Murdoch17

1920's Mad Scientist Mansion - modular 75930 MOD with vintage car

I was inspired to create this model from the 2018 Jurassic World set 75930, Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate, with some design cues from set 10228, Haunted House. The dollhouse-style model was built from the set pictures, with the play features removed and opening rear sections added to match the front half. The model also features the round "time window" for the mad scientist's experiments, along with lightning rods on top of the house. (for powering his experiments) Here is the in-universe backstory for the house and the enigmatic Doctor Harold Wormwood:

40175575270_e6efcb5a8f_z.jpg

This badly-preserved photograph (from April 1st, 1926) is all that physically remains of the infamous Wormwood Estate, reportedly taken just two weeks ways before Dr. Harold Wormwood started his time-window device for the first / last time, which resulted in a massive flash of light, leveling the mansion and leaving a large crater in the middle of the surrounding Louisiana bayou. Nothing remained of the building, the machine, or the Doctor in the immediate area, and it seems no noise was made during the explosion. Some crackpot "experts" of the time believed that the time window caused the house and grounds to move out of time itself, moving either forwards or backwards depending on the machine's setting. Of course, the truth may never be known, as the sunken crater is now filled with water (and alligators) from the nearby bayou...

27113292767_5537f50af5_z.jpg

...and here is the same picture without the special Google Images filters.

27113292817_a80ae97f16_z.jpg

The rear of the mansion features a conservatory and the chimney flue.

40175576280_b0d15ea31b_z.jpg

The house folds apart, with the rear section opening in quarters up to 90 degrees, while the conservatory opens up to 180 to allow for figure placement. (Technic pins hold the model shut for transport and ease of handling)

40175576340_a85fdd9620_z.jpg

The bottom floor features the living room, while the second floor is the bedroom, with bed and pipe organ, plus a beating the still-heart of Dr. Wormwood's beloved deceased wife, Myrtle. The third floor features more crazy experiments, plus the stairway to his greatest achievement, the time window!

27113291577_9fe1860b16_z.jpg

The right rear quarter features the conservatory and some furniture on the second and third floors. This section also has stairs from first to second floors.

41263597974_60886a20c2_z.jpg

The left rear quarter features the fireplace and a frozen fly monster that is all that remains of his first teleportation window project. The stairs to the third floor are also on this side.

25818385738_b37bdaf79c_z.jpg

This car was originally designed by Tom.Netherton1 from Flickr as his Mercedes-Benz SSK 'Count Trossi' (seen here ) I heavily modified it into the car seen here, and it still needs some work to match the online version. It is fitted it with a single driver's seat, spare tire, and a reddish brown paint scheme.

25818385858_fdd608391b_z.jpg

The rear of the model features a spare tire and license plate, plus it fits a figure in the drivers seat.

This concludes the post for now, as the real life house is on the to-build list, while the car is already (mostly) built in real bricks. As usual, comments questions and complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Looks great :classic:

The car reminds me a lot of Monster Fighters, which is a good thing. I loved that theme. 

I'd suggest something like a secret basement where the mad scientist performs unethical experiments with animals and humans. 

On 4/20/2018 at 11:20 PM, Robert8 said:

Looks great :classic:

The car reminds me a lot of Monster Fighters, which is a good thing. I loved that theme. 

I'd suggest something like a secret basement where the mad scientist performs unethical experiments with animals and humans. 

Thanks, and I added a couple crazier experiments to the top floor, as their is no basement to add them too. I also changed around the car, I hope you don't mind...

On 4/27/2018 at 5:33 AM, davidhager said:

Great Job.

Thank you!

NOTE:

The first post is now updated with new pictures of the revised car and modified house.... I hope you all enjoy it! :classic:

Edited by Murdoch17