Forums and you guys help me to stand back and give me opportunities to improve my MOC.

This is very recognizable. When you look at a model for a long time it becomes your reference. I'm experiencing the same thing with my builds, even without trying to replicate a real car. Btw, also your anti-roll-bar-setup and your torsion bars look very familiar :wink:.

On 4/23/2018 at 6:38 AM, Meatman said:

This is in no way a disrespect to Leviathan as I think that as an AFOL, he did a great job with a very difficult automobile, but a fair amount of this build would not meet The LEGO Group's standards.:wink:

You're making this point quite often and you're probably quite right, but you have to realize that stock LEGO sets are not only confined by building standards, but also by costs. In a build like this, I suppose @Leviathan did not make any compromises towards the quality of his constructions and features, where LEGO would. So you could also turn it around: LEGO will never meet the high building standards of builders like @Leviathan. In the end, comparing this kind of builds (with no compromises) with stock LEGO sets, is comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by Didumos69

8 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

You're making this point quite often and you're probably quite right, but you have to realize that stock LEGO sets are not only confined by building standards, but also by costs. In a build like this, I suppose @Leviathan did not make any compromises towards the quality of his constructions and features, where LEGO would. So you could also turn it around: LEGO will never meet the high building standards of builders like @Leviathan. In the end, comparing this kind of builds (with no compromises) with stock LEGO sets, is comparing apples and oranges.

I only make this point because people constantly use terms like "Raising the bar" or "Setting the standard" far too loosely. AFOL have the freedom to do what they please and that is fine. But when I see models(Not referring to this one) stacking way too many liftarms for chassis support, have parts being used in unnatural ways where they are being bent or stressed, using sloppy connections and are flimsy, or have a video where you can clearly see things don't work properly, and then see people claim in the comments that the "Bar has been raised" I just roll my eyes. :look:

Edited by Meatman

On 23/4/2018 at 4:43 PM, Meatman said:

Not going into detail about every little thing that would keep this model from meeting TLG's criteria, but one obvious no-no in this model that we would never see from an official Technic model are axles being used as a torsion bars.

You mean like in 9763? The elastic effect of the crossaxle 32 is used in one of the missions.

This Chiron is just awesome! Good luck with your own version LEGO! :D

10 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

This is very recognizable. When you look at a model for a long time it becomes your reference. I'm experiencing the same thing with my builds, even without trying to replicate a real car. Btw, also your anti-roll-bar-setup and your torsion bars look very familiar :wink:.

Familiar uh ?... My apologies I forgot to say your name in the topic. I fixed that. By the way, your anti roll bar setup is very easy to implement and so realistic. Thank you for sharing that kind of idea. you helped me so far :)

6 hours ago, jackalope said:

Thank you for the sharing !

Edited by Leviathan

1 hour ago, Lasse D said:

You mean like in 9763? The elastic effect of the crossaxle 32 is used in one of the missions.

This Chiron is just awesome! Good luck with your own version LEGO! :D

I am not at all familiar with that set, Is the axle being twisted in a circular motion putting stress on the axle holes of other parts?

5 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I am not at all familiar with that set, Is the axle being twisted in a circular motion putting stress on the axle holes of other parts?

It appears to work as some sort of catapult. Unless this isn't the parts Lasse was talking about. 
aWHpr8Z.png

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

It appears to work as some sort of catapult. Unless this isn't the parts Lasse was talking about. 
aWHpr8Z.png

Yes. This is exactly right. I do not know of any sets where cross axles are twisted. The nearest would be the use of torsion beams in the Brick Cars book by @lego911

A detail I noticed about this set is how the real car is making the rear end seem more rounded than it apparently is. This is a massively difficult effect to recreate in LEGO, and I have no idea of how @Leviathan should have recreated it.

2 hours ago, Leviathan said:

Familiar uh ?... My apologies I forgot to say your name in the topic. I fixed that. By the way, your anti roll bar setup is very easy to implement and so realistic. Thank you for sharing that kind of idea. you helped me so far :)

I was of course asking for that a little, but I feel honored my rugged supercar front axles have been a small source of inspiration for this epic build. Thanks!

I simply love this image :wub:!

Spoiler

41631103241_e13c48e48c_b.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Amazing! I’m really impressed by the  functions and density of your build. I would love to build this!!

When I look at the picture and your MOC what strikes me as different are the A-pillars and the curve of the silver line. Have you considered changing the A pillars to make them curved instead of straight? Or continue the silver flex thingy, but curved ... Just my two cents how you could make this remarkable model even better.