The classic 1967 Ford Eleanor GT500 was a fearsome beast in its day, with a 428 cubic inch big block rippling the pavement courtesy of an astounding 355 horsepower. It's also the car made famous as "Eleanor,"  Steve McQueen's awesome ride in the original 1974 movie Gone In Sixty Seconds.

With so much heritage to this classic car, I knew this build had to reflect that hardcore stance and styling everyone grew to love.

26701691297_0d6e4606fe_b.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang- let’s drive by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

In an attempt to stay true to the mechanics and design, I began with the classic live axle rear suspension and an inboard suspension style in the front with Ackerman steering and torsion bar.

41523469032_9722264cc1_b.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang- Chrome engine block, gold pistons, red chrome wheels - by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I threw my new red chrome rims on the car just for a quick photo with lots of bling :)

39803272680_c1905c8183_b.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

The car also sports front and rear headlights, motorized hood and trunk, 2 XL motors for drive, 1 servo motor for steering, 2 Buwizz batteries in the trunk, a chrome V8 engine block with gold pistons, working fan and blower, snap back doors. 

41571095582_e860d57aa0_b.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I did try to follow the shape of the car closely, as you can see in the overlay below:

41611100901_6772d01862_z.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

After so many new challenges on this car I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome. So sit back, grab a cuppa and check the video!

40856931134_519c2e2e6c_b.jpg

40708694625_d39a970a06_b.jpg

41611108131_de7dc4cc0d_b.jpg

And as always - a huge thanks to my brother @DugaldIC , @KD123 & @technic_addict for their support throughout this build. 

1967 Eleanor Mustang

Edited by Lox Lego

Fantastic model, I love the Cobra symbol on the side. The whole build looks great - I think it's the attention to all the small details.  Keep up the good work!

This is so cool! Incredible work on all the working features and design work. Looks spot on and the white and black are a good combo. Keep up the awesome work! :thumbup:

Great job on this replica, very recognizeable - especially I like the rear view :thumbup:! This is one massive built. All the dimensions / proportions seem to be correct and flow really well. All openable doors and bonnets motorized *huh* ... The old tires/rims suit well and contribute to the retro feeling of the car, but obviously they have the disadvantage with bad unrealistic offset and pivot point - did you limit the turn radius so much for that reason?

One detail appears quite strange for me (probably I´m ignorant about American cars) - so why does the air cleaner rotate?

Edited by brunojj1

56 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

The old tires/rims suit well and contribute to the retro feeling of the car, but obviously they have the disadvantage with bad unrealistic offset and pivot point - did you limit the turn radius so much for that reason?

I noticed it in every model that came out of Lox's hands. The steering is limited. I don't understand it.

Congratulations on an Excellent  recreation of an iconic car. :wub:

I think the rear end is stunning and you really nailed the look and feel.

As you know, I was critical of the front and was glad that you made some changes to improve the look.

Very different build than your super cars you are known for so kudos for taking on the challenge!

I look forward to seeing it up close later in the week!

This car is awesome and I could never create something of this caliber.  However; there are some inaccuracies in your opening statement.

It's also the car made famous as "Eleanor,"  Steve McQueen's awesome ride in the original 1974 movie Gone In Sixty Seconds.

This "Eleanor" was the movie car from the 2000 version of Gone in Sixty Seconds staring Nickolas Cage.  Steve McQueen died in 1980 and therefore couldn't have been in the movie, but he did drive a Mustang in the 1968 movie Bullit.  The 1974 iteration of Gone in Sixty Seconds did have a "Eleanor" Mustang, but it was a 1973 Mach1 and didn't star Steve McQueen.

Did you know that you can own an "Eleanor" replica built new today?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-01/own-a-brand-new-eleanor-mustang-from-gone-in-60-seconds-for-200-000

Kudos to creating this amazing model.

Great job. This had to be a very difficult car to shape. The front windshield looks a bit strange where it meets the roof and some of the panels don't really flow along the macaroni technique around the wheel arches give it a bit of an earthquake appearance. I would be interested to see what it looks like without those pin connectors on the flexible axles. Love the idea of using those pieces for the side roof vents.:thumbup:

22 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Well done. The white looks stunning. Another great build. 

21 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

Killing it bro, turned out awesome! 

21 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Ah, a classic car! Another incredible build! :thumbup: The chrome bits add a lot to the overall appearance. I'd love to see more chrome in your next cars. :wink:

20 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Fantastic model, I love the Cobra symbol on the side. The whole build looks great - I think it's the attention to all the small details.  Keep up the good work!

18 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I waited so long for this to become a topic! 

Great job! You certainly did do it justice!

18 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

This is so cool! Incredible work on all the working features and design work. Looks spot on and the white and black are a good combo. Keep up the awesome work! :thumbup:

Thanks all :) Leo - I've got tons of chrome now for new builds - excited to use them. Busterhaus - I stole those cobra's from one of my sons Ninjago sets. I saw them and immediately knew how i could implement them. 
I was also fond of the white and black combo, I had originally wanted to do a blue stripe, but the parts took a while to arrive thru BL and black seemed decent so I stuck with it.

15 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Great job on this replica, very recognizeable - especially I like the rear view :thumbup:! This is one massive built. All the dimensions / proportions seem to be correct and flow really well. All openable doors and bonnets motorized *huh* ... The old tires/rims suit well and contribute to the retro feeling of the car, but obviously they have the disadvantage with bad unrealistic offset and pivot point - did you limit the turn radius so much for that reason?

One detail appears quite strange for me (probably I´m ignorant about American cars) - so why does the air cleaner rotate?

14 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

I noticed it in every model that came out of Lox's hands. The steering is limited. I don't understand it.

Hey guys, thanks for the comment :) I was influenced by @LvdH to use those rims and tires as they suit the build. I'm glad I used them, and had geared down the steering as a vehicle this weight can damage the steering if it has a larger turning radius. I has more of a turning radius that what was seen in the video, but I was filming and steering at the same time so I didn't turn the wheels all the way.  I always gear down the porsche rims (As Lego did in the Porsche set) because the wheels have such a deep dish that if they turned the full amount they would rub on the suspension arms.

11 hours ago, LvdH said:

Awesome car! This will look fantastic on the shelf next to my Sheepo Mustang.

10 hours ago, KD123 said:

Fantastic build!  Can't wait to see this in person.  Well done!

9 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Congratulations on an Excellent  recreation of an iconic car. :wub:

I think the rear end is stunning and you really nailed the look and feel.

As you know, I was critical of the front and was glad that you made some changes to improve the look.

Very different build than your super cars you are known for so kudos for taking on the challenge!

I look forward to seeing it up close later in the week!

Can't thank you guys enough for your help Technic_addict, KD and LvdH. Look forward to meeting you guys again later this week :)

6 hours ago, AndyCW said:

This car is awesome and I could never create something of this caliber.  However; there are some inaccuracies in your opening statement.

It's also the car made famous as "Eleanor,"  Steve McQueen's awesome ride in the original 1974 movie Gone In Sixty Seconds.

This "Eleanor" was the movie car from the 2000 version of Gone in Sixty Seconds staring Nickolas Cage.  Steve McQueen died in 1980 and therefore couldn't have been in the movie, but he did drive a Mustang in the 1968 movie Bullit.  The 1974 iteration of Gone in Sixty Seconds did have a "Eleanor" Mustang, but it was a 1973 Mach1 and didn't star Steve McQueen.

Did you know that you can own an "Eleanor" replica built new today?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-01/own-a-brand-new-eleanor-mustang-from-gone-in-60-seconds-for-200-000

Kudos to creating this amazing model.

Thanks for the correction - clearly a bigger Mustang fan than myself :blush: Cheers 

2 hours ago, Meatman said:

Great job. This had to be a very difficult car to shape. The front windshield looks a bit strange where it meets the roof and some of the panels don't really flow along the macaroni technique around the wheel arches give it a bit of an earthquake appearance. I would be interested to see what it looks like without those pin connectors on the flexible axles. Love the idea of using those pieces for the side roof vents.:thumbup:

Hey meatman, thanks for the comments. I was asked about removing the 2l connectors from the wheel arches already, but it just doesn't look right. The extra width of the 2l connectors cover the small gaps around the wheel for an overall better appearance. The roof was a touch different than I would have hoped, but its unique and I grew to like it once it was built. Thanks all - onto my next challenge with @DugaldIC - STAY TUNED!

41633507581_6b4a0a5124_b.jpg1967 Eleanor Mustang Engine bay goodness by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

Edited by Lox Lego

18 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Brunojj1 - confirming that I have yet to ever see a rotating air filter in any car - North American or otherwise -  however, in principle it might help to force more air into the engine :) and be performance aiding somehow. :)

Kidding aside, I noticed this feature a while back but didn't ask Lox about it because I figured he added it as a creative feature as engine bays are typically bland.  

Can't wait to see this in person Lox.  Now get back to building supercars please! 

Really nice car, the shaping is spot on. Keep it up! Plus I love that little snake logo on the side :classic:

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

On 2018-04-22 at 9:56 PM, KD123 said:

Brunojj1 - confirming that I have yet to ever see a rotating air filter in any car - North American or otherwise -  however, in principle it might help to force more air into the engine :) and be performance aiding somehow. :)

Kidding aside, I noticed this feature a while back but didn't ask Lox about it because I figured he added it as a creative feature as engine bays are typically bland.  

Can't wait to see this in person Lox.  Now get back to building supercars please! 

You explained it perfectly KD :)

21 hours ago, Moran said:

amazing !! will there be instructions?

Hi! Yes, I will Make instructions very soon and post them on rebrickable.

1 hour ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Really nice car, the shaping is spot on. Keep it up! Plus I love that little snake logo on the side :classic:

Thanks @Offroadcreat1ons - I couldn’t pass it up. It suited the car too well 

Back end blues - chrome rims FTW

Edited by Lox Lego

This is a fantastic car that it will be so much fun to build. Thanks man for all your hard work! You try to make me run out of parts...but not yet!!

All in all, this is amazing! I really like the red cobra on the fenders. Carroll Shelby would be proud. You should build the Bullitt Mustang next. :wink:

That is some great shaping and the wheels......in chrome look good.  I am still not really a fan of the beams over flex axles technique for my own MOCs but have to admit that most of the time you use this technique with great effect.  However, in this case it might be less noticeable if you used the 1l beams rather than the 2l pin joiners over the wheel arches as they are now available in white.   Regardless, great MOC 

On 4/23/2018 at 10:09 PM, AFOLegofan66 said:

This is a fantastic car that it will be so much fun to build. Thanks man for all your hard work! You try to make me run out of parts...but not yet!!

My gosh I couldn't imagine you running out of parts :wink:

On 5/5/2018 at 5:17 PM, StudRobotics said:

All in all, this is amazing! I really like the red cobra on the fenders. Carroll Shelby would be proud. You should build the Bullitt Mustang next. :wink:

Cheers!! Now that this has been built I won't be doing a mustang for a very long time...

On 5/5/2018 at 7:26 PM, Pvdb said:

That is some great shaping and the wheels......in chrome look good.  I am still not really a fan of the beams over flex axles technique for my own MOCs but have to admit that most of the time you use this technique with great effect.  However, in this case it might be less noticeable if you used the 1l beams rather than the 2l pin joiners over the wheel arches as they are now available in white.   Regardless, great MOC 

Thanks @Pvdb! That is a really good Idea, thanks for that. It would have looked much better. Time to spock up on 1x1 beams now...

On 5/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, Techniccrack said:

that engine is just crazy man! wole model looks great!

love it!

Thanks!

I've recently finished the instructions for the Mustang, they're avail. at Rebrickable! https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-14616/Loxlego/1967-eleanor-mustang

27867619178_af2f2bac8d_b.jpgChromatic effect - 67’ Mustang by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

I bought all my chrome parts from Bubul bricklink store - great prices and selection! 
https://store.bricklink.com/Bubul

27036395047_730f371bf2_b.jpg67’ Mustang Chrome bits by lachlan cameron, on Flickr

41942365132_6d719a266c_b.jpgMustang lighting by lachlan cameron, on Flickr