Mark of Falworth

Black Falcon's Fortress Re-Imagined

Hey guys,

Long time no see! I thought I would pop back in and share my latest castle project! :classic:

It's a re-imagining of the classic Black Falcon's Fortress from the 80s! And if you are like me and think it's time LEGO brought back some classic castle stuff please go give it some support on LEGO Ideas!

26709879337_b8e0990cba_c.jpg
Black Falcon's Fortress. by Mark E., on Flickr

26709874407_3218e2824a_c.jpg

40867004464_9151dbb44c_c.jpg

Great work as always, Mark. I love the front towers, but the back could have been a little bit bigger to include a living space or something for the knights. Again, very well done. :classic:

Really great, especially retaining the ability to swing the walls open (and potentially add on more reimagined Classic Castle sets - I always loved the proto-modular feature they had!).

I agree that the timber section in the back could be a bit more pronounced and bigger, though it does look right as just a feature of the wall when it's opened up... so not quite sure which way I'd have gone with that.

The bit of groundwork you have included along with the drawbridge over the water is lovely.  Nicely done!

That looks really nice. :wub:

The vegetation at the front of the wall is a nice addition.

The wall have great details in the stonework.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Very impressive indeed and definitely a great rendition of the iconic Black Falcon Fortress. Supported and thanks for sharing. :sweet: 

Great job.  Love the texturing of the towers and the base has some great landscaping to it.  Nice work.

This is a beautiful model! Though as I mentioned on Facebook, it would have been nice if you could have included more interior details now that the larger size allows for it. The stable is a phenomenal addition (would love for more LEGO castles to have stables!), but those towers are crying out for more contents! Maybe the lower level of one of them could be converted into a dungeon?

Do you have instructions on how to build this via lego designer or anything? I would love to replicate it.

Thanks guys! Please be sure to follow that link and support it! :classic:

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

This is a beautiful model! Though as I mentioned on Facebook, it would have been nice if you could have included more interior details now that the larger size allows for it. The stable is a phenomenal addition (would love for more LEGO castles to have stables!), but those towers are crying out for more contents! Maybe the lower level of one of them could be converted into a dungeon?

Thanks! Yeah, I think I saw that. And I've heard that exact suggestion from multiple sources! I'll be sure to edit some interesting rooms in there in the update! :wink:

8 minutes ago, thetang22 said:

I really enjoy modern re-imaginations of classic sets.  This is a great example of such.

Did You see any more of them? I really like the idea. Any links :)?

I really like it! Inspires me to make my own

6 hours ago, Dorino said:

I have....but only over time.  Sorry, but I don't collect the links when I see them...only know that I've seen them here on the rare occasion over the years.  I remember seeing a nice version of 6086 Black Knights castle that had been updated in the last year or 2.

9 hours ago, thetang22 said:

I really enjoy modern re-imaginations of classic sets.  This is a great example of such.

I love those as well! Not to mention the inverse of that which I don’t see so often (old-school versions of modern sets)!

22 hours ago, thetang22 said:

Yes, same here! :sweet:

22 hours ago, Dorino said:

Did You see any more of them? I really like the idea.

As far as reimagined Castle sets, I haven't seen any really, but I've seen plenty of Classic Space sets reimagined multiple times in many ways.

But, there is this discussion topic from the BrickPicker Forums featuring MOCs that do just that! :classic:

BrickPicker - Updating the classics 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as reimagined Castle sets, I haven't seen any really

Actually - the Castle I was referring to (6086) is on the first page of the link you posted about Updating the classics :)

Holy F....alcon! Holy F...alworth!

Now this is the perfect blend of MOC and set; l really believe this is the epitome of what future castle sets should strive to look like if TLC would be so kind to create such a line again.

Lovely brickwork, although not too intricate and as said before by other members, I like how you incorporated the original features of the classic set while also adding some new ones like the stables and the little armory corner adding just that bit of realism the old set missed.

I agree with the other members that the "Keep" could use some more attention, although IMO it doesn't have to be bigger..it just looks pixelized next to the rest of the building

and of course gate towers are screaming for interior decoration but you know that already.

My two cents will be about the usage of base plates making the grass edges "float" why not use regular large plates..they're cheaper and would eliminate the floating!

All in all this is the set I'm(and I'm sure lots of Lego Castle lovers with me) waiting for and when(not if...when) this one hits the stores I'll be picking up half a dozen of 'em

Keep up the great work!

This is really neat to see. I never had that castle, but I did always like Black Falcons. I like the larger size and the snotwork involved. The groundwork is neat. I need to learn to not use baseplates and instead use layered plates, but I don't have a large collection of those yet.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, Dorino said:

As for your comment, I recreated one and posted pictures in January. I didn't have many views or comments oddly enough. I need to work on the water effect maybe.

Go here if you'd like to see it.

I've also been planning on doing others reimagined, I just haven't had the time to do so. I have too many other WIPs in the way.

This is a fantastic re-interpretation of the Black Falcon's Fortress! I just love the archway and the use of the Cattle Horns as foliage! What are we supposed to do if we don't support such an amazing MOC on Ideas?! 

This is fantastic, and I've definitely supported it.  I love that the old panel piece was included.  Panels can work well when used properly, and this looks great.  The terrain is fantastic, and those huge towers in the front are awesome.  I agree with BrickJagger that the back keep area could have been a little bigger, and my own criticism is the lack of the chimney from the original set.  Aside from that, this is tremendously good work.  Keep them coming!

Nice job!

On 26/04/2018 at 1:28 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Yes, same here! :sweet:

As far as reimagined Castle sets, I haven't seen any really, but I've seen plenty of Classic Space sets reimagined multiple times in many ways.

But, there is this discussion topic from the BrickPicker Forums featuring MOCs that do just that! :classic:

BrickPicker - Updating the classics 

18 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

As for your comment, I recreated one and posted pictures in January. I didn't have many views or comments oddly enough. I need to work on the water effect maybe.

Go here if you'd like to see it.

I've also been planning on doing others reimagined, I just haven't had the time to do so. I have too many other WIPs in the way.

Thank You guys! This is my new favorite thing, i love all of them!

Thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions everyone! :classic: 

I'll be incorporating as much as possible in the second update. 

On 4/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, x105Black said:

This is fantastic, and I've definitely supported it.  I love that the old panel piece was included.  Panels can work well when used properly, and this looks great.  The terrain is fantastic, and those huge towers in the front are awesome.  I agree with BrickJagger that the back keep area could have been a little bigger, and my own criticism is the lack of the chimney from the original set.  Aside from that, this is tremendously good work.  Keep them coming!

Nice job!

I ended up not adding the chimney since there was no fireplace for it to serve a purpose. If you think it would definitely look better with a small chimney up there I'll definitely have to add one! :wink:

I thought the minifigures that are included in the set deserved a little bit more attention! :grin:

39920332150_2cfd59e803_z.jpg
Black Falcon Archers by Mark E., on Flickr

41746551641_5bac2a7ebf_z.jpg
Black Falcon Infantry by Mark E., on Flickr

26891736487_d37197b0d9_z.jpg
Black Falcon Knights by Mark E., on Flickr

41767723281_dfd4985aca_z.jpg
Dismounted Knights. by Mark E., on Flickr

27898487768_4251536e87_z.jpg
Black Falcon Army by Mark E., on Flickr

More info in the Update.