Trekkie99

What would you want from a new Lego monorail system?

You guys aren't understanding my complaints well.  It's not just "all track based" so it doesn't matter.  This is a thread about monorail - the coaster tracks are not monorail.  You could use the same argument that since they have "regular" trains, we should concentrate on those and not distract TLG with talk of monorail.  There's many types of transportation, many types of rail based transportation; monorail is only one of them, and that's the whole gist of this thread - not trains, not coasters, not narrow gauge.

Secondly, nobody here really expects TLG to bring back monorail after they've specifically said they weren't going to do it.

Lastly, this is all great conversation for LEGO Train Tech - but this thread is derailed because of discussions about coaster track and narrow gauge... this is one of those pet peeves things, and why I'm reading LEGO subredits more than I'm participating here - if you want to talk about coaster track as a new modern means of city transportation, then make a thread, and I'll be happy to add positive comments because I think there's great potential - but it's not monorail, and it won't take the place of monorail.  I don't like sounding so negative, I'm sorry if it bothers people.  Simply put: No, I don't think coaster tracks are relevant to a thread about monorail.  Period.

18 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

The old blue and then grey tracks from the 1960s, 70s and 80s could be the track.  One individual rail, and you can make a train motor type thing with one motor.  

But do you think the rail needs to be one or two studs wide?  Or a new piece all together of about 1.5 studs?  The original idea was pretty stupid really.  Too expensive?  They made it twice as wide as was needed.  However, I think that they were kind of on the right lines - just not exactly.

The problem is the locomotive, powering it with PF, and having enough traction and running smoothly.  I've seen the posts using that track, and the smooth running one looks cool, but needs two levels in order to run smoothly.  IOW, it needs depth, and there are no matching curved 1x parts.  On straight sections, it could run really well.  If TLG were to make a new system, those rails might be a good starting point.

Edited by fred67

23 hours ago, xadrian said:

I get that, but I also see what kids look at when they come to non-Lego cons or fairs where we display and the monorail builds always do well.  Now, if there's a train there too, the train gets more attention.  But I just don't get how something with lights and motors would elicit less of a reaction than, say, BF or Creator sets.  My son's 13 and he gave up on LEGO for a couple years, despite me getting him more sets.  He finally told me not to get him any more.  But man, I rebuilt my Futuron monorail as a Blacktron theme, threw some LEDs and light wires on it and he couldn't stop messing with it.

So, if it were up to me, which it isn't, I'd incorporate more lights but make them so you can rework them with the track.  I mean, you could have a Wakanda set with a monorail and those pylons along the train all lit up.  The new Solo movie has a train thing showing up in the preview, no reason you couldn't adapt that to the monorail track.  In fact, that would work pretty well given how sturdy those tracks are.

I have flashing lights on my monorail train :classic:

5364230-IMG_0542_M_Bellis_Space_Monorail_P03-04-bdIoa494pRqYrQ-thumbnail-full.JPG

With a simple PF light brick it was easier to use a mechanical method to flash the lights.

The Solo Conveyex train would need magnets to keep both halves on the track, if it used roller-coaster tracks back-to-back.  The alternating track support pylons mean both edges are covered so there is no way to build the two halves of the train together.  I have some Neodymium magnets from my Working BB-8 Droid experiments (near the bottom of the 3rd page of updates) but even encasing them in minifig dustbins they would not be allowed in a set (given the intestine-ripping reason for removing all swallowable magnets from toys) and even then they would be at the limit of their magnetic attraction, just as I found with BB-8.

Such a system would also need a twistable track to ape the movie well.  That is not in the current parts selection for the roller-coaster track pieces.  It is also not easy to achieve in a brick-built monorail track.  Flexi-track could do it though, or I have a previous barrel-roll track from the 5-wide tracks, with a video.  The track type fulfils the function; monorail is good for some functions but maybe not all.

Mark

On 5/8/2018 at 1:35 PM, Greenstar said:

What about my project The winter Alweg monorail

I will need to repost it though but it is on Lego ideas

Firstly, well done for posting your first project.  As you see other monorail projects, that will give you ideas about the technology and the theme to make your reposted project more successful.

If you could think about how to add a motor and make it go round some curves to complete a circuit then that would be a big step forward.

I've added an update to my Space Monorail.  The curves are now completely stress-free in both permanent and movable varieties.

Look out for more updates on various aspects of the project.

Mark

Being as a monorail is basically just a square section beam, the only parts Lego would have to release is a single curve piece. The straight sections would be a 2xN plate, brick, tile sandwich, creating a 2x2 cross section. Then the single new curved piece could be place on the end in any orientation, up, down, left, right, whatever, just by rotating it 90 degrees. Of course the trick is how to connect them. A longitudinal technic cross axle? The monorail would then grip the track either side using rubber wheels. I can totally see that for a Jurassic world set.

21 minutes ago, allanp said:

Being as a monorail is basically just a square section beam, the only parts Lego would have to release is a single curve piece. The straight sections would be a 2xN plate, brick, tile sandwich, creating a 2x2 cross section. Then the single new curved piece could be place on the end in any orientation, up, down, left, right, whatever, just by rotating it 90 degrees. Of course the trick is how to connect them. A longitudinal technic cross axle? The monorail would then grip the track either side using rubber wheels. I can totally see that for a Jurassic world set.

That's what I've been saying... even just a curved tile, like they've recently done in 1x, but those segments have far too narrow radius.  A 2x8, where I think 32 segments would make a complete circle, would be all we need to really get going.  A 2x8 brick to match would make it even better.

Here's a non-motorized, Disneyland monorail project utilizing a purist track solution (CRS, I guess?) submitted just today over on LEGO Ideas:

Disneyland Mark VII Monorail by Brickifier1 

On 4/26/2018 at 8:51 AM, MAB said:

Maybe if LEGO becomes much more popular in China, there will be demand for realistic monorail sets comparable to current trains sets.

According to TLG in more recent press releases and CEO statements, China is indeed becoming more of a relevant market for the company, so... :shrug_oh_well:

On 5/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mark Bellis said:

Firstly, well done for posting your first project.  As you see other monorail projects, that will give you ideas about the technology and the theme to make your reposted project more successful.

If you could think about how to add a motor and make it go round some curves to complete a circuit then that would be a big step forward.

I've added an update to my Space Monorail.  The curves are now completely stress-free in both permanent and movable varieties.

Look out for more updates on various aspects of the project.

Mark

I sadly don't have enough track to make a full circuit but I do have curves

I am currently working on an original suspended monorail project though to put on Lego ideas because it follows my girlfriends favorite Lego theme, classic space, and it is modular as well

But this one runs in like a terraformed planet as forklifts can be used to load and unload it.  It can also run outside the terraformed area of the planet because of how it hangs below it's track.

Has anyone here caught wind of this new initiative LAN will be launching in August? While the language is vague, it kinda sounds like LEGO Ideas, but on a much larger scale to say the least; so, perhaps it may be a promising platform for those wishing to pitch their idea for a new sub-system of parts to TLG! :shrug_oh_well:

LEGO Ambassador Network - The LEGO Group is set to Launch its Brand-New Lead User Lab

The Lead User Lab will aim to capture new-to-the-company ideas, evaluate their potential and bring them to life in new ways.

Planned to start in August, the Lead User Lab pilot project sets out to build a unique innovation model for the LEGO Group, capturing, evaluating and nurturing ideas from the brilliant and creative minds of LEGO fans and Lead Users among adult LEGO users.

Co-creating these future innovations will set the ground for developing investigate new opportunity areas which might include complementary add-ons to the LEGO building system, digital experiences and even marketplaces, imagined by the Lead Users, and brought to scale by the LEGO Group.

Kari Vinther Nielsen, Head of Lead User Lab at the LEGO Group said:
“Innovation is often something you don’t know you need. Lead Users often create this future – they react to trends and come up with ingenious solutions to problems we perhaps didn’t even know we had! We want to capture this brilliance and ingenuity of Lead Users in a systematic way, explore the high potential ideas and co-create to expand the LEGO idea in ways we haven’t yet imagined.”

The Lead User Lab will focus on breakthrough ideas on a wide spectrum of future application ranging from new experiences, services, channels and audiences, while keeping the Lead User front and center.

What’s a Lead User?

Lead Users are at the starting edge of future market and consumer trends – they experience latent needs that often haven’t been crystalized yet and tailor innovative solutions that are well ahead of the market. 

The LEGO Group currently benefits from AFOLs’ (Adult Fans of LEGO) amazing talents in many ways. Whether as loyal consumers of LEGO products and experiences, as highly creative producers of content, experiences and many other LEGO knowledge areas, or as amazing brand advocates – and some of them can turn out to be the future Lead Users.

Over a third of AFOLs self-report that they have developed a LEGO related innovation – with Lead User Lab, we will explore a unique opportunity to get closer to the breakthrough ideas pipeline, capture the best and turn them into reality together with Lead Users.

How will it work?

The Lead User Lab will take in ideas on two simultaneous fronts. A dedicated innovation portal will be launched, where all potential Lead User candidates can submit their radical innovation ideas and keep track of the intake and evaluation process done by the LEGO Group.

Simultaneously, the Lead User Lab team will also approach various existing Lead Users who are extremely motivated in finding ingenious solutions to a LEGO related need, and who have developed a prototype, solution, or have an established business, and are eager to co-create on taking their idea to the next level.

If you already have a breakthrough idea, we encourage you to keep an eye out for the Lead User Lab innovation portal launch. And if you can’t wait, please send us a note to kvn@lego.com Please expect a delay in getting an answer. The LUL team will not be onboard until August

The lead user Lab is planned as a two-year pilot and the LEGO group will ongoingly evaluate the potential of scaling this initiative.

Hopefully this "LuL" doesn't turn into a chatroom full of LoL's...

But it does *sound* interesting, to say the least.

Seems as though TLG is having a hard time coming up with something other than fire & police stations...?

idk why they don't just hire people on as short-term contractors, or create some sort of STEM/STEaM -based internships...?

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Seems as though TLG is having a hard time coming up with something other than fire & police stations...?

idk why they don't just hire people on as short-term contractors, or create some sort of STEM/STEaM -based internships...?

>Fully< agreed on!

Quite honestly: It sounds like TLG is venturing into the circle of "big companies life" where the people pushing and knowing "it" either retired or simply died. And these people took all that unaccountable knowledge with them. Plus: The world is changing. BIG TIME. Plus: Going from simple ABS bricks to current BLE device technology - encased in ABS plastic molds - is - "different".

I really fully agree: Why on earth don't they hire like crazy? Why don't they contract out like crazy? Why don't they alley - in a "you have ideas, I give you a share" way? Vigorously? Instead they suggest the "Your are so super smart - tell us how to do it" way - for what? For free? For honorable mention? With China on their back?

Oh my. This is … crazy.

When you want to push through in a highly competitive market - act like that. TLG has long lost the charisma of being a "Toy Company". They are a fully blown world-wide operating power player. So get the best people on board, give them a living and cut the crap. Or voice it differently. Man.

Just my 2 cents.

Best
Thorsten 

i basicaly want the same things the old one had just more "realistic" like having a monorail that really grabs onto the track and also i would like to have 4 wide cars just like the orignal one.

Lego wont release this anyway but that are just my wishes

XG BC

A maker and seller of LEGO copies is angry about an other maker and seller of LEGO copies? What an irony... 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:13 AM, XG BC said:

i basicaly want the same things the old one had just more "realistic" like having a monorail that really grabs onto the track and also i would like to have 4 wide cars just like the orignal one.

Lego wont release this anyway but that are just my wishes

XG BC

A realistic straddle beam monorail would be awesome to see, and it would look great in a city as well

On 9/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, Greenstar said:

A realistic straddle beam monorail would be awesome to see, and it would look great in a city as well

the only thing we really need as stated above is a curved tile with a reasonable radius i have made a 4 wide monorail motor car have a look at it:

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/GVjKJ7Z32nz

or have a look at the unpowered car:

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/BLvGWNwkvGy

the monorail works with a masao hidaka style track.

XG BC

Edited by XG BC

13 hours ago, XG BC said:

the only thing we really need as stated above is a curved tile with a reasonable radius i have made a 4 wide monorail motor car have a look at it:

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/GVjKJ7Z32nz

or have a look at the unpowered car:

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/BLvGWNwkvGy

the monorail works with a masao hidaka style track.

XG BC

That is a good system to use.  It’s pretty universal.  It also works well

Personally, I want them not to invest in monorails because they are essentially glorified buses, and have been largely superseded by light rail projects in most places. Monorails require costly infrastructure rivaling that of traditional heavy rail trains, with none of the benefits of steel-wheel-on-steel-rail efficiency. They were in every way a fad, and are going to become increasingly obscure with the passage of time.

Although the Crocodile was flawed, those are the types of rail sets that Lego should prioritize - one-offs that can be appreciated by AFOL and child builders the world over. 

Now, if Lego wants to design monorails that don't require ultra-specialized parts, my position shifts to one of indifference. But I'm actively opposed to a dedicated-track monorail being introduced again.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Personally, I want them not to invest in monorails because they are essentially glorified buses, and have been largely superseded by light rail projects in most places. Monorails require costly infrastructure rivaling that of traditional heavy rail trains, with none of the benefits of steel-wheel-on-steel-rail efficiency. They were in every way a fad, and are going to become increasingly obscure with the passage of time.

Although the Crocodile was flawed, those are the types of rail sets that Lego should prioritize - one-offs that can be appreciated by AFOL and child builders the world over. 

Now, if Lego wants to design monorails that don't require ultra-specialized parts, my position shifts to one of indifference. But I'm actively opposed to a dedicated-track monorail being introduced again.

Your saying that light rail is not a glorified bus?

also, I’ve developed a bi-directional system that utilises just standard LEGO track to allow two trains to pass.  Each train hangs below one of the two rails on the piece like the Wuppertal Schwebebahn.

4 hours ago, Greenstar said:

Your saying that light rail is not a glorified bus?

also, I’ve developed a bi-directional system that utilises just standard LEGO track to allow two trains to pass.  Each train hangs below one of the two rails on the piece like the Wuppertal Schwebebahn.

Light rail still runs on a track - it's more closely related to a trolley or an early gas-electric, but it's a train.

Monorails actually have rubber tires that 'drive' on the concrete spans. This dramatically increases friction, and thus hugely reduces their efficiency. The concrete biways aren't tracks - they're basically a roadway folded in on its sides. What you're left with is essentially a bus, albeit one with a massively expensive, hyper-specialized supporting infrastructure.

This is the reason why systems like the Seattle Monorail have been reduced to little more than novelty attractions, when they were supposed to be the first piece in an expansive system. Meanwhile, Washington State is investing billions to grow the light rail dozens of miles out into the suburbs.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

2 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Light rail still runs on a track - it's more closely related to a trolley or an early gas-electric, but it's a train.

Monorails actually have rubber tires that 'drive' on the concrete spans. This dramatically increases friction, and thus hugely reduces their efficiency. The concrete biways aren't tracks - they're basically a roadway folded in on its sides. What you're left with is essentially a bus, albeit one with a massively expensive, hyper-specialized supporting infrastructure.

This is the reason why systems like the Seattle Monorail have been reduced to little more than novelty attractions, when they were supposed to be the first piece in an expansive system. Meanwhile, Washington State is investing billions to grow the light rail dozens of miles out into the suburbs.

Not all systems are novelties, the Japanese have more than eight of the worlds major transit monorails, and the Germans have the oldest, in Wuppertal, which hangs on a single steel rail.

I'd rather see LEGO develop some official motorized set for the rollercoaster track, maybe some new curve and slope parts, and use that instead of a entirely new system.

Also would love to see some rail packs being sold as seperate sets.

Not sure if banked curves would work but that could be nice if it did, for both monorail and rollercoasters.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, Greenstar said:

Not all systems are novelties, the Japanese have more than eight of the worlds major transit monorails, and the Germans have the oldest, in Wuppertal, which hangs on a single steel rail.

But the Wuppertaler Schwebebahn runs on a single rail, it's an entirely different concept to both monorails and regular railed traffic.

On 9/9/2020 at 6:01 AM, Amoreternum said:

But the Wuppertaler Schwebebahn runs on a single rail, it's an entirely different concept to both monorails and regular railed traffic.

monorail = single rail. in my opinion the wuppertaler schwebebahn is indeed a monorail just not a straddle beam one wich you would see at lets say disneyland. there is one other „schwebebahn” style sytem in germany wich is in dresden but it works more like a funicular in a sense that the cars dont have motors in them but are beeing pulled by a cable. I rode the dresden one twice but i would love to go to wuppertal to ride the bigger one

XG BC

2 hours ago, XG BC said:

i would love to go to wuppertal to ride the bigger one

Do it!!!

I am with the University of Wuppertal, live near-by and do take it whenever I can. It is a highly efficient means of transporting a good number of people through the valley. There is even more to it: It runs mostly "over" the river "Wupper", which has - well - created the valley ("Tal") within eons - which is spectacular for itself. Swings out nicely in curves - and most of the stations are built towering the river as well. Exit to the left/right is then a decision, as you need to find a bridge to get the other side ... or you just walk back into the station and take the other exit ... and the trains are arriving every 3 to whatever minutes, depending on demand.

They are replacing the old cars now with "new" ones - just to find out that what worked for +100 years - does not work anymore - reliably. So right now it only runs on weekends. It is a shame. They'll fix it. It will take about 6 months to a year. Yes, we are living in 2020.

Best
Thorsten

yea if i ever go there i will definitely do it. do you know wich part of the system doesnt work reliably?

XG BC